Chapter 5

"Are you going to do it Michael?" Flora asked him. He stared at her for a moment. He didn't want to hire Muniz, it would be a sign of defeat. He had vowed that no woman would ever step on him ever again.
  " Okay fine. She is hired. I'll give her the job description and salary outline tomorrow. Give her a room, eastern wing. Happy now", Michael forced the words out. Flora smiled and nodded. She left and went to deliver the good news to Marisa.
  " You hired!" She said to Marisa
" I got my job back?"
   " Well, no. You'll be the new housekeeper here. I'll be resigning this week, I'm old you see.". Marisa's expression dropped. Working here as a housekeeper meant seeing Howard everyday. She didn't want that. He was the devil himself! She was desperate though, she needed this.
" Thank you Flora, thank you" she meant it.
  " You're welcome, I'm glad. Come on darling I'm I'll show you to your room.
They walked past a first Hall way and went another. Marisa's watched in awe. Priceless paintings hung on the walls of the hallway. They made their way up the stairs. Flora opened the door to the most beautiful room Marisa had ever seen. It was larger than her previous two bedroom apartment. The bed, the closets and everything was perfect.
" Here make yourself at home", Flora said to Marisa. I'll make you dinner. You start your duties tomorrow. She left Marisa in the room. Marisa moved around the room exploring it. The bathroom was inviting. She took her clothes off and stepped into the warm shower. She had last had a warm shower a long time ago, close to a year.
After the shower she was too tired for dinner so she went to sleep. Tomorrow will be another day in her new life.

Marisa spent the following day learning housekeeping basics from Flora. She realized her job wasn't so hard. There were no maids because no one but Michael was ever at the house. He barely had visitors, apart from his best friend. Marisa felt she was getting overpaid for dusting clean cabinets and making dinner. She didn't say anything though, who would?
   The next week, Flora was gone. Her relatives took her home. Marisa spent most of the days alone in the large mansion. She'd make dinner around the time Michael got home. He'd have dinner in his study. He was a workaholic, Marisa had gathered. He had been quite affected by Flora's departure but he pulled through anyways. Marisa realized Flora had been battling Alzheimer's, poor woman. She had given her a great gift after all.
  On Saturday there was a business dinner at the mansion. Most of  Michael's partners were there. Michael had hired part-time maids to assist with the cooking and cleaning. Marisa was sitting in the kitchen having tea when a blonde tall man walked in.
  " Hello," he said to her. He was handsome, Marisa noticed.
" Hello, sir" she replied not wishing for the conversation to last any longer.
   "My name is Ned, Ned Evans. What's yours, Carolina...?" He laughed at his own guess.
" You look Latino", Ned added.
Marisa saw he was being flirty. She kept quiet for a moment and said, " I am Latino. Marisa Muniz". She took a sip from her tea cup.
  "Hmm that's beautiful. So what do you do? Finance stuff?" Ned asked leaning on the counter. Marisa looked down. She was wearing an evening gown. He had probably thought she was one of the guests.
  " No I'm the housekeeper here." She said confidently.
" Oh.. you're Flora's replacement. Where did Mike get you?" He asked her. Marisa felt offended. She knew he was the best friend Flora had mentioned. The "Casanova doctor". Flora had said he was a regular visitor, more like the only visitor.
   " Where housekeepers come from", she coldly replied. Ned knew he had said something wrong.
" I'm sorry. You just look so stunning to be a housekeeper, Maria..."
  " Marisa" She corrected him. He flushed with shame. Ned dragged one of the stools and sat next to Marisa.
" Classy people out there, can't get all the business and numbers stuff. I'll keep a beautiful Latino housekeeper company" Ned said with a smile. Marisa smiled back to create a friendly atmosphere. Ned started telling her stories about his past, how he became a doctor and how he met Michael. Marisa found him funny. She wondered how he'd be friends with Michael. Michael was a boring, selfish beast.
  When the guests were leaving, Marisa told Ned she had to clean up. He thanked her for the night and walked to the kitchen door to leave. He looked back and said, " Are you free next Saturday?" Marisa knew he was asking her out. She didn't know if it would get her in trouble or not but she needed to loosen up a bit.
" Yes I am" she said. Ned smiled at her.
  " I want to take you out for dinner if you want" he said. Marisa hesitated but she was already decided.
  " Sure, that'll be nice", she said to him. Ned gave her a wink and left.
The remaining of the guests were leaving and Michael was talking to Ned outside.
" That was a good dinner, man. It was a success", Ned said patting his friend's shoulder.
  "Thanks. I want to lure as many investors as possible for this project" Michael said slipping his hands in his pockets.
"Talked to your housekeeper...I will be back for her" Ned said with a smile. Michael was annoyed instantly.
  "Same old ways, huh?" Michael said.
"Coleen left me for a Spanish underwear model, a man can't grieve for too long", Ned said.
  " You never grieve" Michael remarked. Ned winked and got into his car.
   " Thanks to your dinner, I got a new fish for my sushi", he drove off. Michael went inside. He didn't like at all the idea of Ned hitting on his housekeeper...he told himself it was nothing personal.