L

F A L L O N

"We haven't spoke since you went away. Comfortable silence is so overrated. Why won't you ever say what you wanna say? Even my phone, misses your call, by the way."

. . .

The next morning, I leave in the middle of the night. I'm extremely tired on the way to the airport, and can't wait to arrive in New York and get to the apartment.

After the check-in at the airport, dad and I need to say goodbye at the customs. I stand on my tiptoes and wrap my arms around his neck.

"I'll miss you," I whisper, and bury my face into his neck. His arms come around me, hugging me closer to him. "I'll miss you, too," he whispers.

Tears are stinging my eyes when I let go of him, and dad smiles softly when he sees my expression. "Go on, little one," he whispers.

I nod, my throat hurting because of all the tears I'm holding back. "I'll miss you," I bring out and bite my lip to stop it from trembling.

"I'll miss you, too," he replies and gives my hand a little squeeze. "Now, I'll see you soon enough," he promises.

Exhaling, I nod and blow him a kiss when I've started walking away. Sometimes, I don't know why I chose to move so far away for college.

But I know that as soon as I'm in New York and adjusted to everything again, I'll be fine. But the saying goodbye part has always been hard for me.

With my bag slung over my shoulders, I turn around and walk away from dad, resisting the urge to look back.

The flight was long, but I tried sleeping through most of it. I watched a movie and passed the time reading some more.

I was happy when the plane landed since I couldn't wait to get home. I quickly picked up my luggage, and when I arrived at the pick-ups, I saw a man standing there holding a sign with my last name on it.

I know dad sent someone for me, to take me home. I approach him and send him a timid smile when his eyes meet mine. "Fallon Lopez?" he asks, and I nod.

He takes my suitcases and motions for me to follow him. There's a black, sleek car waiting for us outside and once I'm seated in the backseat, I take my phone and send a message to dad.

He asked me to let him know when I landed safely. I do the same with Donia, and she texts me back saying she's already missing me.

I don't register all that's going around me. I just know that I'm thanking the man for carrying my suitcases once I'm in the middle of the apartment, feeling just as empty as the apartment itself.

Even though the spacious apartment and that there's everything I need and even more, it doesn't feel like home.

Taking my suitcases to my bedroom, I distract myself by getting everything out and putting it in its place.