Chapter 1

Marisa decided she had had enough for the day. She was going to be late for work at Crissy's. She had to work herself out everyday to make a life for her and her grandmother. Taking on two jobs was not the worst that could happen to her.
She had been working at Howard Telcom for three months now, as a janitor. It did hurt because she had been interviewed for a secretary post but the HR Manager had told her that Mr Howard had insisted he did not wish to get a secretary yet. Marisa had been so desperate then that she had grabbed whatever was on the offer. The job paid well, $800 per month wasn't bad plus a couple of bucks from Crissy's every week she was managing. Her grandmother needed a heart surgery and she had to get the money in a month.
Marisa took a final walk around the top floor inspecting the restrooms and passages. She avoided the top floor because Michael Howard's office was up there. She really hadn't seen him in person neither did she know what he looked like but she had heard enough from the grapevine to keep away. She picked up speed as she walked past his office. Marisa's hand bag hit the long delicate pink glass vase and that was just outside Michael's office. The large vase lost it's balance and broke into infinite pieces. Marisa froze for a moment. What had she done.
" Oh God! No! What have I done?" She whispered with distress. She couldn't walk in there and tell him. Had he had the glass break?
Marisa told you Tom, the HR Manager. Who also did not have the guts to deliver the news to Michael.
"You should have gone home, you were dismissed!" Tom said walking away.
" So what do I do now" Marisa called after Tom.
"Well, tell him yourself my wife is making a casserole for dinner tonight can't miss that", he replied disappearing into the elevator.
Marisa walked to Michael's office and knocked for what seemed like an hour. She later heard a voice instructing her to get in. She walked in and stood a distance from his desk. He had her back at her as he devoured the view from the window. He did not turn to look at her and neither did he reply her greeting.
Marisa thought she could just get on with it and say it.
"Sir, I broke your vase....I am the janitor and I was..was dusting the...the walls when I.."
" What are your saying, stop wasting my time!" He cut her short without even attempting to look at her.
" I broke the pink glass vase" she blurted out. This time Michael turned to look at her. He was fuming with rage. Marisa stared at him, she had expected an older man in his fifties, just any other man. This man was handsome, his jet black hair had a shinning effect and face shaved to perfection. He had a perfect jawline and mouth.
Marisa dragged her thoughts to reality. The man in front of her was saying something. She had bits and pieces of his statements, she was distracted.
".....employing stupid people like you. Do you know where it was from?"she heard him fume.
"I'm sorry.."
" How can you be so careless?"he demanded.
" It was a mistake I will replace it", Marisa said.
"A stupid mistake. You won't replace it, people like you will never afford it" he said sliding his balled fists into his pockets. He saw the pain in her blue eyes, he didn't care.
" I am so sorry."
" Just close your mouth and save me some time!" He said. She was pathetic.
" No!"Marisa heard herself say. Michael was quite stunned. Was she trying to talk back at him?
No woman had done that to him in five years, since Olivia.
" What did you just say to me?" He asked with an intimidating tone.
" I said no, I will not shut up. I am trying to explain myself and you keep insulting me. I said I am sorry!" She said running her hand in her hair. There was an uncomfortable silence. Michael slowly walked towards her. He stood so close her. Too close.
"Listen blue eyes, my name is Michael Howard and I am the owner of the vase you broke and the company you work at. No one talks to me like that that, nobody"he said his eyes bloodshot. Marisa turned to walked away but he clutched her arm and pulled her back to him.
" No one walks out on me either" he added. She looked at him. No man had ever belittled her the way he had. He had slowed her down a bit.
" Let go" she told him. He did and she left the office like a bolt of lightning.

*. *. *. *. *. *.

Marisa arrived at Crissy's. The bar was quite busy tonight. She had came straight from work because she was late. She took her apron and started cleaning the countertops. The floors were dirtier than usual. Broken glasses and beer were all over and blood! Marisa wondered what could have happened. She went and asked Lisa, her co worker.
" Oh girl you missed a fight, some random guy fought with Leslie. You know, table feud Leslie 'owns' the corner table".
" Did anyone get hurt? I mean the blood on the floor..."
" The other guy got hurt pretty bad, they threw him out".
Marisa said nothing more. She went back to her cleaning. She went to the back alley to dispose the broken glass pieces. The darkness scared her. As she tip toed to the bin she saw a man laying face down on the ground. Marisa rushed to the bin and threw away the broken glass. She rushed past the he laying man and walked back to the bar.
Marisa what are doing? Go back and check. Her mind kept telling her to go back. She did.
Marisa want to the man and checked if he had a pulse, he was alive. She turned him to see his face....... Michael. The man was Michael Howard....