Chapter 29

Michael chose to let it go. He didn't want to show Marisa he was bothered but he was a bit mad at her.
" They're waiting, let's go" he said walking towards the door. Marisa followed him without a word. They went to the dinning room to join the Alfinos for dinner. Everyone was already seated including Luca. Marisa relaxed as she took her seat beside Michael. She was anxious that Michael had not let her explain how Luca had gotten head band. Marisa had turned down Luca's offer to go and watch the horses in the morning but had reconsidered when she found that she couldn't sleep well. She had gone to the stables and helped Luca feed the horses. Marisa could swear that nothing other than that had  happened. She hadn't realized that her head band was missing when she came back to the room.
They were eating in silence when Luca cleared his throat. Michael knew he wanted to say something.
" So Michael, I heard that this is the biggest deal you have ever stumbled upon" Luca said. Michael took it as an offensive statement. Did he mean that he couldn't do anything better than that deal?
"Yes it is and I have to say I appreciate the trust your father has put in me" Michael said.
"Good for you. Well, I deal with horses. I have over thirty horses here and twelve of them have worn championships in every horse race they have been in" Luca said proudly.
"That's good. I have never considered looking into horses" Michael replied with honesty.
"You wife said the same thing. She changed her mind after two hours of feeding the horses" Luca said gazing at Marisa.
"I guess she has found herself a new hobby, I'm glad" Michael said. There was an uncomfortable silence. Salma cleared her throat.
" How are you enjoying your stay here, Marisa?" Salma asked. She knew how difficult and blunt his son could be so she tried to save dinner.
"I like it here, especially the serene atmosphere" Marisa said. She was uncomfortable under Luca's gaze.
"I'm glad you like it here. I was wondering if you would like to go to the jewellery store tomorrow with me" Salma offered as the plates were being taken away from the table. Marisa didn't want to move around but she gave Salma a weak smile.
"Sure, I'd love to" she replied. Marisa looked at Michael and his expression was approving.
" Thank you for the wonderful dinner, it was delicious" Michael said. He wanted to retire to bed already.
"Anything for our guests, Mr Howard" Mauricio said.
"So Michael...." Luca was cut short by his father.
"I think we should go. We had a wonderful dinner" Mauricio knew his son was going to start challenging Michael. He didn't want his guests to feel uncomfortable so he was trying to avoid it.
"Thank you. We had a long day we will be go to bed soon" Michael said. He knew Luca was on to him and he was not interested in the drama he was trying to bring up. He did not want to feel threatened by him but he was. Luca Alfino had nothing to lose and like him, he had had an opportunity to make big moves and be powerful but he lived his life like tomorrow did not matter. Michael couldn't afford that.
Marisa was getting ready for bed when Michael walked in. She watched him take off his work clothes and change into sweat pants and t shirt. He took his laptop and sat on the couch then started working.
  "My head band must've fallen while I was feeding the horses" Marisa said.
"Okay" Michael said without looking at her.
  "Aren't you mad?"
"Why would I be mad?" Michael asked her.
   "Well I just wanted to clear things up" Marisa said.
"You can do whatever you want. Just don't ruin this for me. Do you know how bad I will look if you are seen getting cosy with that cowboy?" Michael asked her and this time he shut his laptop and stood up.
  "I know and I am sorry if it looked that way" Marisa said genuinely.
"Make sure you are not going overboard, Marisa. If we get discovered everything is over" Michael said.
   "I just got bored today and Luca..."
"I thought you were sick in the morning. You were running around feeding horses and lifting heavy things all day. You are pregnant!" Michael said with frustration.
   "I didn't do anything..."
"How do I know? If you were pregnant with that clown's child would he let you do that?" Michael fumed at her.
  "I was bored and I just went out to help him. He had offered to give me a tour of the ranch" Marisa told Michael. She had not known it was going to turn out this way. At least Michael was better than how he had been so she was not really scared of him right now.
"You're careless, Marisa. I thought I wouldn't have to worry about you drifting away from the script. How can you..." Michael stopped when he realized that she was crying.
  "I thought I was careful. I was just trying to be a good guest" Marisa said sobbing. Michael stood there staring at her. This was the difficult part about staying with a her. She was becoming delicate by the day and he didn't know how to deal with it. He slowly walked to the bed and sat next to her.
"I know you are trying to play your part as well but you have to be careful that's all I'm trying to say, okay?" Michael said trying to be nice. She leaned on his shoulder and relaxed.
   "I wish I could do something right for once. Why do you hate me, Michael?" Marisa asked slowly.
"I think we should go to bed" Michael said dodging her question. The question had hurt him. That was the exact same question his mother had asked her father over and over again and he had been there to hear it every time. He was turning into his father and he hated it.
  "Why do you hate me?" Marisa asked again. Michael stood up and went to the couch. He took his blankets and sank into couch. Marisa started to say something when bellowed at her.
"I am not Herbert!" He saw her face turn pale with terror. Michael realized he had opened the door he wished could have stayed shut forever.
    "Who's Herbert?"