Chapter 41

Marisa showed the note to Michael. He read it and grimaced.

"I think I have to talk to him. If we have him as an enemy this is never going to work out", Michael said pulling his phone out of his pocket. He dialed Ned's number and took the call outside.

"And?" Marisa asked him when he walked back into the kitchen.

"I am going to meet him in town in the next hour", He answered as he went upstairs.

Michael saw Ned waiting in the parking lot. He tried to keep his paranoia under control. Last time they had been in the same space together with Ned things had not ended well. Michael approached Ned and stood beside him whilst they leaned on his car. He was trying to assure him that he had come in peace.

"I was not sure if you were coming, Mike" Ned said folding his hands.

"Well, I did", Michael said to him. Ned did not appear as if he wanted to argue or fight. He was actually staring at a distance as he spoke.

"Why didn't she come? I'm not dangerous, it was just a little bit of admiration", Ned said with a straight face.

"She was feeling under the weather", Michael answered. He was trying to think if Ned was capable of imposing harm on anyone. He had agreed to meet up with him because he wanted to make peace with him.

"You see, I was there for her when you threw her out of your house. I picked her up from work when it was raining or too dark for her to walk home. She became my friend and I hers. I really cared about her, Mike. I fell in love with her and it hurt when I realized that she had gone back to your house. Do you know that she stood me up for a date that night to come and help you with the charade you had created? I have made mistakes and some of them I wish I could take back and I am not a good person either but I try. I wanted Marisa back and I tried to Olivia back into your life. You did not take the bait. I know it was not because of what Olivia did to you, you would have taken her back either way", Ned paused and looked at Michael and when he did not say anything Ned continued, "You have fallen for Marisa. I am not surprised, she is amazing. My concern is that you will hurt her. I already know I have lost, she probably sees me as a psycho".

"I wasn't in a competition with you Ned and you know that. I fired her because I was stupid back then and I still may be. I cannot have you as an enemy because of a misunderstanding.."

"It was not a misunderstanding, you broke the bro code!" Ned exclaimed.

"I am sorry. I found out she was carrying my child I couldn't just leave her", Michael said.

"Why can't you leave her now?" Ned asked him.

"I fell in love with her, I cannot do that", Michael said. That was the first time that he had admitted that out loud. Ned's angry expression turned into a more worried one.

"I knew you had. I just feel sorry for Marisa because I know she does not deserve you. You are standing here admitting that but you left her alone in a ballroom full of strangers to go into a secret room with a woman who broke your heart. You don't even have the guts to tell her you are in love with her because of you damn pride and you say I am worse", Ned said looking straight at Michael.

"I need time to be a better man," Michael said. He knew Ned was telling the truth. He could not bring himself to tell Marisa how he felt about her even after Ned had challenged him to.

"We will see if time is going to wait for you. I no longer hold anything against you, we can still be friends. I'm sorry about whatever stuff that has been happening between us", Ned held out his hand for a handshake.

"I am sorry too bro", Michael said shaking Ned's hand.

"Is it too early for a beer?" Ned asked with a smile.

"You we can get one anytime", Michael laughed as he patted Ned's back.

Marisa had spend all day worried about Michael. He had not come back since he had gone out to meet up with Ned. Marisa had dinner and took a shower and still Michael had not come back. She had tried his phone a couple of time but her calls were not going through. She was about to go sleep when Michael walked in. Marisa tried not look worried.

"I have to go straight to the shower, I stink of booze", Michael said as he staggered to the shower. Marisa figured he was drunk so she let him go to the bathroom without saying a word. she heard the shower run and tried so much not to think about where he had been or with whom.

Michael came out of the bathroom and changed before brushing his teeth. He noticed that Marisa was concentrating on a movie before going down to the kitchen for a coffee. Michael went back up.

"You have not said a word since I came in", Michael said sitting on the bed.

"What happened with Ned?" Marisa asked not taking her eyes off from the screen.

"We talked and we settled our differences. We actually went for drinks afterwards", Michael said. Marisa was actually listening now.
"That is good news, Michael", she said before focusing back on her film.

"Okay Muniz, what is going on?" Michael asked her.

"Nothing is wrong".

"I am not stupid, Marisa" Michael said. She said nothing but kept focusing on the screen. Michael walked to the tv and stood in front.

"You are blocking my view", Marisa said to him.

"I know that. I want to know what is up with you", Michael said.

"May you please move away from the screen?" Marisa said sliding out of bed and walking to where he was.

" You do know that you are not strong enough to do what you want to do right?' Michael folded his hands and stared back at Marisa. He was prepared to give up and let her win because he did not want her that close to him without losing his composure.

"Move, Michael", Marisa said. She was feeling angry. All the bottled up complains and emotions she had were taking over her. She saw Michael staring back at her without making a move. Marisa knew he wanted her to do something but she was not going to argue with him. She was turning to go back to the bed when he pulled her back.

"Muniz you need to stop this. I just want to know what is wrong", Michael asked her.

"You know you are the problem and I hate that you really want me to tell you something different", Marisa told him. Michael's hand was still holding her arm. Marisa looked at his hand signaling him to let go.

"No", he said when he got her signal. He wanted to kiss her but he knew that he could be making the biggest mistake. She was mad at him and that was a bad way to handle this situation.

"Let go!"

"I am sorry, Marisa", He said genuinely. Marisa avoided his look. There was a pause from Michael. "Muniz, please look at me". Marisa's blue eyes met his and there was a gentle pause from both of them.

"Don't do it", Marisa said to Michael.

"Screw it, I am kissing you".