Chapter 31

Michael was gone when Marisa woke up. She felt like crying when she realized he was not there. It was crazy she thought that he'd change the way he was with her after last night. Marisa remembered how he had told her that after the deal is done and the baby is here he'd let her go. She didn't want that to happen anymore. Marisa wanted Michael to think that they could possibly be together some day. She was in love with him and she knew she was out of her mind for doing so but she couldn't help it. Michael could be so soft and charming and that was the Michael she wanted. She kept replaying the scene from the plane. What if she hadn't turned him down? She would have felt what it really felt to be with him when he actually wanted her.
Marisa went and took a shower. She changed into a neat floral dress and let down her hair. She went down for breakfast. Luca had left the kitchen when she went down so she felt relieved. Salma came soon after she was done with breakfast.
"You look good, Marisa" Salma said as they drove to town.
"Thank you. You have a nice town here" Marisa said gazing out the window. She saw elegantly dressed women strolling in the streets and painters bringing the scenery to life. She could smell some fresh air as the car sped into town.
The jewellery shop was large and exquisite. Marisa had never been in a jewellery shop before. She tried to cover the fact that this was actually a new experience for her. She saw diamond watches and rings she'd only seen in magazines. Then it hit her! She had no wedding ring. The Alfinos may have probably noticed but had said nothing about it.
  "This is Lorena, she is my assistant" Salma's voice broke into her thoughts. Marisa was looking at a young woman with a neat brunette blond.
"Good to meet you" Marisa said to her. She felt inferior to all the women that were in the shop. She was only playing a role and she was not whom she was portraying.
  "Good to meet you too" Lorena replied.
Salma showed Marisa around and how they ran the store.
" I'm just worried about the competition" Salma said casually pointing at the shop across the street.
   "How bad is it? Marisa asked her.
"Well sales decreased by 3% in the last three months, it's bad" Salma said.
   "So it is really bad. What do they do differently?"
"They are supper aggressive with their marketing" Salma said rolling her eyes.
   "That's the important thing, you should respond to that. Let everyone know what you offer" Marisa said. She saw Salma lighten up.
"It's going to be a great month" Salma said smiling at Marisa.
   Marisa spent the rest of the day helping out at the store. She kept herself busy to avoid thinking about Michael. She was wondering if he was going to sleep in the same bed with her or not.
Salma dropped Marisa off at the ranch around 7pm and she drove off to her house soon after. Marisa went inside hoping not to bump into Luca.
  "Good evening ma'am" she had Luca's voice as she sped up the staircase and she stopped.
"Good evening Luca. How are you?"
   " Disappointed, there was too much work to do but seems as if the staff had gone for unauthorised day off" he said ascending the stairs to her. Marisa went to more steps up backwards.
"That's bad. I..I have to go up and see if my husband is back" She said going up to her bedroom. She did not want to be seen with Luca considering Michael was sitting on the bed when Marisa walked in.
  "How was work?" He asked her with a smile. He had missed her. He had spent the day at the hotel site and he was tired.
"I hope she doesn't come and get me tomorrow. How was work?" She said kicking off her shoes. She walked to the bed and threw herself on it.
   "Tiresome but it was fine" Michael said.
"I better go and take a shower. Michael we're always forgetting the rings" Marisa said getting off the bed and walking to the bathroom.
  "Rings?"
"Yes, the wedding rings" She called out from the bathroom.
  "Did she ask?"
"No but maybe they have noticed. I spent the rest of the day with my left hand in my pocket" Marisa called out.
  "You couldn't have. You know that it's weird right?" Micheal asked her.
"It's not, you think it is?"
    "Of course it is. I'll fix the problem tomorrow" Michael said.
Marisa walked out of the bathroom minutes later.
"Can I change?" Marisa asked Michael who was on a book. He looked up and went back to his book.
   "Sure, change" He said.
"But you are right there"She complained.
  "I've seen you naked before, just change" Michael told her. Marisa watched him look backbto his book. She took off her robe and and put on her nightwear. She remembered that they were yet to have dinner.
"What time is dinner today?"
   "Half past seven, I told them that we prefer they bring it up here always, unless we are having dinner with the Alfinos" Michael told Marisa.
"That's good. You want to avoid Luca?" Marisa asked him. She went to the bed and sat next to him.
  "Why would I avoid him?" Michael asked. He wanted to avoid Luca at all cost. The man challenged him all the time and he did not like him.
"I don't know, men stuff" Marisa said picking up the book Michael had set aside.
  "Men stuff?" Michael asked her.
"You feel threatened and possibly jealous" Marisa said flipping through the book.
   "Jealous? Jealous of what?" Michael took the book from her and signaled her to answer.
"I don't know maybe the way he talks to me" Marisa said.
  "I am not jealous. I just don't like how he talks to you" Michael admitted.
"So it bothers you, that another man could be after me?"
   "What? No. I just feel disrespected that he wants to hit on my wife" Michael answered her.
"But you always remind me it's just for show".
   "Not to them it's not" Michael answered her.
"You shouldn't worry too much, his actions are harmless" Marisa told him.
  "And if he touches you?" Michael asked her.
"He won't, if he does..."
    "If he does...?"
"If I am in agreement then there will be nothing wrong. I mean it'll be like a wife having a secret love affair" Marisa said. Michael stared at her. He did not say anything for a while. Michael knew if he had said something he'd expose himself.
  "The devil you know is always better than the devil you don't know, blue eyes" Michael told her.
"The devil I know has never been good to me" Marisa said looking directly at him.
  "I have!"
" Not that I remember, only if it is in your best interest" Marisa told him.
  "I have some good things to.say about you" Michael said.
"Say something good about me" Marisa challenged him.
  "You are kind".
"That was too fast try something else".
  "I like it when you let your down like that. You look more beautiful like that" Michael told her. She flashed crimson in her cheeks.
"I'll do it more often if you like it" Marisa's heart was thumbing in her chest now.
  "Can I touch it, your hair?" Michael asked her. She hesitated then nodded in approval. Michael reached for a lock of her hair and gave it a smooth squeeze. His intention was not to touch her hair but he wanted to close the gap between them. He stared at Marisa and when their eyes met, he knew she was not going to resist what was about to happen.