Chapter 39

Marisa stayed composed. She had known there was more to Olivia than she had let on when she saw her back at the jewellery store. She had bought a watch for her supposed fiance. 

"I remember you. Did your fiance like the watch?" Marisa asked. Olivia's heart pondered. Michael stared at Olivia waiting for her to answer.

  "Oh, he did, thank you", Olivia said forcing a smile. Mauricio called for Michael and he had to go and meet up with a few project organizers. He regretted leaving Marisa with Olivia because he did not know what she was going to tell her. 

  "So, are you feeling like the luckiest woman here tonight?" Olivia asked.

      "I feel lucky but I wouldn't feel like the luckiest. I mean everyone has something to feel lucky about here tonight" Marisa replied Olivia. She tried not to feel insecure in her presence but she could not help it.

" But not all the women here get to be Michael Howard's wife" Olivia said.

   "I am sure they all adore their husbands like I adore mine" Marisa meant it. 

"Are you not scared that someone will walk in and take him away from you?"

   "Should I be scared?"

"I was scared and I think you should be too. He is a great man, handsome powerful and rich. Who would not want such a man in her bed? Tell you what, no one compares to him" Olivia said. She could see Marisa was not losing it quickly.

   "So what happened with you two?" Marisa could clearly see that this woman was trying to intimidate her.

''I cheated. He was helplessly in love with me and I broke his heart" Olivia said with pure honesty. Marisa hid her shock. Michael Connor Howard had been cheated on? He is every girl's dream and who would afford losing him? Certainly this woman! Marisa thought.

  "Oh, but I am sure that you found someone you love" Marisa said. she reached for the grapes on the buffet and put them in a small plate.

"I loved Michael, I did not cheat because I did not love him. He was a workaholic and I could not stand to be alone" Olivia said.

  "I see, that was a long time ago I guess" Marisa said. She worked on her grapes.

"Oh, but those things are difficult to forget. Michael is unforgettable and I am sure that you agree with me. If I am being honest, I hate that you have my man right now," Olivia finally cut the chase. Marisa knew she was challenging her.

   "If I am being honest, I hate how uncomfortable you are making me feel" Marisa said slowly. She saw Michael with the corner of her  eye. He was uneasily staring back at them. He looked as if he was worried about might come out of Olivia's mouth even if he was not there to hear it. Marisa also wondered if he were the one who had invited her here. 

"I don't think I said anything wrong here Maria.."

    "Marisa" She corrected Olivia.

"Connor and I are still very much in love, Marisa. You and I know he married you because you are carrying his child. He is not happy stuck with you, does he even make love to you?" Olivia asked.
   "I agree when you speak for yourself, the rest is for Michael to clarify. I think I will get more grapes, this baby is giving me cravings," Marisa said with a smile.

"You know he doesn't love you," Olivia said with a smirk. 

  "He hasn't given me any reason to believe so, dear," Marisa said. She knew that Olivia could be right and it hurt. She couldn't stand to be near her any longer.

"You are just carrying his child, that's all you..." Olivia couldn't finish because Marisa was already walking away. She fumed, that woman had a nerve.

Marisa went back to the table. She saw Michael walk back to Olivia after talking to Marisa. She felt as if he was making a choice. Olivia was right, maybe Michael had been going to meet her after work since they came to Italy. She felt a deep wave of realization sweep all over her. Michael did not appear as if he was arguing with her or anything, he looked smitten. Marisa focused on the band that was playing on the stage. She took out her phone, she needed to look Olivia up. One of the first pictures that came up of Olivia she was with Michael on the red carpet. Scrolling down, Marisa saw even more pictures of them together. She could see how in love Michael had been with her from the pictures. So she is a model! Marisa thought she scrolled further. She was so focused on her phone that she did not notice that her grapes were finished, she only realized it when she was about to reach out to take another one.  Marisa was even more surprised when she noticed that she had been on the internet looking up Olivia for an hour! The band had finished playing ages ago and there was Mauricio Alfino speaking on the stage. Michael and Olivia were nowhere in sight. Marisa knew she did not have to stay there and protect Michael's image when he barely was doing the part himself . She stood up and walked out of the hotel without remorse. She got to the car and called the driver. He was there in five minutes.

"Is Mr. Howard coming?' The driver asked her as she got into the car.

     "Not yet, Mauro. You will come back and wait for him here", Marisa said to him. Mauro immediately drove Marisa to the ranch. She walked calmly to their bedroom. She sank in the bed and covered her face with a pillow before letting out a bitter cry.

Michael had finished talking to Maurico and was curious to know what Olivia had told Marisa so he had gone to ask her. 

"What I told her the truth that you can't tell her. You are just with her because she is carrying your child", Olivia said. 

    "Why would you tell my wife that?" Michael hated the fact that Marisa had to be insulted like that but he also questioned Olivia's confidence in hat she had said. He knew that no matter how much she had hurt him, he still had unfinished business with her. He also knew he cared about what happened to Marisa.

"Because she doesn't not know that, that girl is in love with you" Olivia said without remorse her voice a little louder.

    "Keep your voice down" Michael said as he clutched her hand and pulled her out of the ballroom to a private area.

"Mike, I still want you. I clearly told Maria.."

   "Her name is Marisa", Michael corrected.

"I did wrong by you. I have not been able to keep you out of my head all these years. I am sorry I lost you and I regret losing you. I want to be in that woman's position right now. I know that you have never really stopped loving me, either" Olivia said. She was desperate to get him back. She knew Marisa was beautiful and Michael could easily fell for her and her worst fear was that she may have lost. Michael stared at her without saying a word. He couldn't help but agree to himself that seeing her made him feel some kind of happiness. He had loved this woman. He had hurt her but he knew she had been his weakness. Michael did not even trust himself enough to speak.

     "I have checked in here, can we go to my room? Just to talk, Michael" Olivia knew he couldn't talk Michael into believing she still was in love with him. He followed her casually to her room. Michael saw the look on her face when she shut the door that she had not brought him there to talk. She walked over to him and kissed him. Michael had experienced nights he had longed to kiss Olivia again and now there she was kissing him. he kissed her back, his hands on her hips as he led her to the bed. Olivia kissed Michael aggressively as she pulled Michael to her. Michael's mind was rushing he thought he felt like nothing else mattered except this but he was distracted. He felt nothing, he needed something more. Marisa Muniz. H e held Olivia's cheeks and gently pulled her away.

  "Stop," Michael said getting away from the bed. Olivia tried to pull him back but he stood up instead pulling away. He looked at his watch, he had been away from Marisa for an hour! 

    "Michael.."

"You are my past and you had your chance. I do not hate you anymore, I understand why you did what you did and I am sorry I did not do enough. I no longer want you and I will be lying to you if I say I do. Have a nice life, Olivia", Michael said rushing out of the room. 

He could not find Marisa when he got to the ballroom. He tried her phone but it was going straight to voice mail. He called Mauro in a state of panic.

"She asked me to take her home", Mauro said. Michael knew from what Mauro had said, that he had messed up. Big time.