Veteran x Captain: The rejects

~

A/n: Q: What's the best way to defeat your enemy?

~

Rain drops tatted Captain's window. It was two years since he was laid off. Ever since crewmembers on other teams went missing, crewmembers on Mira called the whole operation off.

Ever since, Captain hasn't seen any of his friends. Or Player.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention. Ten days before they were laid off, Player had gone astray.

He kept losing, again and again. It drove him crazy. It drove him insane.

After over a year of failure, he had it.

Player lashed out on all of his friends, especially Veteran. Veteran had tried to reason with him, but Player would not listen. Captain also tried to interject, but ended up getting brutally rejected.

"I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU ALL!"

Ever since that occurrence, Captain never spoke to Player again.

~

"Next!" Veteran calls out, waiting for the next customer to checkout. He worked as a cashier at a local grocery store, barely earning minimum wage. Ever since he was laid off as a crewmember of the Skeld, he had nothing else in life to look forward to. So, as a time filler, he worked ten hours a day, seven days a week.

The clock had just struck ten, meaning work was finally over. He sighed in relief and grabbed his stuff,  walking home tiredly. His cyan-colored orbs glimmered a bit.

He missed all of his friends. But, ever since he lost his best friend, Player, he was depressed and insecure. He barely talked to anyone nor tried to make friends. Instead, he just simply ignored others.

~

Veteran was getting ready for bed when he heard his phone vibrate. Tiredly, he walks over to his nightstand and checks his notifications. His heart nearly skipped a beat when he realized it was his friends.

"Hey, dude! Long time no chat! I made this group chat so we can all talk to each other, it's been so long!" Stoner exclaims. The others agreed, while Veteran, on the other hand, kept silent. He wanted to talk to his friends, but... The sadness and guilt that Player put him through left a scar on his heart.

As if Stoner had read his mind, he wrote, "Don't worry, dudes, Player isn't in this chat. The way he left us was so unchill."

The others nod in agreement.

"Hey, everyone! I'm gonna host a meet-and-greet at my house this Saturday, so we can all see each other again! How does that sound?" Gnome asks. The others all reply with some form of 'yes'. The only people that didn't reply yet were Captain and Veteran.

Veteran hesitates a bit with his response, but sighs when he realizes that Player wasn't invited. So, using all of the confidence he had left, he replied with, "Yeah, I'll be there."

~

Saturday came around the corner quite quickly. Veteran had just finished his shift, and was headed over to Gnome's house. He was anxious the whole way, worried that his friends would judge him by the way he looked.

No one knew what anyone looked like. It was against the policy when aboard the Skeld. But, now that they were laid off, they could finally reveal themselves to their friends.

Captain took a deep breath and knocked on Gnome's door, twiddling his thumbs nervously. He was extremely self conscious about the way he looked.

Gnome opens the door, gasping when she realizes Captain's tall figure. "Captain, you look amazing!"

"Oh, why thank you, Gnome!" Captain exclaims, his worries completely vanished. He enters Gnome's cozy house, taking a seat on the couch. Stoner, Engineer, MrCheese, and TheGentleman had already arrived, chatting amongst themselves.

"Captain, you look rather dashing!" TheGentleman exclaims. Captain blushes at all of the compliments.

That's when he heard Veteran's deep voice behind him.

Startled, he yelps and throws a pillow at him. The pillow hits Veteran square in the face.

MrCheese nearly chokes on his hot chocolate.

Captain then realizes his mistake, turning a dark shade of crimson in realization.

"I-I'm so sorry!" He exclaims, "Y-You just startled me..."

"Nice shot," Veteran says with a wink, "You managed to hit me square in the face. Quite the shot if you ask me."

Captain's blush deepens. "S-Shut up!"

Gentleman lets out a chuckle and says, "You both are just as I remember."

~

A few hours went by. Captain decided to go outside for some fresh air.

He breathed in the crisp, cool wind with a sigh. A few flashbacks of Player replayed again and again in his mind. It brought him to tears.

Captain didn't realize it, but he managed to stay outside for over an hour. Veteran noticed how long Captain was gone, and decided to look for him.

He spotted Captain on the porch, weeping softly into his hands. He quietly sits next to the human-sized marshmallow and pats his back.

"Captain, what's wrong?" He asks softly, patting the taller's back. Captain took a few deep breaths and explained everything.

Veteran sighs. "Look, Captain... I'm hurt too. I really cared about Player, but... Turns out he was a huge jerk."

The two of them coexist quietly. Captain sighs and whispers, "H-He hated me, after all I did for him... W-Why..."

Veteran embraces the marshmallow in a hug. "He doesn't deserve you, Captain..."

The two of them stare into each other's eyes for a long while, savoring the other's orbs. Captain blushes a bit and looks away.

Veteran felt the urge to kiss the marshmallow, so, without further hesitation, he wrapped his arms around the back of Captain's neck and pulled him into a sweet kiss. He expected Captain to pull away, but...

Captain pulled him closer to his chest, kissing Veteran deeper. The two of them share this sweet kiss for a few more moments before pulling away, panting.

"He's a jerk, Captain... I promise, I'd never hurt you like that..."

Captain blushes, staring a bit into Veteran's eyes before whispering, "I know... Who needs him when I have you?"

"I love you, Captain."

"I love you too, Veteran."

~

A/n: A: Make them your friend.

Sorry for this extremely lazy chapter, I'm so tired right now. I literally wrote this for you guys because I haven't updated in a week. Anyway, see you guys later! Byeee!

~Flare