LI

N I C H O L A S

"Sorry that I broke your heart. Your heart. And I said baby, I'll treat you better than I did before. I'll hold you down and not let you go. This time I won't break your heart."

. . .

A few days have passed since the last time I spoke to Fallon, and it's driving me crazy. I need to talk to her.

Because I don't know what I'll do if I don't. I need her to know how I feel.

So that's why I drove over to her house today. I'll make her listen.

Getting out of my car, I walk up towards her front door and ring the bell. The door is opened by Fallon's dad, William.

His eyes narrow when he sees me. "What are you doing here?" he asks, his voice turning hostile.

Ignoring his tone, I say, "I came here to see Fallon."

He'll get over it someday because he's not going to stop me from seeing Fallon.

"She's not here," he says, clenching his jaw together. "Then, where is she?" I frown.

At this, he sends me a smile.

"Far away from you."

Before I can ask what he means by that, he takes a step forward and punches me. I can tell he's holding back, but the blow makes me take a step backward.

It didn't land as hard, but William quickly grabs me by the collar of my shirt. "Now, get out of here before I decide to give you more. I can't stand to look at you, knowing what you did to my daughter."

"I'll get her back," I tell him with all my confidence, "whether you like it or not. It's that excuse of a wife you have, that you should look out for."

With that, I turn around and get back in my car. Fallon deserves better than that.

The drive to my house is quick, and when I arrive there, I see Stella waiting outside my front door. I texted her earlier this day because I found some of her belongings when I was cleaning out everything.

"Didn't expect you to be here this early," I tell her when walking up to my front door. She shrugs. "Yeah, I wanted to get this over with."

So do I.

Leading her inside my house, I take her to the living room where I placed all her things on the table.

She goes through them, her fingers touching everything. I see a frown marring her face, and the sadness is clear on the features.

She used to come here often before I had to move out for a short amount of time.

"I'm sorry for the way I reacted," she says softly and tucks a strand of blonde hair behind her ear.

"You have every right to be mad," I assure her and lean against the wall, keeping my eyes focused on her.

She nods and sends me a weak smile. "Yeah, I know. But I was irrational sometimes and thought about what you said."

"And?"

"I should've given you as much of a hard time as Fallon," she answers, which makes me chuckle.

"It's just that... the betrayal felt so much bigger since she was my best friend," she continues and shakes her head.

"I don't know what I expected from this whole situation," she adds.

It gets quiet between us, mainly because I don't know how to react to this type of situation. We avert our eyes from each other, the conversation having ceased down.