Chapter 45

Herbert gave a light smile when he saw the shock in Michael's face. He descended the stairs and went to Marisa. 

"How are you doing dear?" He asked her.

   "I am doing well thank you", She answered cautiously catching Michael's stare at the corner of his eye. 

"Father, what are you really doing her?" Michael asked with a lower tone now. He knew that his father would be difficult to talk to if he felt provoked, he fed on that.

    "I am her to see you son. Where is Flora?" Herbert asked looking around. He saw Michael's blank stare.

"Did you fire her?"

   "She left to leave with her daughter. She had Alzheimer's disease, father", Michael told him.
"Poor, Flora", Hebert said. 

    "So how long will you be staying, Herbert?" Marisa asked him breaking the silence.

"As long as I can. Aren't you excited, dear?" Herbert asked with a smile Marisa had seen on Michael every time he smiled.

    "Yes, I am excited", Marisa said. She did not dare to look at Michael.

"Unbelievable! Marisa we need our own space, he cannot stay here with us", Michael said running his hand in his hair. 

    "It's okay, I understand. I just thought I would come up here and meet my son and his wife. It has been long Mikey, I really need to make things right between us again", Herbert's tone changed. Marisa could see the shift in emotions of the older man. 

"Michael..", Marisa said.

    "He is being manipulative, I am not moved", Michael said.

"Don't be like that, your father came to visit you. I think you are being inconsiderate", Marisa said pulling his jacket back onto her shoulders. 

    "I have known this man for a long time, Muniz", Marisa said his temper rising. Herbert was quiet now as they were arguing. 

"I know but you need to stop being childish", Marisa said to Michael.

     "You wouldn't know anything, you have never known your father", Michael yelled. There was dead silence. Marisa's puzzled face froze starring at him. Herbert's mouth was wide open. He realized what he had actually said. "Marisa I didn't..." She was in tears already and she brushed past him going up the stairs.

"Who is the bad guy now?" Herbert said with a disapproving shake of his head.

      "Get out, please", Michael said. He wanted to walk away from him to go upstairs but Herbert's firm grip held him back.

"Son, I am your enemy. That woman you just sent upstairs in tears is your wife and..."

    "Do not lecture me about marriage, do not dare. You are not the person to tell me that so please just sincerely leave me alone and get out of here", Michael said fuming.

"I am not leaving, if you have known me all your life then you would know that I am not going to give in. I was locked up for ten years and you never took my calls nor replied my letters. Michael, I was a shitty husband but I know that I tried to do right by you. You are holding on to a grudge that is not yours to keep", Herbert said calmly.
    "You were never there for any of us so do not lie, Herbert. You know that and you are standing here lying and lying", Michael was trying to concentrate on the argument he was pulling with his father and worrying about Marisa at the same time.
"I was a fool and I had ten years to reflect on that. All I want is a chance. You know that I was not entirely bad. Look at where you are now, look at your life and look at yourself", Herbert said his voice almost shaking.

    "Are you broke, father?" Michael asked the question out of the blue.

"Why would you ask me that?" Herbert was thrown off.

     "You wouldn't come to me unless you need something", He replied surveying his father's expression.
"You are right, son. That was the Herbert Howard who raised you not the one standing in front of you", Herbert said. 
     "I do not buy anything you are saying. You should leave, father", Michael said.

"I will go and say goodbye to Marisa", Herbert said. He went upstairs and stood in the hallway. A wave of memories engulfed him and he stood still. This is where he had first lived with Clara, (Michael's mother) when they had just got married. Clara had been his father's secretary and Hebert had met her at an event that had been held at the company. She had fallen pregnant before they had married and Herbert only found out after he had moved to France to explore the stock market there. He had came back and married her. Life had been so simple then. Herbert and Clara went everywhere together and did everything together. Herbert knew when problems between them had started. He wished that he had done more to keep them together. Clara was never really the same after Michael was born. She had slid into depression when she couldn't get pregnant afterwards no matter how hard they tried. She lost it when she was told she had secondary infertility and could not give birth or carry a baby to full term. Clara had started to take sleeping pills and painkillers in excess when Michael was seven. Herbert tried to get her help but she was way in too deep. He did not want to take away Clara from little Michael so he had tried to get her help from home. Clara dodged her sessions and took Michael to the park. Herbert finally gave up. She would sleep in another room whenever Herbert mentioned her addiction and how it would affect Michael being around her if she kept on. He finally gave up and drifted away as she pushed him away. They were never the same again. Herbert made sure Michael continued to see his mother in the same light but it came with a price, he became the monster. Flora knew but it was not her secret to spill so she kept quiet as it was also her duty that Michel never found out about her mother's battles with sanity. 
Herbert tore himself from his thoughts and realized he did not know which Bedroom Marisa was in.
    "Marisa?" Herbert called out. He waited and saw he slowly popping from one of the bedrooms. 

"I am in here", She said standing by the door.

       "I have to leave, my son won", He said with a small smile.

"Yes, seems he always does", She replied him flatly. 

      "I would like to get to know you, Marisa. I am a father in law and about to be a grandfather and I would like to know the woman who has given me those titles", Herbert said kindly.

"I would like to know you too", Marisa said. She wondered what Herbert's side of the story was.

       "Here is my number. Maybe we may have lunch some time?" Herbert said fishing out a pen and scribbling his number on small piece of paper that came out of his pocket. Marisa took the piece of paper.
"I will reach out", She said promisingly.

    "I will go now", He said turning to leave.

"Herbert...?"

    "I think your son needs you. You need to apologize for whatever you did to make him like that", She said. He gave her small nod and left.

Herbert went downstairs and found Michael at his mini bar having a drink. He walked up to him and stood for a moment.
    "Son, when you are ready for my side of the story I will be waiting for your call. I do not regret being a strict father to you because it made you the successful man you are today. What I do regret is protecting you from the truth", Herbert said and walked away. 
    Michael tried to ignore what he had just said but then he could not. Herbert had never said something that sounded that genuine to Michael, ever. He was left with a deep urge to know the truth that he had mentioned. The truth about whom? Herbert had always appeared to be a liar but Michael felt he needed to know more. He had to fight with his pride now and years of hatred for his father.....