XLVI

F A L L O N

"I don't wanna be rude, but on the defensive; I've been going through it, too. And I know you feel used, I know you've been hurt. Anything I did, to make you feel worse, I'd take it all back if I could."

. . .

I wake up to soft caresses on my cheek. Fluttering my eyes open, I see that Nicholas is sitting on the edge of his bed.

A bed where I slept peacefully in. I never drifted off this fast, and the sheets surrounding me felt like clouds.

Glancing outside, I see that the sun has slowly started to set, casting an orange glow in his room.

"Hey," I murmur when our eyes lock. He sends me a little smile and runs his thumb over my cheek.

"How did you sleep?" he asks. His hair is wet, and he's wearing a white shirt and some sweatpants.

"Wonderfully," I answer honestly and sit up, rubbing my eyes. "What time is it?"

"Around 8 in the evening," he says after flicking his wrist to look at the time. "I need to get going then," I murmur.

I want to add that my parents probably must be wondering where I am, but then I realize that maybe they don't care.

My mother doesn't, at least.

A pang goes through my chest at the thought of my dad. I don't know what he thinks of all of this, and I'm scared to find out.

Nicholas must see the distressed look on my face because he leans in to plant a soft kiss on my forehead.

"What have you been doing all day?" I ask once he leans back. I throw my legs over the edge of the bed and stretch myself out a bit.

"I've been working. Someone fucked up really bad and I had to take care of it all," he sighs, clearly frustrated.

With a frown, I edge closer to him, wanting to comfort him. I see how much this is having an effect on him.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask. I want to wrap my arms around him and tell him it's all going to be okay.

To offer comfort and be there for him.

But he stands up from the bed and rakes a hand through his hair, exhaling loudly.

"Yeah, I am. I'm just tired," he responds. Biting my lip, I stand up and nod. "O-okay," I bring out.

"We'll talk tomorrow when I've got less to worry about."

And now I've got to go home. A place where I feel like I no longer belong. And feel left out. I'd rather stay here, but I don't want to force Nicholas into accepting me here.

"Yeah, sure," I say with a forced smile and turn around. I didn't expect Nicholas to follow me downstairs, but I'm surprised when he does.

At the front door, he takes me in his arms and rests his chin on top of my head.

"You're strong, Fallon," he whispers. "Would you want to stay the night, instead? I know back at your house it's not a good place for you to be."

His offer takes away a bit of the discomfort I'm feeling, and I loosen up a bit in his hold. But he's been so closed off, and I don't want to be a bother for him.

When I lean back, I shake my head and send him a closed-lipped smile. "No, it's fine," I whisper.

Not feeling any better than when I came here, I get in my car and drive back home.