VI

F A L L O N

"But how could I hate her? She's such an angel. But then again kinda wish she were dead as she walks by, what a sight for sore eyes."

. . .

When mom suggested going on a picnic this morning, I was hesitant. It's one of the days where Stella doesn't need to work, and Nicholas is going to join us.

And due to it being a Sunday, both mom and dad don't work. They take their days off seriously and like to spend them together.

So, my mother suggested to all go out on a picnic this morning. In our garden.

Our garden is my mother's pride, and when she isn't working in her jewelry shop, she's in our garden or either cooking.

We have a large garden, with hills and trees, roses and even a little lake. Mom invested a lot in it, and she likes to show it off.

At first, I didn't want to join them but realized that I could feign some nausea and head back inside if I grew tired.

I take a cute top that fits snugly around my breasts and hugs my midriff. The red fabric complements my skin.

And then I take some high-waisted shorts that show off my long legs, sunglasses, and a book.

Mom is preparing the basket downstairs, filling it with food.

I start helping her, putting everything away and grabbing the cool box stuffing it with water and juice. Mom even put some champagne ready to be taken with us.

Shaking my head, I put it away before taking a few blankets and telling mom that I'm going to set it ready.

The sun is glaring down at me when I step outside, the heat prickling my skin. I start my way through the garden, feeling the petals of the roses brush against my legs as I walk.

I reach the hill and go up to the top, relaxing when I'm in the shadow of the tree. Setting the basket down, I fold the blanket open and put it in the shadow, lying the second one out next to it.

Just as I'm about to set everything up, I hear a voice coming from behind me.

"Fallon! Why would you put the blankets in the shadow? You should enjoy the fact that the sun is out. Don't be such a dark person," Stella pouts and marches up to me, grabbing one of the blankets and pulling at it until it's a bit more in the sun.

"I mean, I wanted some shadow so we wouldn't get burned," I try to reason, and take the other blanket, putting it in the sun but making sure that another part of it is still in the shadow.

I'm not going to get burned today.

"That's why you put on sunscreen, dummie," she chuckles.

"Tanning is bad for your skin and makes it wrinkle," I retort childishly.

"Let me enjoy my youth."

I clench my jaw together and prevent myself from saying that she's only four years away from being thirty.

But I'm not that petty.

I avert my gaze when I see my mom approaching us, along with my dad.

Stella and I are setting things up together, and the food looks delicious.

I'm somewhat hidden in the shadow, and dad comes to sit next to me. Mom sits opposite dad with Stella next to her.

I wonder where Nicholas is, I thought he'd join us. But he's nowhere in sight. I refrain from asking about him.

I could come up with good excuses to ask after him, but I don't want to draw attention to myself.