Chapter 15

Ned drove to Marisa's apartment after the argument with Michael. She opened the door for him. He went straight to the couch and sank in. Marisa did not want him there at all but she could tell he was not in good spirits so she went straight to the kitchen to get him some coffee. Ned followed her to the kitchen.
''I'm not drunk'' he said leaning on the counter.
   ''Drink your coffee and go home'' Marisa said placing the coffee mug right in front of him.
''Are you okay now? You were sick when I left and I wanted to check up on you'' Ned said sipping his coffee. Marisa was better now. She did not want want Ned to take care of her.
  ''I am fine, Ned. What's up with you?'' she leaned beside him.
''Well I had a disagreement with Michael. I think we are not friends anymore'' Ned said running a hand in his hair. Marisa froze when he mentioned Michael. She did not answer. Ned and Michael were best friends she could not think of any reason why they would argue to a point it would not be fixed. She pondered more on the issue.
What if this another trick of Michael's? I can not think of any reason why they would fight. Or what if Michael had been keeping an eye on me? Can I trust Ned?
  ''...do you know how that feels?'' Marisa heard Ned say when she tore herself away from her thoughts.
''No, what happened?''
   ''Marisa, were you listening?'' Ned asked her.
''Of course I want to understand completely'' She said taking a seat on one of the stools.
  ''You know, Michael and I have been friends since we were kids. We did everything together. Michael's family was rich so we always do what he wanted. I was always his shadow and he got all the girls I wanted all the time. I always did what he wanted and you know what? I grew sick of it, sick of his dirty ego and sick of being a minion of a stupid, spoilt rich bastard..'' Ned stopped and sighed. Marisa kept staring at him looking for a sign of deceit in his eyes. She realised he was being brutally honest. The realisation made her heart sank not for Ned but for Michael. Ned was the only person she knew Michael had and to be sitting their listening to what Ned was saying about him she felt pity for him.
'' I am sorry you had to feel that way'' Marisa managed to say.
  ''Did he do anything to you?'' Ned asked walking to her. Marisa was confused, she did not know what he wanted her to get at.
''Why would he do anything to me?'' Marisa asked him.
  '' I just thought he could have...'' Ned said. Marisa's reply meant Michael hadn't done anything with her. He was relieved.
''He did nothing'' Marisa insisted.
  ''I know you helped him get the deal with the Italian. He is selfish and he fired you when it had worked out, stupid move. The Italian is coming back in a few weeks and his wife expects you there. He doesn't know where you are and his dusty ego will not let him look for you'' Ned said bursting into laughter.
''That's something else'' Marisa said. She didn't want to hear anything else.
   ''I have no one to talk to, you know'' Ned said to her. She smiled.
''We talked didn't we?'' Marisa said. She saw him smile back. She did not like the way he had talked about Michael but she wanted to understand where he was coming from.
  ''We did, thank you'' he said. Marisa took the empty mug to the sink and went back to the stool.
''It is late, I think you should go''
   ''Yes you're right. Can I ask you something?''
''Yes, anything'' Marisa said.
   ''Would you like to go out some time?'' Ned tried his luck again.
''Why do you want to go out with me?''
   ''I really like you, Marisa'' Ned said to her.
''I will have to think about it'' Marisa said. She did not know why she had to think about it. It was like she was waiting for someone else to come and get her.
  ''Sounds promising. That's all I need'' Ned said with a smile. ''I'm going home now, goodnight''
Marisa walked him to the door. She decided that she was going to work the following day.

*.                                                                     *.                                          *.                                      *.

Michael felt desparate, didn't know how he was going to deceive Maurisio again. He had three days left. The Italian and his wife were going to land in the US in three days. Michael had spent a week and a half trying to figure something out and the argument he had had with Ned made it more difficult for him to focus. He walked around his office with his hand in his pockets. I am Michael Conor Howard, I don't need anyone. I am the smartest being I know and I will find a way to deal with this.... Michael thought as he went to sink in his chair.
    Rose had been sitting in her office for close to two hours and Michael hadn't called her for anything. She grew agitated, she just wanted to walk in his office and ask if he needed anything. Rose knew she was silly and naïve for feeling something for Michael when she knew he wanted nothing to do with anyone. She had to get her mind right and move on. I need to find myself a man better than Michael and move on. I get that can make him jealous...Oh damn! How can I ever move on when all I think about is the man I to forget..? Rose heard the phone ring. She picked it up and answered it.
  '' Michael Board's Office, hello?''
''Rose this is Ned'' she heard a voice at the end of the line.
  ''Okay, I'll transfer you to his office'' she said.
'' No! That will not be necessary I need to talk to you'' Ned was quick.
   ''What do you want?'' She was annoyed.
'' When is Maurisio coming and where will the meeting take place?''
  ''Why would you want to know that?'' rose questioned him. Good for him he had prepared for that.
''I'm planning a guy's mini vacation and I wouldn't want it to get in the way of Michael's business'' Ned answered her confident enough that there isn't be any more further questions.
  ''Oh, I see. Let me check....Umm he'll be here in L.A on friday and the meeting is a business dinner at Michael's around seven'' Rose said closing the journal on her desk.
''Thank you, I guess I'll have to shift the dates'' Ned said.
     Twenty minutes away, Ned Evans was putting the phone down after calling Rose. A smile cracked on his face a he figured what he was about to do could just be the smartest thing he had ever done.

...could just be smartest thing he had ever done.

stay tuned for 16
vote🌸🌸🌸