III

F A L L O N

"At night when the stars light up my room, I sit by myself. Talking to the moon, tryna to get to you. In hopes you're on the other side, talking to me too."

. . .

When I wake up the next morning, I walk into a kitchen that smells like empanadas. A smile lights up my face when I see the dish on the kitchen island.

Mom and Stella are seated at the table, having a cup of coffee. "Good morning," Stella smiles when she sees me.

"Good morning," I grin and press a kiss on mom's cheek. "Slept well?" mom asks. I nod and walk over to the counter, my mouth watering at the sight of the empanadas.

My eyes move to the spot where Nicholas left me the Skittles last night.

I immediately scooped them up with my hand and poured them into my mouth, too impatient to eat them one by one.

I put two empanadas on my plate and take some ketchup, before joining my mom and Stella at the table.

"How was your first night here?" I ask after my first bite. "Good, the bed's amazing and I love the bathroom. I never took the time to appreciate it," she says, focusing her attention on her fruit salad and popping a grape into her mouth.

"I'm glad it was. I hope you and Nicholas can adapt pretty quickly," mom says.

Gritting my teeth together, I prevent myself from heaving out a long sigh. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the Skittles last night.

He remembered me.

He knew he took the Skittles from me, and he left them for me. He took the time to take them with him and–

Fucking hell.

I need to stay away from him. I don't want him talking to me, or looking at me. Because I know that the tiny feelings I have for him, will light up into a blazing fire and I know I won't be able to control it.

Dad walks into the kitchen as well and ruffles up my hair when he sees me, before kissing my forehead.

"Morning, kiddo," he says before greeting my mom and saying a quiet hello to Stella.

"Good morning, dad," I smile before raking a hand through my curls. My hair falls messily over my back.

That's a good way to describe it. Messy.

There are curls everywhere, defined and alive. I've always liked the soft feeling of them, and the few times I straightened out my hair, I didn't feel like myself anymore.

"What are your plans for today?" dad asks, and takes a seat beside me, with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Being lazy around the house. The past few weeks were way too stressful because of my exams so now I can finally relax," I sigh.

"Okay, I see," he smiles. "How about we have lunch together today? Just the two of us?" he asks.

My eyes light up at those words. I nod frantically. "I'd love that," I grin.

The atmosphere changes when Nicholas enters the room, his presence demanding attention.

He's wearing a pair of jeans with a white shirt, gone is the business that I saw yesterday.

I let my eyes fleet over to him but quickly avert them.

Excusing myself, I stand up from the table and put my plate in the sink, hearing Nicholas introduce himself formally to both my parents, thanking them and saying it's a pleasure to meet them.