XVII

F A L L O N

"Dime si me echas de meno' aún. Dime si no me perdonas aún. ¿Qué harás con to' este veneno? Na' bueno."

. . .

I haven't seen Nicholas ever since the dinner with his parents. It's now two days later, and I'm a bit surprised when I find him in the main study room, going through some books.

He's usually locked up in the library, so it's weird to see him anywhere else in my house.

"Sorry, didn't know you were in here," I say, making him look up. But I don't leave the room. Fuck no. This is my house.

"That's okay," he says softly and puts the book down. I walk in, placing my laptop on the desk along with my cup filled with iced lemonade and a bag of chips.

I wanted a change of scenery and decided to binge some shows in here instead of my room. I used to sit here as a kid all the time and wanted to relive that feeling a bit.

"Uhm, I hope I didn't feel like an intruder when I had lunch with you and your parents," I say and turn to look at him. "I really enjoyed it, though."

He cracks a smile. "They did, too. And I didn't mind, it was nice."

Those words shouldn't have felt so assuring and nice. Knowing I was welcomed by him. I should care if I was welcomed by his parents. Not care about his opinion.

We lock eyes, and I suddenly don't know what to say. There isn't much to say, really. My heart skips a beat when he puts the book back in its place and takes a step towards me.

"Look, Fallon..." he begins and rakes a hand through his hair. "I wanted to say sorry for what happened between us."

"You already did," I bring out, feeling hurt course through me. Yeah, he's sorry. Sorry for the mistake he committed.

I'm the mistake. A mistake.

"Yeah, but I wanted to explain myself. I'm sorry for the position I put you in, it was selfish of me to do what I did, without thinking about the consequences," he says.

I don't know what to think about what he just said. It makes sense but then it doesn't. Or I'm just dumb.

"I... I see," I say instead, wringing my hands together. "It's okay. We uh... we don't need to talk about it again," I add.

He licks his lips. "Yeah, I know," he replies and looks back into my eyes. His lashes are so long, fuck.

"Okay, good. Because what we did was actually really wrong, and we could really hurt Stella with this. If you want to tell her, that is. I'm not going to if you're scared about that. Though it's my place to do so since she's my best friend but I haven't been a good friend lately and..."

"Stop," he orders and I do so. He takes a step toward me, and I take one back. Only to find out that the wall is behind me.

He takes another two strides and stops only a few inches away. "Look at me," he demands, and I lift my head, meeting his eyes.

We look at each other, the air around us becoming thick with tension.

Exhaling, he drops his head and runs his nose across my cheek.

"Your obedience..." he whispers. "You'd take everything so beautifully."

Goosebumps erupt on my skin. Fuck, if he were to ask me to drop on my knees right now, I'd do so without him having to finish the sentence.

I feel the heat coursing through me, and feel myself getting turned on. I'm sure there's a wet spot on my panties.

Groaning, he pushes himself away from me and shakes his head. "I'll see you some other time," he says, sounding tired and drained.