XIV

F A L L O N

"But now she's there, you're there and everybody's there. He's in turmoil, as puzzled as can be. Just like me. Let's go down, down, low down where I know I should not go."

. . .

When Stella walks into my room the next morning, I wonder if everyone just takes it upon themselves to walk in while I'm asleep.

"Hey Fallon," she whispers and carefully takes a seat beside me, running her fingers through my hair gently.

I hum in response, not capable of bringing anything out at the moment. I don't even want to know what time it is.

But I sure as hell know that it's fucking early since Stella gets up in the middle of the night to go to work.

Emergencies or clients that need help immediately. She doesn't mind taking the nightshifts she once said.

But that doesn't mean she can bother me with it.

"Nicholas has some free time tonight, and he's coming to pick me up at work. I was wondering if you'd like to join us? You two could get to know each other better," she suggests.

I make an approving sound, agreeing with anything she'd say right now since all I want to do is just sleep.

"Perfect. I need to head out of town since they need me at another hospital, so it's going to take a while to drive over there. You both will pick me up and after we'll go out to dinner, okay?"

Letting out another sound, she chuckles and gets up from bed, walking out and closing the door behind her.

When I wake up in the morning, I'm not sure whether the encounter with Stella was a dream or not

If it wasn't, that means that I have to be in a car with Nicholas for quite a while. And I have no fucking clue how that's going to work out.

Getting out of bed, I take some jogging shorts and a cropped shirt, not feeling like dressing up to walk around my house.

I'm surprised to find my dad in the kitchen when I go downstairs. He's usually gone by the time I wake up. Except on weekend.

"Hey," I greet him, surprise evident in my voice. He looks up from his phone, sending me a smile.

"Good morning, kiddo," he smiles, opening his arms as I walk into them.

"How did you sleep?" he asks, pressing a kiss on my head. "Good, you?" I ask.

"Good," he answers. "Why are you still home?" I ask when I step back.

"Can't a man just live in his house?" he asks and quirks an eyebrow. I grin. "I guess so," I drawl out.

"I decided to go in the afternoon. Thomas is going to tour a bunch of interns around the company, and wanted to give him all the space and control to do so," he shrugs.