Chapter 27

Michael was thinking fast. He did not want to go through the same thing he had went through the morning after he had first had sex with Marisa. He had regretted ever touching her in the first place. He wanted her this time around and the first time it had been just to show her he could get what he wanted. He decided that he was going to make love to her. Michael put his hand on Marisa's back and pulled down her zipper.
"No, don't" Marisa said. She regretted saying that as soon as the words left her mouth.
"What are we doing here?" Michael asked her.
"Nothing, we are not do I anything. I think I'll sleep like you suggested" Marisa said getting up from his lap.
"Sure go ahead" Michael agreed bitterly. She was rejecting him. That had never happened to him ever. He wanted her and she was rejecting him. Michael didn't want to show her he was disappointed so stood up and fixed the covers for her to get in bed.
"Are we good?" Marisa asked him as she walked to get into bed. She was terribly regretting stopping him. He didn't appear moved by it and that made her worried.
"Yes we're good. Why wouldn't we be okay?" Michael asked her. Marisa got into bed.
"No reason" She replied. Michael removed his coat .
" I'm going to work" Michael said leaving the bedroom.
Marisa didn't know if she had done the right thing or not. She just wanted Michael to see that she was not as week as he thought she was.
Michael couldn't work after leaving the bedroom. He couldn't believe that Marisa had rejected her. Where could she have gotten the confidence to do that? What bothered him was that he had appeared desperate. Michael shut his laptop and went to his mini bar. He still had eleven more hours on that flight and he had to get some rest too. He would think of what to do with Marisa later.

Michael woke Marisa up when they were due to land. She had slept for almost eight hours and she was feeling a bit sick.
"Are you okay?" Michael asked her.
"I just feel nauseous that's all" She replied him.
"We are going to be landing in Rome in ten minutes time. The Alfino's ranch is in Florence,Tuscany. We are going to drive there after we land" Michael informed her.
"How long are we going to be staying here for?" Marisa asked him.
  " A month, that is if it goes well. We are going to be meeting up with the engineering team, construction team, stakeholders and other parties" Michael told her. He was still mad because he had been rejected but he played it cool because he wanted them to be in good books when they arrived at the ranch.
"I'm nervous" Marisa admitted.
    "Why?"
"This is all new to me. I've never been out of L.A my whole life and now that the Alfinos are going to be watching us closely I'm afraid I will mess up" Marisa said.
  "You won't mess up. We'll do it together so it'll be fine" Michael assured her. If she messed up she'd see the worst of him but he couldn't tell her that.
"I hope so" Marisa replied him. They fastened their seatbelts as they prepared for landing. Michael eyed Marisa grudgingly as he silently promised he wouldn't let her get away with humiliating him like that.
*                    *                   *       
On the drive to Florence Marisa was asleep in the car. Michael let her sleep because he knew she was not feeling okay.  They were going to be staying at the ranch whilst Mauricio and his wife stayed at there other house in Florence. Michael hadn't liked the arrangement because he knew he could rent a place for them to stay but he had to accept the gesture.
    They arrived at the ranch  around 8 pm. The Alfinos were waiting to welcome them when they got out of their car. They were taken inside the house. Michael admired the design of the ranch house both interior and exterior. It reminded him of his grandfather's house in Texas they'd go there with his father when he was five and Michael would help feed the horses and those were one of his fondest memories of his father.
  "We are glad to have you here Mr and Mrs Howard. The help is at your service. Greta and Angela will be help you with anything you will need" Salma said kindly.
"Thank you Mrs Alfino, we are glad to be here too. You have a beautiful house" Marisa said. Michael was impressed how she played the role so well.
   " I believe should go freshen up we had a long flight " Michael said.
"That's okay, we will see you tomorrow. You may get some rest" Mauricio told them. Michael and Marisa were heading to their bedroom when they heard a man with a strong Italian accent talking in the hallway.
   "Mr Howard and Mrs".
Marisa and Michael saw a tall man clad in faded jeans and brown leather boots. He appeared to be in his mid twenties and he looked handsome. Michael immediately felt threatened by his presence.
  "How do you do?" Michael managed to say.
" My apologies I wasn't here to welcome you. I'm Luca Alfino" the man said stretching out his hand to greet them. He shook hands with Michael and kissed Marisa on the cheek. It was just a greeting but Michael didn't like it.
  "That's okay.  It's nice to meet you" Michael said to him.
" My parents tell me you were already retiring to bed" Luca said with a smile. Michael could swear Luca had winked at Marisa. He realized that that he was being insecure. Why did he care if someone was making advances on Marisa?
   "We were and we will see you tomorrow" Michael said .
"That's alright, I'll see you tomorrow. You have  good night" Luca said. He slowly walked past them.
They went to their bedroom. It was a large bedroom with a king size bed and beautiful peach curtains. They took separate baths and when Marisa was ready for bed she slid into the large bed and lay awake. She was wondering how it would feel with Michael in the same bed as her. Would it be different from the first time they had shared a bed?
  " Are you comfortable?" Michael asked her. He was holding a blanket in his hands.
"Yes, I am. I don't think we should add another blanket" Marisa said to Michael. She saw him walk to the large counch and sink in there covering himself with a blanket.
  "I am going to be sleeping here, the blanket is for me".