34. Damaging Memories

Everything felt frozen.

"...What?" Your voice like a heartbroken whisper.

Kaneko looks down as tears start to fall out of his eyes. Making the dirt underneath him wet.

"I'm so sorry." He says, his voice almost inaudible.

This conversation uncovered old memories you tried so hard to bury.

"I don't understand..."

He looks up at you with his eyes that are producing what looks like liquid gold. He was surprised that you hadn't left yet.

"Everyone died on scene-"

"-No." He cuts you off. "Everyone in the car he was in died..."

Your eyes start to fill up with tears when the realization hits you.

"I-" He begins to choke on his tears. "I was in the opposing car that hit them."

You start to back away very slowly, shaking your head.

"I was drunk driving- It was my bad, I- I had just come from a party and I swear there was an animal in the road. I didn't want to hit so I swerved-"

"-Shut up." You put your hands to your ears and shake your head.

"I swerved into the other lane." His voice gets louder, allowing you to hear him no matter how hard your hands were pinned against your ears. "By the time I saw the car there was nothing I could do-"

"-SHUT UP." Tears start to escape your eyes and roll down your face.

"They didn't stop either- My car overpowered which sent them to tumble-!" He takes a deep breath from remembering that night. "I went to go help them but when I realized it was Sora and his friends I froze-"

"-JUST SHUT UP. PLEASE."

"And before I knew it the car went up into flames and there was nothing I could do."

Kaneko then tries to reach out to you.

You slap his hand away and shake your head.

"Please, [Name], I'm so sorry." He sobs, "I wish I could undo everything. I looked up to Sora-"

"-Bullshit!" You cut him off which leaves Kaneko speechless. "You probably killed him because you were jealous or something. And I hope it haunts you every night that you killed other innocent people too," you say, clenching your jaw. Angry tears were rolling down your face.

"No [Name], that's not true at all, please." He reaches out for you once again.

"Don't touch me!" You push him. Not enough to make him fall over but enough for him to stumble backwards.

You took this as an opening and booked it.

"[NAME]! COME BACK! PLEASE!" His loud cries call from behind you. His voice cracking in pain in between, "I HAD TO GET IT OFF MY CHEST- COME BACK. PLEASE."

You ignored him. Instead you were lost in your own maze of thoughts.

That's why he looked so familiar.

Flashbacks of the news channel that night filled back into your head.

Kaneko's face appeared on it. Saying he was involved in the accident.

That he was the cause of the accident.

I must've blurred out any information after I head about Sora. You think to yourself, as your heart once again visits the past.