26. Guardian Angels

You woke up in a hospital room. There was some talking in front of you.

When fluttering your eyes open you saw Akemi along with his IV poll talking to a doctor who had probably assisted you and your sister's injuries. To the right of you was your sister in her own bed she was sound asleep.

The female doctor looks at you and makes eye contact with your now open eyes.

"One of them is awake." The doctor smiles.

"Oh thank god," Akemi walks at a fast pace towards your bed. "Are you okay?!"

"...I'm okay... How's Nami...?" You say, tiredly, looking at Nami.

"She's fine [Name]..." He sighs and strokes your head. "You guys didn't suffer anything too severe, I think the worst thing that is going to come out of this is the trauma."

"But... My head...?"

He sighs again, "Even though it looked pretty bad, you were lucky. You somehow didn't get any internal bleeding. I think they called it a grade 0 concussion? You might have a headache for a little while but it should go away." He smiles at you, softly. "You had some guardian angels looking over you, maybe mom and dad."

You start to tear up. You thought he was going to be mad again. That he was going to scold you for putting you and Nami in danger.

"[Name]... Why are you crying?"

"I'm sorry..."

"For what?"

"For being... stubborn... For getting me and Nami into this mess. For everything. For being myself."

You shut your eyes tightly in hopes it would somehow keep the tears in your eyes from spilling out.

Akemi leans down and hugs you to the best of his ability.

"Never apologize for being yourself [Name]... Never."

"But I-"

"No. You saved your sister from being in a more awful condition. You stepping in made you Nami's guardian angel. And don't you dare say it was your fault you two ended up in the situation in the first place because we both know damn well if you knew that would've happened you would've never have left Nami's side."

Akemi finally pulls away from the hug and the blonde doctor steps in.

"Your brother is right Miss [Last Name], you are very lucky to not have suffered any major injuries. You and your sister will recover in no time."

"So she doesn't have anything major either?" You asked.

"No, your sister does not. She has some cuts and bruises, but she was able to get out pretty lucky as well. The worst she got was a fractured wrist but that'll heal with time. It was good you stepped in when you did."

"But she's going to be traumatized... Isn't she?" You look at the doctor for answer that you already knew.

"Sadly, but it's the human in us to feel that way after something. But she'll get through it. From what I can tell, this is one strong family."

You nod in confirmation.

"You two girls should be free to go home in the morning." She smiles and exits the room after waving to you and Akemi.

You look over at your brother. "Akemi?"

He looks back at you, "Hm?"

"How did you know what happened?"

"Oikawa came by earlier to check in on you and Nami. He explained to us what happened from his point of view."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. He said that once he got back to his car he realized he forgot the surprise he had been meaning to give you. So he ran back to the park to try and give it to you but you weren't there. He assumed you were on your way home and so he ran in that direction in hopes to catch up to you..." Akemi sighs, "Once he got to a certain point he heard Nami scream bloody murder and he started to follow where it came from. When he turned into the alleyway he saw you were passed out with what looked like a severe head injury. He texted Iwaizumi his location without context and then immediately confronted the guys. Apparently some other guys... from the school... Karasuno... Is it? Saw Oikawa and decided to investigate what was happening. And well... I think you know the rest."

"Oh wow... I- How is Oikawa now-? Where is he?-"

"He had to go home but he visited you earlier. You were sleeping, which speaking of," Akemi strokes your head again, "I think you should get some rest, okay?"

"Okay."

Akemi smiles as you close your eyes, falling into the void of your own thoughts.

Oikawa's POV

"She's not good for you Tooru."

"You have no right to tell me what's good for me and what's not."

"I think I do! I am your father, I have every right to do so."

"[Name] ends up in bad situations, so what?!"

"So what? Tooru this is the second day in a row that girl has put you in trouble! Did I or did I not say I didn't want to see you in a situation like that again?"

"You did but- She was in trouble! I wasn't going to just stand there and watch! What kind of person would I be if I just turned around and continued on with my day? Do you want me to be an awful person?"

"No! But it's the fact that it was her. I'm glad you helped her but from the looks of it she's nothing but trouble."

"I don't get what you're trying to say."

"Look, Tooru," he sits down on the couch. "She seems like such a sweet girl but-"

"But what?" Oikawa said, firm and annoyed.

"But I don't want you getting hurt because of her. I get it's not her fault, but I want to keep my son safe. Is it so awful that I'm just trying to be a good dad?"

"Look, Dad, I appreciate you trying to look out for me but I want to protect her."

"Tooru-"

"Father, to me, she's not just some other girl. Okay? For once... I have finally met someone who actually cares about me and not my looks or reputation. She cares about my goals and dreams..."

Oikawa's dad looks at him intensely.

Oikawa's dad sighs, "But if she keeps getting you into messes like these, you can kiss your dreams and goals goodbye."

Oikawa is absolutely blood boiled by his dad's statement. "You're impossible." He says while turning around and walking up to his room.

"Tooru-!"

"Hunny, just leave it." Oikawa's mom sits down next to his father.

"But he's not listening to me, I'm scared he's going to end up getting hurt."

"Sweetie, it's love. This isn't some love story, this is reality. And in reality, awful things happen. Don't tell me you've forgotten everything we've gone through."

"No, I haven't."

"Then let him go. If it's in their stars to be together, it'll happen."