Chapter 42

Michael kissed her and she did not protest. She was as in as he was but her mind was racing. Another one bites the dust. she was biting the dust right now. What was he sorry for exactly? Marisa tried to concentrate on the battle that was happening her mind as Michael's hand worked their way slowly down her back. He was slowly killing her in every way. She hated herself for letting him win but she could not help it. She was helplessly in love with him. He had not even address the ballroom issue and there she was losing herself in his arms. 

    "This is not an apology", Marisa found out she had said that out loud. Michael stopped and looked at her.

''What?"

   "All of this is not an apology", Marisa said firmly moving away from him.
"I said I am sorry", Michael said running his hand in his hair with frustration.

    "Do not use that tone with me!" Marisa said her voice much higher.

"I apologized, Marisa", He complained.

    "For what exactly? You left me alone at that damn table for an hour playing some dumb wife. I do not even know where you disappeared to", Marisa said.

"I did not realize I was gone for that long", Michael immediately realized he was not supposed to say that.
   "You should have not have even gone anywhere!'' Marisa exclaimed.

"I had to take care of.."
     "You had sleep with her", Marisa hoped that she had not sounded jealous. 

"I had to talk to her", He corrected her.

   "At the expense of my dignity. You should have brought her to that stupid event instead. You come here one day acting like we are a team then the next day you stab me in the back. The other day you are all over me, kissing me and making love to me. I have actual damn feelings and I deserve respect. What do you really want from me?" Marisa finally asked him.

"I do not know", Michael said quietly. He saw Marisa nod slowly as if in realization. Michael knew he was a fool for saying what he had said. He may have probably lost anything they had going on. His terror of being vulnerable to yet another woman was just too much.

  "That was all you had to say before getting me high. You are just a selfish, ambitious and arrogant idiot", Marisa said her voice shaking of anger.  She waited for him to say something but he did not. Marisa knew the conversation was over. She slowly walked to bed and slid in. Michael took the duvet from the closet and walked to the couch. He knew that she would never let him touch her again after tonight.

Marisa spent the rest of the week making sure that she avoided conversations with Michael. She either nodded or shook her head. Luca would invite her to the stables to feed horses and she would go and spend the rest of the day feeding horses and watch him train them. Other days Marisa would help out in the kitchen and tell jokes with the maids. Deep down she could not wait to go back to L.A and leave Michael. Marisa was not too eager to go through her pregnancy on her own but she really wanted to stand up to Michael for once. Everyday just brushing past him through the bathroom door or seeing him after his shower was difficult for her to bear.

Michael could see that their days in Italy were numbered and they were left with three days only. He wished something could come up and postpone their return. Marisa was leaving upon their return and he had no right to stop her. Whatever moments they had shared here would stay here and Michael did not want that. He was going to have a child with her and that meant he wouldn't avoid her. His heart was telling him to confront his feelings for her but then his mind would tell him that it will make him weak. He came back from the office one afternoon and saw Marisa at the stables with Luca and he had felt jealous. Michael knew he was not going to let her out of arms reach.

Marisa was having trouble with her zipper and they were running late. She could asked Michael to do it because they had not been talking much for the past week. They had been invited to dinner at the Alfinos' since they were due to leave the following day. Marisa saw Michael skillfully tying his neck tie whilst she struggled with her zipper. Michael knew she was not going to ask him for help so he stood by when he had finished and stared at her bare back. 

"Let me do it", He offered walking to her. She moved away declining his offer. "Fine, help yourself", Michael said. She continued to struggle with the zipper whilst Michael leaned at the dresser folding his hands. He glanced at his wrist watch and walked back to her. She stood still and let him help. Michael moved away as soon as he was done. Marisa took her purse from the drawer and brushed past him walking out.

The drive to the Alfino residence was quiet. Michael took her hand when they walked in. 

"Marisa darling, you look lovely", Salma said hugging Marisa. 

   "Thank you, Salma. How have you been?" Marisa asked. She had activated her acting mode. 

"I have been well, dear. Come along", Salma said as they followed her to the dinning room. Mauricio was opening a bottle of wine when they walked in and took their seats. Marisa asked for a glass of water instead. They were talking as they ate and Marisa tried her best to keep calm when Michael's hand on hers.

After dinner they continued talking over cups of coffee. Marisa could not wait to get home and sleep. She was feeling drained and she needed this charade to be over already.

"I heard that Herbert was released from prison last week",  Mauricio said and waited for Michael to say something. Marisa saw him grow tense and she reached for his hand from under the table and gave him a gentle squeeze.

   "Ah, yes he was", Michael replied. He did not want to discuss his father at that table.

"So what happens to Howard Telecoms now? I mean with the man himself back I..."

  "Mr. Alfino I am sure that those issues will be resolved between my father and I", Michael said. 

"I want to know that what we have achieved here will not be put at jeopardy because of family drama", Mauricio said taking a gulp of wine.

   "Mauricio", Salma was ashamed Mauricio had said that.

"I understand that Mr. Alfino. I will deal with my father. I would also want to know that my funds are protected here as well", Michael said calmly.

    "They will be protected here Mr. Howard," Mauricio said feeling undermined. There was silence for a minute.

"Well, Mr. and Mrs. Alfino, I would like to thank you for hosting us this evening. We had a wonderful time. Thank you for having us at your beautiful ranch house", Marisa said breaking the silence.

    "You are welcome we were glad to have you too, dear. We will be delighted to have you again", Salma said with a smile. The all stood up and started walking out. Salma was saying her goodbyes to Marisa whilst Michael and Mauricio were talking. Marisa could tell that there was now tension between Michael and Mauricio but both men were trying to hide it from each other. She got into the car and waited for Michael.

Michael and Marisa drove in silence again back to the ranch house. Michael loosened his tie and sank in the couch. He was thinking about what Mauricio had said. Would his father try to get his company back from him? He could try but Michael knew he had established his own empire and Howard Telecomms would not hurt that much. His father had not reached out and he had been out for a week now. He guessed Hebert was trying to get away from the press.  Michael saw Marisa struggling with her zipper again and reluctantly stood up to help. He waited until she stopped trying then he undid her zipper. Michael walked away.

     "Muniz for Heaven's sakes your silence is killing me. Say something please", Michael said. Marisa's phone rang and she took it out of her purse and answered it.

"Hello?"

   "Hello sweetheart, this is your father in-law". Marisa looked at Michael her heart beating fast.