Chapter 23

Michael had been in a meeting for almost three hours. He walked into his office and threw his jacket on his chair. He felt tired and needed to go home. Rose walked into the office.
"No one looked for me while I was in the meeting?" Michael asked her.
  "No business calls, at least that I know of. There have been seven missed calls on your cell from a number saved as Muniz and I.."
"Did you answer it?" Michael immediately sensed that something was wrong. Marisa wouldn't call him if it wasn't something she could handle.
  "I didn't, I thought it was private" Rose said. She really had thought it was private.
"Lock the office when you leave, okay?" Michael said grabbing his phone and keys. He dashed out of the office. Something was wrong. Something was really wrong. He tried Marisa's phone as he went to the parking lot and it went unanswered. He got into the car and drove home like a bat out of hell.
     *                  *                   *

Michael ran into the house and found Marisa laying on the cold floor unconscious. Her nose had been bleeding and  a few bruises on her arms and legs. He figured she had fallen down the stairs. Michael immediately called the ambulance. He didn't want to call Hudson. Marisa needed to be treated at the hospital. He was ready for the the exposure that this could bring for him.
He drove behind the ambulance to the hospital. He was feeling guilty for not being there when she had desperately needed him. She had believed he could be there and he wasn't. What if something happens to the baby? Or what if something happens to Marisa? Michael couldn't remember the last time he had been generally worried about someone the way he was right now.

Michael had last tasted coffee from the hospital cafeteria when his mother was sick. Flora had been there with him playing aunt when his father wasn't. He knew his mother was going to die but he had to be there for her so she'd cross to the other side feeling his presence by her bedside. Now there he was sipping his coffee waiting for the doctor.
  "Mr Howard?" Michael jerked from his seat and went to the elderly Doctor.
"Yes?" He hoped it was good news.
   "Your wife is stable. The baby is okay. We ran an ultrasound scan to check and everything is okay. Your wife suffered a concussion and she may need to stay here for the night. We have administered an IV drip because she was terribly dehydrated. We also gave her something for the pain" the Doctor told Michael.
"Can I see her?" Michael asked. He was relieved that everything was okay.
  "Well, yes. I just need to go over a few things with you first" the doctor said. Michael didn't want to wait any longer but he obliged.
"I understand this is your first time as an expectant father. Am I right?"
  "Yes, Doctor" Michael agreed.
"There are a few things to consider as an expectant father. The first thing is that pregnant women undergo certain hormonal changes during this period. They can be fragile, emotional and needy. Secondly, they need someone who understands them and someone can help them through these changes. To take care of the baby we need to take care of the mother as well. I hope you have understood that Mr Howard" the Doctor said. He didn't want to accuse Michael of negligence although itbhad appeared so considering Marisa had been dehydrated.
  "Understood, Doctor" Michael knew the Doctor was giving him a lecture on negligence. He couldn't defend himself because he knew it had been his fault.
"You can go and see your wife" The Doctor told him.
    Michael thought she had been asleep when he walked in. She opened her eyes when he walked in. Michael saw her look away from him. He took one of the comfortable chairs and placed it on her bedside before sinking into the seat.
  "It was an accident, I swear. I am sorry" Michael heard her say. Her voice was shaky. She wasn't looking at him. Michael felt hurt. He had installed so much fear in her that she felt she had to apologize for an accident.
"Marisa look at me" he said. She turned to look at him. He saw she was crying.
   "I slipped, I.."
"It's my fault, Marisa. You did nothing wrong", Michael said. She looked confused. Michael understood that. He had never admitted ever being wrong.
  "I thought you weren't going to come" Marisa said. She had been scared when she had woken up to find herself in a hospital, alone.
"I'm here. I'm sorry I wasn't there. I should have been there" Michael meant it. She was her responsibility and he was supposed to make sure she was okay.
  "Your baby is okay" Marisa told him. She struggled to reach for small ultrasound picture. She handed it to him. Michael took it and examined it.
"So that little..."
   "Bean?" They laughed.
"Yes, bean. It's so small" Michael said smiling.
   "Yes but there it is" Marisa said. She was scared that this Michael was going to disappear again. She watched him as he looked at the picture with adoration.
"It's beautiful" he said. He was feeling happy he couldn't explain it.
A nurse came in holding a tray with medication.
   " I just need to give you something for the pain. It'll help you rest" She said taking the syringe and needle.
Michael stood up and kissed Marisa on the forehead. He then turned to.the nurse.
"I'll leave you to it. Goodnight, sweetheart" he said and left.
  "Your husband really cares about you" the nurse said to Marisa. She administered the pain killer through the IV. Marisa nodded with a smile. Only she knew that Michael wasn't her husband, he was the father of the child she was carrying. How she wished he could be a bit more than that. The nurse was done and she checked if everything was okay.
" You may get some rest. I will come later to pull out the IV drip" the Nurse said.
Marisa felt alone again when the nurse had left. She tried to sleep but she couldn't. She thought of Michael. Marisa didn't want him leave. She needed him to stay with her even if he was putting on a show for the hospital staff. Marisa closed her eyes so she'd find sleep. She heard the door crack open and opened her eyes.
  "Those coffee machines take forever to make some coffee" Michael said walking in. He raised a cupcake. "You're hungry?"

Eyes Of MunizOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara