Chapter 8

Marisa heard Michael say her name. She turned to him imidiately. His eyes where still glued on his laptop.
  " Yes, sir?" He shifted  his attention from the laptop. He looked at her. Marisa thought he looked too attractive for his character.
"I need your help", he had never said anything like this to a woman obviously after Olivia. He was willing to do anything for that Alfino deal.
   " Help? Are you asking for help?" She was shocked that he had actually said the word help. Michael's patience was hanging by a thread.
" Are you deaf?"
   " You're being rude for a person who needs help, Mr Howard" Marisa said. She knew he would fume at her for talking back.
"I can be as rude as I want to, okay?" Michael said to her. He saw her expression of disapproval but ignored it.
   "Okay, what do you want me to do? Make dinner for ten, scrub the floors...."
" I want you to be an actress"
    " An actress", Marisa almost laughed. She would have laughed if the man in front of her wasn't serious.
"Yes. There is a role I want you to play for me" Michael said. He was observing her. He didn't trust this woman one bit.
  " Why me?" She asked.
" Because you're a stranger to the press" he said.
   "So what I'm I going to be helping with?" She asked him. Marisa sat down with on one of the stools.
"Negotiating a business deal", he said. She didn't look excited.
   " What?"
" You're going to pose as my wife at a business dinner on Saturday", he said reluctantly.
  " I'm going to what? But I haven't agreed yet", she didn't know where he had gotten this idea.
  " You don't have to agree, you're going to do it anyway", Michael said to her.
" Is that a threat Mr Howard?"
   "Yes, yes it is" Michael said bluntly.
" No one will believe I'm your 'wife'. There's no record of it", she said. She didn't know what would happen if she refused, she didn't even want to know.
   "It'll be only for one dinner only. There are just two of them", Michael said.
" But playing your wife?" Marisa said with a tone of wonder.
" Trust me, Muniz; this is nothing personal", Michael said running a mocking gaze from her head to toe.
" I don't know how to be a wife", Marisa said.
   " Then you have a week to teach yourself", he said. Marisa looked at him defeated. He packed up his laptop and rose from the kitchen stool.
" I still haven't agreed to this" she said to him stubbornly.
   " Like I said, you don't have to agree" Michael said going upstairs.

             *.             *.           *

Marisa spent the rest of the week thinking about what Michael had said. She was not getting a raise out of this was she? She really didn't know how to act like a wife. She had dated some guys back then and she had always been shy and couldn't think about being a wife. Well, today was the day so she had to decide. Decide? No, she wasn't going to decide on anything. She had already agreed but she didn't want to accept that. She was scared of Michael. She'd just do what he had asked for a day if not hours and everyone is happy, no Michael is happy. Marisa rose up from the kitchen stool and went to her room.
She was taking a nap when she heard Michael call her name. She jerked up and listened again.
  " Marisa we haven't got all day, I need to discuss something with you", Michael called out. Marisa got off from the bed and fixed her dress. She opened the door hurriedly. Michael stood there relaxed.
"Are you ready?" He asked her.
  "Ready?" She didn't understand. He looked annoyed.
"Yes, ready. I gave you a week. Today's the day. I'm having dinner with a prominent potential business partner this evening. I gave him the impression that I was married so you are going to pose as my wife" Michael explained. Marisa looked at him. Why would he lie he was married?
  " But why would you lie that..."
" Because it's business, woman! That's how it works. You have three hours to get ready, we'll discuss the rest on the way. Someone's coming to help you get ready, okay?"
  "Okay. What's in there for me if I do this?" She asked him folding her hands.
"Not getting fired", Michael said walking away.
  "That'll be an unfair dismissal and blackmail!" She called out. Michael stopped and looked back at her.
"Shelly is coming to help you get ready, we'll be there by seven" he said and strode off. Marisa ran a nervous hand in her black hair and went back in her room.

Shelly arrived at five. She was a petite looking elder woman whom Marisa estimated was in her early forties. She had three dress choices for Marisa. Shelly did Marisa's make up and she was done by quarter to seven.

 Shelly did Marisa's make up and she was done by quarter to seven

Shelly left as soon as she was done. Marisa went to the mirror and stared at her reflection.she could barely recognize herself. She looked beautiful. All was left was to know how to act married. This evening she was going to be "Mrs Howard". She stared deeper at her reflection and tilted her head. She straightened up and smiled, she was beautiful.
  " Good evening Mrs Howard" Marisa naughtily said to her reflection. She shifted her pose.
"Oh good evening. How are you doing sir?" She replied herself with a muffled cute giggle.
"Good, Mrs Howard. I must say your eyes look breathtaking..."
  "Uh-hh what are you doing?" Michael's voice startled Marisa. She flushed crimson with embarrassment but she remained calm.
" I'm teaching myself to be a wife" she said turning to face him. She looked up to him and said,"How do I look?" He looked at her from feet up.
  " You look like a wife", he said. He actually thought she looked stunning, beautiful like a Queen but he wouldn't tell her that.
" Really?".
   " We're almost late, I'm never late anywhere. Let's go" Michael said and left her room. "I want you in the car in a minute!" He called out.
Marisa rolled her eyes and grabbed her small purse. She took one last look at the mirror and stormed out.
  They drove in silence until they reached the parking lot of a huge hotel. Michael switched the engine off and shifted in his seat to face Marisa.
  " Okay, Muniz. Here's the plan...."

For Kizito Shepherd. You'll forever be missed🌺 and deeply loved, Rest in dear peace. Til we meet again..