Chapter 12

Marisa stiffened when she heard her name. She didn't look up.
" Marisa, you need a ride home?" This time Marisa looked up to confirm what she had heard. The voice was not Michael's. It was Ned Evans', Michael's best friend. Marisa felt relieved and disappointed at the same time. Ned flashed a smile at her and stood in front of her. She took a while to answer.
" Ned, hie. I was thinking I could take a taxi I'm not that far from home" she quoted with her fingers when she said the word 'home'.
"I can take you. What were you doing in town late? Were you off today?" Ned asked her. Marisa realized that he didn't know she had been fired at Michael's. She knew if she turned down the ride home she'd have to wait for another hour or so.
" Okay but I'm staying at a hotel so you can take me there" Marisa said. Ned wondered why she'd be at a hotel but he resolved with himself to ask her in the car, it was cold outside.
"I will take you there" Ned said. Marisa hesitated before getting into the car. She could pick up Michael's scent. It was his car, maybe Ned had borrowed it. She found herself going over the night she spent with Michael, she tried to brush it off it because it made her feel worse. Ned stole a glance at her and focused on the road once more. He was going to try again. Their date had not ended well because she'd turned him down. He was going to try to get her again. What scared him was that she was closer to Michael and he could get to her first.
" So why are you staying at a hotel?" Ned asked.
   "Well, I got fired" Marisa said. She did not want to talk about it, really. Ned felt a twinge of happiness. His chance to sweep of the blue eyed Latino had risen.
"Why?" He almost smiled.
" No reason, I guess he wanted his space" Marisa did not tell him the truth. He did not need to know much.
    "It was unfair to you, wasn't it?" Ned tried to hide his joy. Marisa was now far from Michael.
" It was unfair but it's alright", Marisa felt hurt all over again. The scent that hovered in the car made it worse, Michael. Ned attempted to make a conversation but the atmosphere in the car was tense. Marisa directed him to the hotel. She got out of the car and Ned did the same.
" Thank you, Ned" Marisa said . Ned slid his hands into the pockets of his white coat, a gesture that drove many women crazy.
   " You're welcome. So how long are you going to be staying at the hotel?"
" Till I get an apartment, I guess." Marisa wanted to go into the hotel already.
  " I see your uniform, your work at El' Juan restaurant now?" Ned asked.
" Yes, I only started recently" she replied him.
  "I could pick you up everyday from work, you know...I mean if you want", Ned tried his luck.
" Ummm in that car..?" She didn't want to be in that car again. It made her worse.
  " Well that's Mike's...it was just for today. I could pick you up in my car" Ned offered.
" Okay sure, same time every day" she said. She turned to walk away and Ned called her. She turned to him.
   " Goodnight, Marisa" he said with a smile. Marisa winked at him and walked into the hotel.
She had let Ned pick her up because she wanted to forget about what had happened with Michael. Ned seemed okay, she resolved that maybe he had been nervous on their date. She smiled as she walked into the hotel.

Two weeks later

Michael walked into his office in the morning. He had been busy the past two weeks that he hadn't noticed he needed to shave. His mansion seemed to have grown twice it's size since Marisa had left. He was then reminded that Flora was not there. Marisa had quickly replaced Flora that he did not notice the silence. He was seldom home then but it still wasn't that quiet. He did not want to entertain any thoughts about Muniz. She had left and that was what he wanted. She couldn't stay there with him. He had slept with her and he was done with her. He had been there before, the women would then fall in love with him and became bundles of emotions clinging to him. Muniz had handled it well. He knew it had hurt her because she didn't want a man like him by her side and she had regretted what she had done with him. He had thought that she was going to come back like what the women always did and she, just like Olivia hadn't come back. What had happened between Marisa and him meant nothing to him. That was what he always did so he didn't care. She had been his victim and didn't deserve it but it had happened.
   Michael was bored he didn't feel like working at all. He picked up his office phone and dialed his  secretary's office.
" Yes, Rose. Come to my office, now" he put the phone down and glanced at his watch, 17:30.
Rose walked in moments later. She was overdressed again but she looked good.
  " Yes, sir...you called me". Rose said. She had light make up today.
" Are you checking out for home?" Michael asked.
   " I was in my way out when you called. Do..you want anything? I could.." she asked. She always grew helpless in front of him and that made her job as his secretary difficult.
"Are you busy after this?" Michael knew she'd cancel even a medical appointment for an him.
   " No sir, I'm not" Rose liked where this was going.
"Have dinner with me tonight. Pick a restaurant" Michael said. A little fun wouldn't hurt. Rose couldn't believe her ears. She kept composed.
    " I know a place where we can have the perfect dinner" she smiled. Michael stood up and walked from his chair.
" After you, we are taking my car" he said. Leaving the office, Michael knew he was going to be spending the night with her.

Marisa had found an apartment and spent her off shift weekends making it a home. She had collected her stuff from her previous neighborhood and out it in her tiny apartment.
This evening she was checking out ealier. She would wait for Ned whilst she covered for someone else's shift. She was in the kitchen when she heard a controlled quarrel. Some waitresses were arguing. She approached them.
  " What wrong, ladies?" She had been quick to warm up with most workers there in the two weeks she had been there.
" I'm under pressure. I'm attending two tables and she has been wondering around the kitchen now they're three unattended tables Daisy won't like this", one of the ladies said.
  "I wasn't wondering around the kitchen..."
"Okay, I'll cover the other tables " Marisa said. She went and took care of it. She saw Ned's car through the glass walls of the restaurant. Marisa checked the time, 19:00. She was done with the shift she was covering, she wanted to go home now.
She was taking off her apron when Daisy came to her.
  "Marisa can you continue with the shift? Today's a busy day, you can leave in an hour."
" Well I ..."
   " Just two more orders then you check out, I know your boyfriend's already here," Daisy said with a wink. She had always seen Ned pick her up.
" He's just a friend". Marisa told her. Which was true.
   "Table thirteen then you go, please" Daisy said. She said after she'd heard a call for a waitress to cover table 13.
"Fine" Marisa said. She took her pen and short book and headed to the table. She halted at a distance. Michael Howard. He was there at the table with a woman she recognized from his company. 
Marisa quickly turned and went back to the kitchen.
  " Tell Miss Daisy I had an emergency!" She told the chef and stormed out. Ned was not in the car. Marisa saw him through the glasses of the restaurant. He must've went in to look for her. She saw who he was talking to.... Michael Howard!

Stay tuned for 13!🌺
  Lot's of love♥️