Chapter 38

Marisa was asleep when Michael arrived from the coffee shop. He made no attempt to wake her up. She had something to tell him, he was not curious. Or he was afraid of what she had to say. Michael slid into bed and tried to catch some dreams, tomorrow was going to be long day.

Marisa hated the fact that she had to be ferried to the venue by the driver without Michael. She had to meet him there and it stung. She fell asleep during the forty-five minute drive to the venue. The driver's voice woke her up.
"We are here, Mrs. Howard" he said opening the door for her. She nodded with a smile and stepped out of the limousine. Marisa was surprised that she actually felt comfortable in her high heels. She was wearing a red, body hugging off-shoulder long mermaid dinner dress. Michael had sent it to her in the afternoon. She loved the dress but she was sacred that she may be underdressed. She stood in front of the most beautiful entrance she had seen in her life. She saw Michael standing with Mauricio Alfino. He turned and smiled when he saw her. Marisa approached them and shook Mauricio's hand. She have Michael a light kiss on the cheek.
"Wonderful evening, Mr. Alfino" she said.
"Wonderful indeed Mrs. Howard, how have you been?" He asked pleasantly.
"Oh I have been well, how's Mrs. Alfino?" Marisa asked. She felt Michael's hand in her palm.
"She has been well, great job at the jewellery store" Mauricio commented.
"Thank you" Marisa said. They went inside the venue hall. Mauricio went and joined Salma at their table. Marisa noticed that there were over fifteen reserved tables in the exquisitely decorated all. The tables were for four people and decorated with silver and black. Michael led her to their table and she noticed that the couple that was supposed to join them had not come yet. They took their seats.
"Your tux..."
"Me first, you look beautiful. That dress looks great on you, I knew it would. I wouldn't have wanted anyone else here on this table with me, I owe this to you" Michael said to Marisa. He was proud to have her there. She looked beautiful and he knew that no other woman there compared to her.
"Thank you. You also look handsome in that tuxedo" Marisa said. She was praying that tonight was the night that she would get her answer.
"The couple we're sharing the table with, they are not coming" Michael said with a smile.
"So is that good news?"
"Yes, the Howards have the table to themselves" Michael said with a soft laugh. He saw Marisa return a smile. She looked worried. Michael scanned the the room, most tables had been occupied now. He saw a glimpse of curly blonde hair amongst the people whom where standing by the buffet. The height was just right, the back view and the...Oh Lord that's Olivia!
Michael freaked out when the woman she had been staring at turned to talk to the woman next to her.
"Michael, are you okay?" Marisa asked.
"Yes, I thought I recognized someone" he replied trying to focus. He downed a glass of wine in the table nervously. He was failing to keep calm. I had been almost six years since he had last seen her in person. He had avoided watching television and reading magazines to avoid her face. Michael had not wanted to see her face again or he had been scared that he still had unfinished business with her.
"Michael what's going on?" Marisa asked him again.
"Nothing is wrong, Muniz. Oh, I think the project Coordinator is going to deliver his speech now. That's him" Michael said trying to distract Marisa.
  "Oh, okay" Marisa said. She didn't want to pressure Michael but she knew something was wrong.
Marisa was not concentrating during the speech. She tried sipping her water but she kept fidgeting. Michael was constantly running his eyes around the hall.
  "I will go to the buffet, can I get you something?" He asked Marisa. He wanted to go and talk to Olivia. He knew she had seen him and it he also knew that she wanted him to approach her.
"Anything edible, thanks "she replied. Marisa didn't want him to leave her alone at the table but she didn't want to appear clingy so she let him go.

Michael realized that he was nervous when he approached the table. He also felt stupid for being the one to try to speak to her first but he couldn't keep away. She was forking a piece of steak from the chuffing dish onto her plate.
  "Michael Howard," Olivia said without turning to look at him.
"Seems you'd been waiting for me to come over here" Michael said to her.
    "I wouldn't want to disturb your date's peace. You like Latinos now?" Olivia said. She turned to him and smiled. Michael tried not to return the smile. She was still the same, seductive and beautiful.
"She is not a competitive woman" Michael said honestly. He looked back at Marisa, she was listening to the speaker on the stage.
  "Are you in love with her?" Olivia asked Michael.
"I don't see how that is any of your business" he replied.
  "Of course it's not. What is my business is how you walked up here to talk to me. Tell me Connor, do you really think that I buy that I- no-longer-care attitude you're giving me?" Olivia said.
"Why are you here?" He asked.
  "I am here to see you" She said bluntly.
"Well, here I am. Why do you really want to see me?"
   "I miss you" Olivia said to him. She saw his uneasiness, he was concerned Marisa would be alone too long to notice what was going on.  

"Why are you really here?" Michael realized he really was desperate to know why Olivia had decided to show up after that long. He checked Marisa again and he noticed she was talking to one of the prominent bachelors he knew from the building project. A pang of jealousy hit Michael. He tried to concentrate on Olivia.

"I want you back" Olivia said to him. She saw his expression, he still had a soft spot for her. 

"You left me, you cheated a week before our wedding and walked off. Tell me, what makes you think that I can take you back? I have a wife and..."

"Do you love her? I don't think so...I mean you left her sitting by herself to come here" Olivia glanced at Marisa, "Oh I think she is occupied now".

"Why did you do it? You humiliated me" Michael knew he was being weak but he needed to know. He saw Olivia's eyes watering. He was not sure if it was an act or not.

"Michael you were never there. I was all alone most of the time. I knew that if I had moved in with you that house would be too silent for me to stay there all alone. I needed someone and you were never around and I was sacred you were with someone else" Olivia said wiping a a tear from her face, careful not to smudge her make up. She wanted to say something else when a roar of applause filled the ballroom. The speaker had finished his speech and waiters were marching into the room with chafing dishes to add on to the buffet. An Italian band went up the stage and started playing soft music. Olivia and Michael were staring at each other in silence. 

"Mrs. Howard has been sitting on her own for too long. I see her making her way here" Olivia said getting another glass of wine from the passing waiter. 

    "Marisa, I did not take long did I?" Michael said as soon as Marisa was beside him. She did not look annoyed, if she was; then she was hiding it so well. " I was just catching up with an..."

"I believe we have met before" Marisa said. She had recognized Olivia and she knew she was the woman she at seen at Salma's Store.

  " Yes we have but not properly introduced. I am Olivia and I am Michael's ex fiance'