XI

F A L L O N

"If someone tells me one more time 'Enjoy your youth,' I'm gonna cry. And I don't stick up for myself. I'm so anxious and nothing can help."

. . .

That same weekend, I manage to get mom and dad out of the house, the both of them going out on a trip together.

Stella has nights-shift, so she won't be coming home until early in the morning. And I don't plan on partying until five am.

I don't plan on throwing a big party in the first place. Just the people I interacted a lot with in high school and then some other friends.

It's going to be pretty full tonight but not a full-on party. I have loaded the car with snacks and drinks, only allowing a few bottles of alcohol since I don't want anyone to leave the house while wasted.

I don't want any accidents to happen and they can even stay in one of the guest rooms if necessary.

And now I'm on my way to the library, to inform Nicholas about what's going to happen. Ever since we hugged, we haven't talked.

All I can think about is how good his arms felt around me, and his faint cologne that smelled way too good.

It's fresh and subtle, not too much of it. With the right amount of musk and...

Focus, Fallon.

Arriving at the door, I take a deep breath and raise my hand, knocking softly. It's funny that even though it's my house, I have to ask permission to enter this room.

Nicholas' voice tells me to come in, and I softly open the door.

He's seated behind the table, two laptops placed in front of him, papers and pens scattered all around him.

The light is falling through one of the giant windows, casting light into the room. "Hey, I hope I'm not interrupting anything," I say, leaning against the doorway.

He shakes his head, pushing himself out of the chair and walking around the table, leaning against it and crossing his arms.

"You're not," he assures, meeting my eyes. I nod. "Good, well... I came here to inform you about the party this evening?"

I hate the fact that it comes out like a question.

He frowns. "What party?"

My shoulders sag, and an exasperated sigh leaves me. "Stella told me that she'd tell you."

"She didn't mention anything."

I lick my lips and let my weight fall against the doorframe. "I'm sorry, I thought she'd tell you, that's why I didn't mention anything," I say, disappointed.

I understand that Stella is busy and has a lot on her mind, but it's just frustrating. She could have at least thought about it and send Nicholas a text.

"I see, so there's a party?" Nicholas asks. I nod.

"Yes. I just wanted to let you know. We're going to be mainly around the living room, kitchen, and pool. To make sure you avoid those places. Or you can come by, but I'm sure you're not too fond of partying teenagers. Not that they would mind your presence but..."

I stop talking when he raises a brow at what I've just said, and I flush.

"W-what I meant is that you're not bad looking and they wouldn't mind taking a look but you're engaged and..."

I stop myself, taking a deep breath and looking back into his eyes. "Just so you know," I smile tightly.

The hint of an amused smile tugs at his lips, and he nods. "Noted," he responds.