Chapter 28

Michael woke up feeling excited. He couldn't believe that all he had ever wanted was so close he could feel it. Marisa was still asleep when he woke up. The couch had been comfortable but he had never slept on a couch before last night so he had been tempted to sleep on the bed. He wanted to show Marisa that he wasn't dying to be with her. She hadn't said anything when he'd decided to sleep on the couch but he definitely knew she had felt unwanted.
  Michael took a shower and changed into a handsomely fitting suit. He was scheduled to meet with Mauricio and other stakeholders at 8 am. He saw Marisa slowly waking up. She jumped out of bed dashing straight to the bathroom. Michael ignored her. He only realized she was not okay when he heard she was throwing up. He took off his jacket and went to the bathroom. Michael didn't know what to do to help her.
  "How can I help?" He asked her.
"Please hold my hair backwards so it won't get in the way" she said said as she struggled to throw up. Michael did as she told him. He didn't like want to be in the same room with someone throwing up but he stayed to help her.
  "Thank you. I think I'm done" Marisa said. Michael let her hair go and he watched her struggle to her feet.
"Are you okay?"
   "I think so. I just feel fatigued and I have a mild tummy ache" Marisa replied him. She brushed her teeth and washed her face. Michael took his car keys and put them into his pocket.
"I'm going out for business. I think I'll skip breakfast" Michael said to Marisa.
   "Good luck" Marisa said. She watched him leave the room. Marisa decided to take a shower before going for breakfast.

Luca was in the kitchen when Marisa walked in. He offered her a cup of coffee and some pancakes.
  "Your husband works hard, I see" Luca said sipping his coffee. He was trying to make a conversation. Luca Alfino was twenty six years old and extremely intelligent for his occupation. He had finished college and immediately decided to stay at the ranch and take care of horses on his parents' ranch. He was outgoing and good to be around. Luca was also charming and friendly and he had found Marisa attractive but he was willing to try to respect she was a married woman.
"He does work hard. I adore his determination" Marisa replied as she stuffed a pancake in her mouth. She was nervous and she knew she ahd to be nice. The man was just making her uncomfortable.
   "You like horses? I keep horses here" Luca asked her. He could tell by the expression on her face that she was not really into horses.
"That's great. I think horses are....interesting" Marisa said. She stood up and put her plate in the sink.
  "I can show you around the ranch today if you're interested" Luca offered.
" I am jet lagged, we can do it tomorrow" Marisa said. She took an apple and politely told him that she was going to rest.
Luca stayed in the kitchen as he finished his breakfast. He was just trying to be a good host for the guest. At least that is what he told himself.

*                        *                              *
Michael came back from work at six in the evening. He took a shower and got ready for dinner. Mauricio and his wife were coming over to the ranch house for dinner. Michael's first day on the project had been one of his best days ever. He couldn't believe that he was actually doing what his father and failed to do. Michael also understood that Mauricio had been right to turn him down when he had first asked to take over from his father. He had been irresponsible and young and his time was being invested in things he wouldn't have wanted now if he had gotten them back then. Michael also knew that he owed part of his success to Marisa. He went to the bed and shook Marisa awake.
   "Wake up and get ready for dinner" He told her. She had been asleep when he had arrived from work. Marisa sat up on the bed and put her arms around him. She had missed him. It had been difficult for her to spend the rest of the day alone in a new environment with new people. The maids had been friendly but I wasn't enough for her to feel comfortable.
"I don't like it here" Marisa whispered as she hugged him. Michael patted her softly on the back. He knew that with him gone all day, she was going to feel lonely.
   "It's just your first day here. This is Florence, Marisa and it's a beautiful place" Michael said to her.
"So we have to be here for four weeks?" Marisa asked. Michael took long to answer and she broke the hug and stared at him.
"Maybe five or six" Michael said. She saw tiny folds on her forehead when he said that. He laughed.
   "What?" She asked laughing as well.
"You should see your face like that" he said. He wanted to get her mind off the possible additional weeks they'd have to stay there.
  "With the way you laughed, I don't want to see how it looks" Marisa said getting out of bed.
" We only have fifteen minutes until dinner so make it quick" Michael told Marisa. He watched her disappear to the the bathroom. He heard a knock on the door and went to check who it was. It was Luca Alfino. He stretched his hand to greet him and Michael returned the favour.
  " Good evening" Luca said.
" Good evening" Michael replied. He chose not to say anything more because he was not interested in being friends.
   "Dinner is almost served. They're are here" Luca told him. He noticed the other man was not in the mood for a chit chat.
"Thank you. My wife is just finishing up and we'll be down as soon as she's done" he informed him.
   "That's okay. Oh...may you please give this to your wife. I think she must've forgotten it" Luca said handing Marisa's head band to Michael. He walked off.
Michael felt his chest burn with jealousy and he hated feeling like that.
"Are we late?" Marisa asked as she appeared from bathroom.
   "Your friend says you forgot this" Michael said putting the head band on the bed. Marisa's heart beat fast when she saw Michael putting her head band on the bed. She wondered what Luca had told Michael. Marisa immediately regretted ever coming back to the kitchen when she had told Luca she wanted to rest. She realized Michael was waiting for an explanation...