Chapter 36

Marisa didn't ask anything more. Did this mean Michael was the same man that woman was talking about? It could be true. She was beautiful and confident. That was the type Michael went for. Then what was she to him? Marisa felt a twinge of pain when she thought that Michael could be using him. She had fallen for him. Was that hard for him to see?
"Why are you so quiet?" Michael asked her as they pulled into the ranch house driveway.
"Well, I had this customer at work today. She mentioned that she came  with her fiance here in italy from L.A" Marisa said. She had to tell him to see his reaction.
"They came for their wedding?"
"No but she says that her fiance is building a hotel here and he is M.C.H" Marisa said and waited for Michael's reaction. He carefully parked the car and removed the key from the ignition.
"And you think that I am the man that she was talking about. It's strange though because if I think of it, there no other M.C.H in the board of directors or amongst the other stakeholders. I know a Mason Herman though, could be him. Maybe he doesn't use his middle name" Michael said removing his seat belt.
"It's all just too similar" Marisa said.
"Whomever you saw was not talking about me, Muniz" Michael said. He could see it was bothering her.
"Then who was it? Or it's just a coincidence, right" Marisa felt silly.
"That's what it was. Let's go inside. I meed to change then we'll go for our date" Michael said.
"Our date? You want to go in a date with me?" Marisa asked him. She felt excited. The Michael he knew would have never taken her out for a date.
"Yes, I told you I have something to show you" Michael told her. They got out of the car and went inside.
Michael changed into jeans and a t shirt. He was thinking about what Marisa had told her. The truth was that there were no investors from L.A. but he had chose to think that it was just a coincidence. His best guess was that the woman Marisa had seen was a reporter. He hoped Marisa had not shared much.
"What do I wear?" Marisa asked him as she kicked off her heeled shoes.
"It's not a formal thing so you can get rid of the dress" Michael replied tying his shoe laces. Marisa changed into jeans and sneakers.
"Get your swim suit and go to the car. I want to go to the kitchen and get something from Sofia" Michael said leaving the room. Marisa smiled to herself. So this was a date, a cool date. She got her swimsuit and towel. She tied her hair into a loose ponytail and went to the car.
Michael came to the car five minutes later. He was holding a basket and he put it in the backseat.
"Can I at least know where?" Marisa asked him.
"Two miles from the ranch house, that's where" Michael told her.
" I was prepared for a road trip" Marisa said with a laugh.
"This is better, see those woods? That's were we're headed" Michael said.
The drive to the woods was silent. Marisa was deep in her thoughts. Why was Michael doing this for her? He didn't care. Was he trying to get her hopes up and hurt her?
Michael realised that Marisa was awfully quiet. He wished he knew what she was thinking. Michael wanted to do this for her. She needed to be happy and he wanted her to be happy.
"This place is beautiful" Marisa said when she got out of the car. They were at the bank of a river that was surrounded by the woods. It was a quiet place that no one would think of going to unless they had been there once.
    "I know. Do you like it?" Michael said taking the basket out out the car.
"I love it. I could use some peace and quiet" Marisa replied tying her hair into a messy bun.
   "Let's swim then we'll have lunch" Michael suggested. He was changing into shorts when his phone rang. Marisa changed into her swim suit and walked to the river whilst Michael answered his phone.
  She stepped into the water and walked until the water reached her belly button.
"Everything alright?" Marisa called out to Michael after he was off the phone.
   "Sure, I'll be right with you" he called back taking off his shirt. Michael walked into the river to her.
"Why did you bring me here?"
   "Because I thought you would like it" Michael said.
"Why do you care what I like now?"
    "Because we get along now and if you stay happy then we'll be fine" Michael answered her.
"You never wanted us to be fine" Marisa said. She was close to asking him what he thought they were.
  "I want us to be fine now. We are going to raise a child together, shouldn't we get along?" Michael answered. He splashed water at her before he asked anything more.
    "What's that for?"Marisa complained.
"You're talking too much, let's enjoy the date" Michael answered. Marisa gave him a weak smile. She realized he didn't not want to confront their situation. She decided to let it wait for another day.
   "Sure" she said. Marisa started playing with the water.
"I brought burgers. Sofia told me they are your favourite" Michael said.
   "So you took your time" Marisa replied him. He came closer to her.
"How is that, coming from Michael Howard?" He smiled. Michael realised that he was trying too hard of which he never did. He was trying to impress Marisa but today she seemed low. He knew all of this was confusing her and he did not want them to talk about it.
   "That's pretty thoughtful and sweet. You are never sweet" Marisa commented slowly. Michael reached for her waist with both hands and looked her in the eyes.
"What's wrong?" He asked.
    "Nothing is wrong, I just had a long day"  Marisa knew she couldn't confront their situation now even if this was the chance. She was afraid of what he would say, it would hurt her.
"Marisa, come on" Michael said.
   "This is all just overwhelming, no one has never done this for me. You wouldn't have done this for me so.." Marisa felt like crying.
"But I did, Muniz. We should enjoy the day lest it will end when we haven't done anything" Michael's heart sank. He had taken women on jet rides, trips to beautiful islands and shopping sprees but he hadn't seen any of them break down because they couldn't believe it. This was just a simple picnic.
    "I know, thank you" She said placing her smooth hand on his cheek.
He pulled her much closer and kissed her. Michael knew she was becoming more important to her. She was carrying his child but she was so much more.
" I'm starving" Marisa said whispered.
    "I was starting to feel the cold in here, let's go and set up the picnic" Michael said to her. They got out of the water and sat on the cloth Michael had brought. They ate their burgers as  Michael told her about the project and how it was to work with Michael Alfino.
"I need to know more about you, Marisa" Michael said. She smiled faintly and rolled her blue eyes.
   "There isn't much to tell. Well, I came to the U.S with my grandmother when I was a baby. I never knew my parents because they were killed in Mexico in a car crash" She paused.
"I am sorry to hear that" Michael said genuinely.
  "So it was just me and her. I wanted to study business but I had to drop out of college when my sponsor died. The rest you know" Marisa said.
"That's why you are a strong woman, you have gone through a lot. You remind me of my mother" Michael said. His phone rang, he answered it. He listened calmly for a few seconds and dropped the call.
   "Everything okay?"
"Yes, that was Ned".
   "What did he say?" Marisa asked him clearly shaken.
"He asked if we are planning to leave the river anytime soon" Michael replied trying to stay calm.
   "Oh my God! Does that mean..."
"He is stalking us. Let's go, Marisa".