Chapter 32

Michael slowly put his hand on the back of her neck and gently pulled her to him. He kissed her and just as he anticipated, she kissed him back. Michael wanted her and the worst thing that could come out of this was rejection. He put his hands under her silk pyjama top and slowly ran his fingers on her tummy up to her breasts. She did not protest but continued kissing him. Michael took that as a green light and he started undressing her. She helped him remove her pyjama top and she took off his t shirt. Marisa did not know if Michael wanted her as much as she wanted him but she did not want to think of that. She let him undress her to complete nudity. He stared at her body with admiration and kissed her more. Michael took her under the sheets and he knew today he wanted to make love to her the right way then maybe he would forgive himself for the first time he did. He felt different. It was good and scary for him at the same time. He wanted to do this again and again but with her and that feeling alone scared him. Michael didn't want her this close to him but he kept telling himself that it was just for tonight and then he would go back to the couch and the way things were. He just needed tonight, just one night. Michael felt Marisa soft and warm hands on his bare back and her grip tightening as he made love to her.
   "Don't forget dinner will be up any moment from now" Marisa whispered.
"I won't" Michael said and covered her smile with a kiss. His mind was suddenly looking for a way to get back home earlier the next day. They heard a soft knock on the door.
   "It's Sofia, I brought dinner" a voice said following the knock.
"Thank you, Sofia. Leave it there, I'll be out in a minute" Michael called out. They heard Sofia's footsteps walking away from the door. Marisa slipped out of bed and got dressed. She opened the door and took the dinner tray. Michael had put his clothes on when she brought the tray to the bed.
   "I have a strong dislike for steak lately" Marisa commented.
"Take the salad instead" Michael told her as he picked up his fork.
  "Sure, it's much better" Marisa said forking her steak onto Michael's plate.
  They are in silence for a couple of minutes. Michael watched Marisa select the peas from her plate to the extra empty bowl.
"How does it work?" Michael asked her.
  "How does what work?"she stopped struggling with a chunk of pork.
"How do you choose what to eat and what not to?"
  "I don't. I just feel like throwing up when I smell or eat a certain type of food then I know that I don't like the food" Marisa told him. She had to see the doctor for an ultra sound scan. Michael hadn't mentioned it and she wondered if she should remind him or not.
  "We should see a doctor, it's been long" Michael said to Marisa's relief.
"I didn't know how to tell you that" she told him as she took the tray from the bed.
  "Why?"
"You can be scary, you know" Marisa told him as she walked to the bathroom.
  "I am not scary" Michael called out. Silence swept the room when Marisa left for the bathroom. He heard the shower run, Marisa was taking a shower. Michael wondered how she'd react if he walked in and shower with her. He knew she was growing fond of him but he did not know if it was because she was pregnant. Marisa was beautiful inside out and Michael knew that. It made him scared imagining that she could be his world. Olivia had been his world. He had worshipped the ground that she walked on and when it ended it had almost destroyed him. Michael did not want to go back there, he did not.
  He yanked a blanket from the cupboard and went to the couch. He couldn't sleep there, he didn't want to. Michael raked his hair with his hand in frustration. What was he doing? He threw the blanket on the bed and sank in into it. He decided that he'd shower after Marisa. Michael didn't want too much to happen in one night.

Marisa  sat up on the hospital bed. She  looked at the ultrasound picture in her hand. It blurred with tears that had filled her eyes. She was having a child of her own.  Michael had missed the appointment. He was supposed to come from work and meet up with her for the ultrasound appointment but he had not shown. It had been disappointing to Marisa but she decided to embrace the thrill she had got from the ultrasound picture.
   Marisa walked out of the hospital as she put on her coat. The car waited for her just outside the car port. She got in and did not notice the black sedan that parked across the road suspiciously.

"What now?" A woman took off her sunglasses and relaxed in the passenger sit. She did not get a reply and she raised her voice," Ned what now?!"
  "Shut up, Olivia. I'm trying to think!" Ned said punching the steering wheel.
"Well, you need to think fast. When you called me weeks ago I thought you had this planned out already" Olivia said.
   "I know what I will do. Rose told me there is a business dinner in a weeks time so we will have decided on what to do" he said and drove off. He could not stand Olivia whining beside him. If his plan to get Marisa back needed her to work then hed try to stand her for how long it was going to last.
  Ned wanted to do something better than Michael for once. He wanted the woman he had and the fame he had. If it was true that Marisa was carrying his child, he wanted the kid to call him daddy.