Chapter 18

Michael drove into his driveway folled by the Alfinos' car. All he could do was hope that Rose had taken care of everything the way he had instructed. He was going to figure out what to tell Maurisio and his wife pertaining Marisa. Michael led the elderly couple into his mansion.
"What a lovely house you have Mr Howard" Salma Alfino said as she followed Michael to the lounge.
"Thank you Mrs Alfino, I grew up here" he told her. They went in the lounge and they took their seats. Michael wanted them to relax so they wouldn't make the dinner as serious as they were making it seem. He was now praying that Rose had taken care of everything and that the chefs she had hired had done a great job.
"I am fond of art. Those are very beautiful paintings" Maurisio said standing up to examine one fine Goya one the wall.
"Make yourselves comfortable. Wine?"
"Yes, sure" they answered. Michael knew that it was inevitable that they were going to ask about Marisa. He was just trying to delay them. The issue was stressing him out but he knew he was going to pull it off, he didn't need anyone.
" I'll fix you two glasses of the best wine in.my possession" he said.
" I don't see Mrs Howard, is she around?" Maurisio's question brought Michael to a halt. Should he tell them that she had gone to visit her aunt in Mexico or that she had a bad flue and couldn't get out of bed or....
"Oh I'm here! Good evening, my sincere apologies I was in the shower" Marisa said as she came down the stairs. She walked to the lounge and kissed Michael on the cheek,"Good evening, honey". Michael almost fainted. He couldn't believe it, he was flabbergasted. What was going on? Where had she came from? He looked at her, her hair was still wet and she was in a long velvet dress.
"Mrs Howard, how have you been? It's pleasant to see you again" Salma said. She gave Marisa a hug and a peck on the cheek. Marisa did the same with Maurisio.
"I will help Michael with the glasses", Marisa said collecting the wine glasses. Michael went to collect the wine like a zombie. They poured the wine into the glasses.
"Good wine" Salma said with a smile.
"Best we've ever tasted, Mr Howard" Mauriso backed his wife. Michael was struggling to focus. He watched Marisa sip her wine. How was it possible that she was here?
"Let's get down to dinner" Marisa suggested. She walked the Afinos to the dinning room and went to the kitchen.
"I will go and help her out" Michael said leaving for the kitchen.
The Alfinos relaxed in their chairs as they looked around the decorated dinning room.
Michael found Marisa taking the taco lasagna from the oven. He leaned on the counter.
"Muniz, what are you doing here?" He started. Michael watched her take the plates and she handed them to him.
"Take them to the dinning for me" she said ignoring him. Marisa took a bowl and poured some soup. Michael disappeared with the plates and came back.
"Marisa..."
"Don't you need help?" She asked as she continued serving.
"I didn't..."
"So your PA had it under control, right? She and her friends had everything under control and they made this amazing dinner not forgetting hosting your guests who expected to see your 'wife'. You're welcome" Marisa said taking the Taco lasagna to the dinning. She came back and did the same with the folks, knives and spoons.
"What do you want, then?" Michael asked her.
"I want nothing from you. I came here to help you and that is all, some of us were actually raised right" Marisa knew the last part was supposed to remain in her head.
"I didn't need your help. Whoever did you the favor of raising you right should have told you to respect other people's privacy" Michael told Marisa. He had been clearly offended by her statement but the truth was that he actually needed her help and he was not telling her that.
"Ned told me you were in trouble and it looks like it. Are you two even friends anymore?" Marisa ignored what he had said. She produced some sweet smelling garlic bread from the oven and took it to the dinning. She didn't want to be alone for a long time with Michael.
"Thank you for coming but I could have figured something out" Michael said when Marisa returned to the kitchen.
" I will never be like you. Pompous, arrogant and ungrateful. I came here to help you and it has come with a sacrifice. I'll be gone as soon as this is over" Marisa said. She had actually stood Ned up for this. She felt dizzy and leaned on the counter. Michael ignored it.
"Nobody wants to be me but me" he replied her. Michael watched her struggling to maintain her balance. He caught her before she hit the floor.
"I'm fine" she was still conscious.
"You don't look fine to me, you almost fainted" Michael said to her. She tried to get to her feet and he helped her to the stool.
"We have been in here too long, they're waiting" Marisa said. She wanted to shift the attention from herself. She was worrying she could be really unwell.
"Stay here and have some water" Michael said concealing his concern. He went to the dinning room. Marisa did not get the glass of water instead she went and brushed her hair and pit on some light make up. She went and joined Michael and the Alfinos on the dinner table.
" Mexican food is my wife's favorite, Mrs Howard. This is delicious" Mauricio said digging into his taco lasagna.
"Thank you Mr Alfino. We like Italian food as well" Marisa said and Michael confirmed with a smile. He did love Italian food.
They ate in silence. Marisa cleared the dinner table and took her seat across Michael.
   "I think we should get down to business now" Mauricio said emptying his glass of wine.
" Sure Mr Alfino" Michael said producing a file from the empty seat.
   " I have decided to do business with you Howard but I need this project to start as soon as possible. I brought the plan with me" Mauricio told Michael.
"I also want it to start as soon as possible" Michael was feeling proud of himself.
Mauricio produced a large folded paper and unfolded it on the table. They all gathered around it.
  " This is the hotel plan, Howard. I'm sure you had studied the same one I had given to your father. Nothing changed the plan is still the same" Mauricio told Michael.
" I don't think I want to suggest any changes. Everything is perfect" Michael said. Mauricio started explaining more as he pointed at the paper. Michael stopped listening, he had memorized the whole plan and went through the ideas to enhance the project. He had spent all the years Mauricio was denying him of the chance doing that. Michael looked at Marisa. She was looking at the plan with pure fascination. She looked happy and he knew it wasn't for herself, she was happy for him. She knew she was not getting anything out of this but she was still happy.  Michael watched her wince as if in pain and he took his eyes off her. He tried to focus on Mauricio.
  ".....what do you say Mr Howard? You can manage that right?" Michael had Mauricio say.
"Sounds reasonable" Michael said. He did not know what Mauricio had suggested. Marisa's expression was disapproving.
   "So I would ike to believe we are all set. Salma and I will have our ranch fixed for you. I can assure you it'll be ready when you come" Mauricio said.
"We can go over the events again just to be sure" Michael realised he had missed some crucial details.
  " Okay sure. We think you need to be in Italy in two weeks time since we need to hasten the project. We will prepare our ranch for you and Mrs. Howard to stay" Mauricio told Michael.
"Sure, we can manage that. Right dear? Michael looked at Marisa. He was not going to let anything ruining this for him.
  "Uh yes, sure"  Marisa forced the words out.
"I cannot wait to for you to see my jewellery shop Mrs Howard" Salma said excitedly.
  " I cannot wait as well" Marisa said.
" We leave for Italy on Monday. I have to say that I believe we are going to accomplish great things, Howard" Mauricio said folding the plan.
  " I believe we are" Michael replied with pride.
"We can toast. Shall we?"  Mauricio proposed.
  The Alfinos soon after. Marisa and Michael stood outside and waved as the drove off. Another car pulled in the driveway.
  "Oh no" Marisa said.
"What?" Michael asked her but she had already disappeared in the mansion. He followed her. Why had she ran off like that?

Why had she ran off like that?

19 coming soon