Chapter 35

Marisa felt tired. She had been at the jewellery store since eight in the morning, it was twelve noon now. It had been busier for the past two days. She was glad it was that way because she didn't get enough time to think about Ned's call. They had been getting along with Michael and that gave her one more less problem to worry about. She could say that they were getting close. Or was she getting close to him? Was it strange that he was being that good to her? They had been making love lately and she hadn't even thought of asking him what it meant to him. She had to know because she was in love with him. Marisa realized that she was reluctant to ask him because she was scared of his answer. Or she already knew his answer.
"Who is in charge here?" Marisa looked at the door. She saw a tall, blonde and beautiful woman looking around walking to her. She looked like a supermodel and Marisa could feel her negative energy before she had even closely approached her.
"I am in charge" Marisa answered dearly. They treated their customers with care no matter how they spoke.
"You are not Salma Alfino" the woman said taking her sun glasses off.
"You asked for the person in charge, ma'am and not Salma Alfino" Marisa said.
"And who are you?"
"I am Marisa Muniz, how can I help?" She tried to stay calm.
"Well, since you are in charge; I have no choice. I am getting married in three weeks time and I need one of the best wrist watches for men you have got. I want to get my man a gift" the woman said looking at Marisa.
"I will show you what we...."
"Don't worry, Morris...Marisa is it? I already know what I want. I'll show you, I saw it on display".
"That's okay, you can show me",Marisa replied. She followed the woman to the glass display full of watches.
"You know my fiance is a busy man. We came here a couple of weeks from L.A. He is building a hotel here" the lady said. Marisa wondered if it was just a coincidence or the woman's story was just like hers. Or maybe since this was a big project, they'd be many stakeholders.
"So how do you spend your days here?" Marisa asked. She hoped maybe she would get some ideas.
"Oh, I go to the spar and go shopping. My fiance takes me out most afternoons after work" the woman bragged. Marisa did not reply. The woman pointed at a black watch with leather belts. She took it and handed it to the woman. Marisa could tell it was expensive from the diamond that was fitted securely into one of the belts.
"Do you want any custom additions on the watch? We can do that for you" Marisa asked.
"Definitely, it's a gift. I want my fiance's initials engraved on the back of the wrist watch. I think that is all" she told Marisa.
"It won't take long. You can give me the initials then I'll get it done in a minute" Marisa said.
"M.C.H, in gold" the woman said clearly.
"M.C.H?" Marisa asked to be sure.
"That's right", the woman replied with a smile.
"Got it. You can sit on the couch while I get it done" Marisa said as she walked away to the backroom. She gave the wrist watch to the jeweler together with the instructions of the custom additions. She waited while he engraved the initials onto the back of the wrist watch. Her mind was onto something but she wasn't sure what was bugging her. Something was off but what was it? She tried to focus. Then it hit her. M.C.H. Those initials were just familiar or it was a coincidence. Michael Connor Howard. He was M.C.H. What if it was a coincidence? Those things were just common. Marisa almost laughed at herself. She was being silly and paranoid. It could be just a coincidence but wait...! That woman mentioned that her fiance was building a hotel her and that they had came from L.A! What is the chance of having another M.C.M who lived in L.A and had came to Italy to build a hotel? The chances were slim. The details are just so identical. What if Michael had...? Why would he hide anything something like that? Marisa got the watch after it was done but she was still lost in her thoughts. She processed the payment and wrapped the watch whilst the lady was watching her like a hawk.
"Thank you for buying from us, have a great a day" Marisa said handing over the packaged watch to the lady. She didn't reply but took her package and went out. Marisa let out a heavy sight. What a piece of work!

Olivia walked to her car and she got in. She put a little gift bag she was clutching on the passanger seat. She had seen her. Marisa Muniz. She had talked to her. Olivia hated how calm she was and how beautiful she was. Marisa was prettier than her. It had annoyed Olivia how Marisa had remained calm when she had tried to insult her back in the jewellery store. Marisa had not even showed interest when she had mentioned details that were identical to hers. How could she had not realised I was talking about Michael? How I wish It was true. So I bought this damn watch for nothing! She wasn't even jealous because she didn't get it. That dumb idiot! Even when I mentioned the initials she didn't even get it. I should have said his name, I should have....Wait! I guess I didn't buy this stupid watch for nothing after all. I know what I can do...
Olivia smiled as she embraced the idea that lingered in her head.

Michael finished ealier at work. He was glad because he felt tired. He wondered if Marisa had went home from the store. It was too early for her though. Salma was not at the store these days so she hadeft Marisa in charge. Michael had wanted to stand in the way but he had realised that it would be good for Marisa to leave the ranch and get some air. He was now looking forward to their nights together everyday after work. Michael knew that at some point he would have to stick his boot down and end the charade he was putting  both of them through. He knew being with her made him feel happy and good about himself but he had ghosts and she was not his type of woman. He also did not want to sit down with himself and find out if that was still true.
    Michael drove to the jewellery store to check if Marisa was still there. He saw her sitting on the couch. She looked bored and tired. Michael couldn't wait to tell her about his day at work. She didn't notice him walk in. He approached her and sat on the couch. Her face lit up when she saw him.
   "Tired?" He asked her.
"Bored mostly. You're early today" she said.
    "I thought I'd come and get you today. I have something to show you" Michael said. He had found out there was a river in the small woody area in the ranch just a mile from the house.
"What is it?" Marisa asked excitedly. She heard a nagging thought in her mind telling her that she should ask him what they were and what she was to him other than the woman who was carrying his child. She ignored it, she did not want to ruin this. Not today.
  "You'll see" Michael told her. He silently prayed she would like it and share the same feeling he had felt when he'd been there. He had seen it when he had gone for a morning jog the previous day.
"Let me get my purse" Marisa said. She took her purse and left someone in charge.
   "We can go home first, I need to get out of this suit" Michael said as they walked to the car.
"Michael, is there someone with the initials M.C.H in your project?" Marisa asked.
   "Yes I know one" Michael replied. Marisa felt relieved. So there was another M.C.H from L.A in their project. Marisa felt the need to check again, just to be sure.
"And the full name?"
    "Come on, Muniz. I'm M.C.H, remember?"