41.) The Chunin Exams: the Sound of History

"The second part of the Chunin exams are surprising and are  very dangerous." Kakashi states, looking over Konohamaru's shoulders who has his hands on a crystal ball. Konohamaru isn't exactly retired now that it was decided that the ninth Hokage be the official hokage so he stayed in the building in his former office. "Is that the third hokage's crystal viewer? I haven't seen that in so long."

"Yes. I found it in grandfather's stuff. It's very useful for snooping around." Konohamaru adjutsted his chakra into the crystal ball to move his view to Saruto and his teammates. "And yes, I do agree. This team-evaluating method is very dangerous but the first hokage insisted when he was reanimated."

"It honestly sounds like a stupid idea, Konohamaru. What if the kids get hurt?"

"The Hokages are some of the most powerful and legendary groups of people in history. I'm sure they'll teach the children a lesson or two about team work. Besides the second hokage, I don't believe they would kill anyone." Konohamaru defends while Kakashi sighs.

"Okay, they're your responsibility." Kakashi starts to walk out the door. "Now come, let's watch the battle."

———

"For the second stage of the chunin exams, you will be fighting the legends of history." Shikadai announces in the stage outside the Konoha boundaries. Next to the stage was five pine boxes and in front of Shikadai were the wide-eyed young genins, terrified of what's to come. "Orochimaru, if you would activate the jutsu-" Shikadai orders the man who clapped his hands together and activates the reanimation jutsu. "You each will be fighting a hokage. If you managed to ring the bell, you move to the next stage of the chunin exams. You will have ten hours and it will not be an easy task. We were first going to assign this to the Jonin exams but we had a lot of faith in you genins so good luck." Shikadai gets off the stage and the first hokage, the second hokage, the third hokage, the fourth hokage, the seventh hokage, the ninth hokage, and the eighth hokage's cover, Boruto Uzumaki comes on stage to list their groups.

"Oh no," Minakami says.

"We got-" Asuma starts.

"...the second hokage." Saruto finishes.

"If everyone is with their appropriate Hokages, then we'll begin. The timer for the ten hour mark is set. Go!"

The second hokage decided to put his bell on a tree, having full confidence he wouldn't let this team pass.

"An Uchiha, huh?" The Second hokage smirks. But what type of Uchiha would he be? Would he be like Kagami or Madara? Minakami takes the first strike and activates her water dragon jutsu to strike the second hokage who in turn stuck the girl's dragon back with his own water dragon.

Saruto then reconnects his jutsu with Minakami and Asuma to talk to the two in private. Whatever you do, don't waste your chakra just yet. We just want to see how he defends and then we'll find a way around it.

Asuma nods to Saruto and activates his shadow possession jutsu to touch Tobirama who immediately saw and jumped into the air and out of the jutsu's boundaries. Asuma, that's not what I meant. That jutsu requires a lot of chakra!"

Sorry, Saruto. Asuma chuckles nervously.

Saruto, Asuma. I want to try something. We all attack at the same time so follow my lead. Asuma and Saruto nods to Minakami's words which made the second hokage suspicious. How are they communicating? They don't even lock eyes. Tobirama thinks in his head.

Suddenly, in his side view, Saruto's teammates try to hit him. He looked in front of him and the two teammates were still there. He didn't know when but the two had switched with clones and he had to figure out which ones were it.

One of the two Minakamis sheilds her father's sword and attempts to hit the second Hokage in the back. Quickly, the Hokage moved out of the way and near the tree where the bell was placed. He puts his fingers in a cross and forms two shadow clone jutsus. One would be gaurding the bell while the other would help the original fight the children.

———

The battle went slowly with the group of three fighting back and the Hokage pushes back. Soon it was already nine hours. The children's chakra was almost to their limits except Saruto. He stood, sword yeilded in front of him. He looks to Minakami and then to Asuma who was clutching his chest where his scar was. He finally decided to bring the battle a step further.

Asuma. Minakami. Rest for now. I'll take this battle a step further. He says to the two in his genjutsu mind link. The two only nod and Asuma lays on the floor, heaving in lots of air.

Saruto puts his katana back in its casing and stands in front of the second Hokage on his own.

"Saruto... I guess it's time to take it up a notch?" The second Hokage pushes. Saruto only nods and the second Hokage activates his intense chakra which marks the floor and almost splits the tree behind him in half. Saruto activates a little bit of Kurama's chakra and the second Hokage's most hated feature, the Mangekyo sharingan.

The next few minutes consisted on the two powerful beings playing chase and hitting each other with big jutsus like Rasengan and Multiple water bullet jutsu, a specialty of the second Hokage. The battle became so intense that the battlefield became raw dirt and almost no trees except the tree where the bell was. The other groups were moved and Minakami and Asuma were moved far  away from the battle field.

Saruto then remembers what this whole competition was for. He then targets the second hokage's clone where the bell was hidden, he then activated Amaterasu and lights the two clones on fire. He then yields his katana towards the bells and within one second, he transported to one side of the field to the tree. The bells jingled. On last second, the alarm blares and the competition was over. The second hokage didn't notice but the boy had stabbed his flying raijin kunais in place and teleported quick to the tree. Despite his loss, the second Hokage smiled over the boy and offered his hand to help the boy up.

Saruto accepted the hand but let's out a howl of pain as his vision blacks out for a moment. The second Hokage frowns.

"It's starting." He answers the obvious, unasked question. Saruto looks up at the reanimated soul with tears and blood running down his cheek.

As the competition was over, the ninth Hokage approached her son.

"...the effects of the Mangekyo sharingan. My grandfather, my uncle and my father all have Mangekyo Sharingan and as do I. The biggest effect the Mangekyo sharingan leaves is blindness. The first known eternal mangekyo sharingan holder is Madara Uchiha. He took the eyes of his brother after the second Hokage killed him at a very young age. My father took his brother's eyes and just before he died, he gave his right eye to me. I'm blind in one eye since father's left eye was taken by Momoshiki in your father's body." The ninth Hokage explains and the second Hokage nods in agreement.

"Let's come home and I'll explain more of your powers..."