Chapter 44

Michael's head leaned on Marisa's bed while they talked. The Doctor had gone to collect a list of Marisa's prescribed diet.
    "Why do you grow you hair that long?" Michael asked Marisa.
"Well, my grandmother used to comb my hair ever since I was a child. She would tell me that it I looked good with my hair down," Marisa said. 

   "She was right, you look beautiful with your hair down", Michael told her. The door opened and a young male nurse got in, someone else was behind him.

"Mrs. Howard, you father in law is here to visit you", The Nurse said. Marisa looked up and saw a tall handsome man appearing in his sixties standing in front of them. He appeared to be an older version of Michael but his think hair was greying. Michael started to say something but Marisa squeezed his hand signaling him to stop. He obliged. 

    "Marisa Andrea Muniz Howard", Herbert's voice was just like his son's but more deeper. He spread his arms and beamed a smile. He walked to the bed and handed the flowers he held to Marisa. She was amazed that he knew her middle name. She then felt stupid when she realized that he would know obviously, she was all over the internet.
"Son!" Hebert exclaimed.
   "Who invited you here, Father?" Michael said standing up. He felt emotional by just looking at Herbert. It had been almost ten years. 

"Do I need an invite to come and see my son's wife in hospital? I am going to be a grandfather so I hear. Move over son, I have to meet my beautiful daughter in-law", Herbert said taking a seat beside Marisa's bed. The young nurse left the room.
   "How are you, Marisa? I am Herbert", He said stretching out his hand for a handshake. Marisa shook his hand.

"I am doing well and it is nice to meet you" Marisa said kindly. Michael was silently fuming. She could tell that there was tension between Michael and his father. 

  "Father, you need to leave", Michael managed to say.
"It has been ten years son, why would you throw me out? I thought you would be happy to see me", Hebert said shifting his attention to his son.

  "I am very pleased they finally let you out father now may you please let us be?"
        "Why, you are as stubborn as your grandfather!"

"At least we know where that came from", Michael exclaimed. He could see his father had aged since he last saw him but he still did not look as old as his actual age. 

     "You never replied any of my letters I wrote in prison, did you even read them?"

"I am a very busy man, father", Michael said.

    "I see what you have done to my empire and I have to say I am a proud father. All those thousands of dollars worth of education are paying off", Herbert said.
"Are you going to leave on your own or..."

    "I came here in peace, Mikey", Herbert said softly.

"Let him stay, Michael", Marisa said. Michael looked at her shockingly.

      "I do not want him here", Michael said. 

"Why not? I am not causing any trouble here. May I please stay?" Herbert said carefully.

   "No, Father you cannot stay here", Michael said harshly. 
"As you wish my boy", Hebert said. He abruptly left the room.

"Michael, what was that?" Marisa asked.

   "That was a family reunion", Michael replied,

Marisa settled in the wing opposite Michael's in the mansion. She knew she was stuck with Michael until the baby comes. She also knew that she did not have to keep on playing the wife part. It was getting out of hand since Herbert had came to believe that she was his daughter in-law. Marisa knew she had to let Michael know before he take it further than where it was now. 

Michael went to the office after dropping Marisa off at home. He called for an urgent meeting with his board members. Michael had decided to cut his office hours because he knew that Marisa would need someone to keep an eye on her. He would work from home until the baby comes. Office visits would be done when necessary. Rose was told to direct his calls to his home office. Michael returned home when he was satisfied everyone new what they were to do in his absence. He knew there had been murmuring about Herbert's return at the office but no Jack nor Jill had bothered to ask him about it. Michael also had decided that he was going to be around Marisa only when it was necessary.

Marisa was sitting in the backyard garden. She could feel it was getting chilly but she ignored it and kept swinging slowly on the swing that hung on a large oak tree. Marisa had actually never been there before so she was still fascinated with the garden. 

   "That is my mother's swing", Michael's voice startled her. She slowly stood up.

"I didn't know", Marisa said feeling awkward.

   "You can sit back on", He said to her. Michael put his jacket over her shoulders and stood next to her with his hands in his pockets. Marisa sat back on the swing. 

"How old is it? The swing?" Marisa asked him. She noticed that he was staring into at the peach tree that was a few yards from the oak tree.

   "My father made it for my mother when she was pregnant with me," Michael answered her. She looked up at him when he mentioned his father.
"So...you and Herbert", Marisa said.

"I do not want to talk about that", Michael said firmly. A tone Marisa knew was a no nonsense tone.
  "Michael you need to address this. Herbert is your father", Marisa tried again.

      "I will face him at my own time", He shot.

 "You do not realize that I am getting caught up in all of this. Your father believes I am your wife and I am not. We have to put an end to this", Marisa said to him.

      "What do you suggest then?"

"News have to go out that we are separating. That way we all become free to do whatever we please without having to worry about blowing our covers. The charade has to come to an end", Marisa said.

     "You want them to eat me alive and follow me everywhere?"

"Michael, this is not all about you. I am the 'opportunist' here, a gold digger who used a baby to trap you, and an immigrant who used you to get papers so you have nothing to worry about", Marisa said. Michael stared at her without saying anything for a while.

   "Muniz, that is not true and you know that", Michael told her.

" You think the same. I mean that is all you saw of me when I first met you so don't give me that", She said.

     "Anyone in my position would have thought the same", Michael said.

"And what is your position?"

   "I am rich Marisa and people like me find it difficult to come across someone who does not want anything from them", He replied her.

"Oh okay", She said in a low tone.

     "I hope you understand that", He said.
"You still have to make sure that this charade comes to an end. Your father has to know or I will tell him myself", Marisa said. 

"What do you mean you will tell him yourself?"

    "I mean if you cannot tell him I will", Marisa said. It was getting more chilly and dark now.

"I need time before..." Michael stopped and listened. "That sounds like the door bell", he said.

     "I heard that too", Marisa said. She stood up and they heard it again, the door bell really was ringing.

"Now who could that be?" Michael asked. They walked back inside Herbert was standing making his way up the stairs when he saw them.

    "Oh, I had let myself in. I had thought that nobody was home", He said with a smile.

"When no body answers the door bell you go away", Michael shouted.

 "Oh but why? This is homecoming my son, old Herb has come home".

     "What the actual fuck?" Michael asked turning to look at Marisa, she was as shocked as he was.