XLI

F A L L O N

"You're trying to fill the void with a couple of boys, I can see right through it. I can love you harder than I did before."

. . .

Three days later, I wake up on my birthday.

Despite everything, a little smile comes on my face.

Mom and dad burst into my room at midnight, singing me happy birthday and my sleepy state was so confused the whole time.

I never liked staying awake until the next day, because it takes away the excitement. So that's why I was dead-asleep when they came into my room.

Dad kissed me on the forehead and told me he can't believe how grown-up I've become. Mom had tears in her eyes and told me that she's proud of me.

And that I'm her beautiful baby.

Sitting up, I stretch out my body and let out a yawn, not feeling any different than I did yesterday.

I get up from bed and go into the bathroom, brushing my teeth and pulling my hair up in a bun. I tie my robe tighter around myself and decide to go downstairs.

But as I open my bedroom door, there's something lying in front of it.

A box, that's closed with a bow around it. With a frown, I pick it up and carry it into my room, sitting down on my bed and untying the bow.

My dad isn't one to hand me gifts like this. Neither is mom.

Lifting the lid, my eyes fall on a painting by numbers. A recreation of Michelangelo's 'Creation of Adam'.

It's been one of my favorite paintings of all time, one I adore and went to visit with dad as a teenager.

I lost my mind when I saw it on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Taking the scroll of paper into my hands, I see another thing lying in the box.

The Odyssey.

Lifting the old book into my hands, I open it and my eyes budge out of their sockets when I see that it's a first edition.

This must've cost a fortune.

What the fuck?

But it's in my possession. I've never felt this honored before, this ecstatic to hold something so precious in my hands.

And I will forever treasure it.

There's one more thing left, a little box with the word Cartier written on top of it.

Lifting it, I open the box and see a necklace lying inside of it.

It's silver, with an orchid as a pendant, decorated with little diamonds.

My heart clenches itself together, and I let out a sigh as I eye all this. This is too much.

And I know who gifted me this.

There's a note lying at the bottom of the box, and I pick it up.

Enjoy your birthday, Angel.

Hope you liked the gifts, you deserve so much more.

N.A.

Why does he buy me all of these things and expect me not to fall for him?

I let all the gifts in my room and go downstairs, where mom and dad are in the living room.

Dad engulfs me in his arms, holding me for what feels like forever before he lets go of me and wishes me a happy birthday once again.