LVII

F A L L O N

"We made a start. Be it a false one, I know. But baby I don't want to feel alone. So kiss me where I lay down, my hands pressed to your cheeks."

. . .

"I don't get it, though," Nicholas frowns as he shoves another handful of popcorn into his mouth. "He's become a star in the sky, so why are you crying?"

"Because he's with Evangeline!" I exclaim and feel the tears continuing to stream over my face.

"You're crying over a firefly, Fallon," he deadpans.

"His name is Raymond, but everyone calls him Ray," I frown and take another handful of popcorn. "And now he's dead and with his love up in the sky."

I asked Nicholas if he wanted to watch a movie with me, and I convinced him to watch The Princess and the Frog with me.

"Yes, Tiana and Naveen can just look up at the sky to see their friend, so they're not alone. Why are you crying?"

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head and take another sip of my soda. "You're not sentimental at all."

He shrugs and drinks from his water. "Elena made me watch all kinds of sappy romances back when we were teenagers, kinda grown used to it."

"What a shame you'll never be able to feel the same emotions we normal humans do," I tell him bitterly.

"I'm just not as sensitive," he laughs, and the sound of that makes a smile tug at the corner of my lips as well.

"Whatever," I retort, "another movie?"

"What are we watching now? Cinderella?"

I don't miss his sarcastic tone, and flip him off, taking the remote. I go through the movies.

"I mean... there's a live-action Cinderella movie that's good..."

"Not a chance."

Huffing, I keep going through the movies. Nicholas keeps his eyes on my face and notices my droopy eyes.

"You're tired," he comments. I stubbornly shake my head. "I'm perfectly fine," I reply, but a yawn manages to escape anyway.

Nicholas cooked for me tonight. Made me a simple pasta which was quite delicious. And then we settled for a movie and took our seats on the couch.

We've been in an awkward position of not sitting near one another. We're sharing a couch but at a safe distance.

I don't know what could happen once I snuggle into him and let him wrap his arms around me.

But I don't find myself caring, right now.

"I have a TV in my bedroom upstairs," I say and meet his eyes. "If you want... you can stay the night?" I suggest.

I hold my breath, waiting for his response.

Sitting up, he keeps his eyes locked on mine. "Are you sure?" he asks.

I nod. "I wouldn't be asking otherwise."

"I'd love to stay the night," he states, making me smile. "Perfect," I whisper and turn off the TV, getting up from the couch and folding up the blankets.

"I'll take the popcorn," he says and I nod. "I'll take the drinks," I reply.

Nicholas walks behind me, following me upstairs and to my room. I bite my lip to stop myself from smiling so much and push the door of my room open with my hip.