Chapter 25

I drove Harry to work and decided to go back to his place, not wanting to be in public for too long in case I have a breakdown again. He insisted in me staying with him but finally gave up when he noticed I wasn't going to budge. He told me to go to his house to stay with Anne for the night or try to fix things with the family.

So that's where I'm going. I'm going to go try fix things at home because I have fuck else to do. 

I drive up besides Mark's car and climb out, stepping up the two steps to the porch and knock on the door. A few seconds go by until the door swings open a crack, revealing Mark's sunken face. 

He's got bags under his eyes and a rough stubble forming from where he hasn't shaved it for the past two days. His lips are pulled down and even as he tries to muster up a smile, it never fully forms and never reaches his eyes. 

I walk past him and into the house, neither of us saying a word when he allowed me inside. 

I walk quickly into the living room to find Lottie and Fizzy on the sofa, pillows closely pressed against their chests, chins resting on the tops of them. Phoebe and Daisy on matching pink bean bags on the floor, cuddling up to their favourite teddies, all of them with their eyes glued to the TV, watching The Little Mermaid.

Lottie sees me first, giving me a weak smile. "Hi Louis," she says at a whisper.

Fizzy turns her head and stands up, rushing straight over to me and wrapping her arms around my middle, pressing her head against my chest. I hug her back, stroking her back and kissing her hair.

"Hi." I walk further into the room, feeling the sadness and tension thick in the air. 

I poke Phoebe's arm and she flinches, looking up to me with a frown. She turns her attention back to the TV. 

"I'm sorry for shouting at you the other day," I mutter, crouching down so I'm eye level with her. 

"Shh." She puts her finger to her lips. 

"Bu-"

"Shh! Ursula is plotting."

I smile at that. 

"Ariel reminds me of mummy," Daisy blurts out looking at the screen. 

The mention of her name makes a stab to my heart, causing my breath to hitch and me to almost topple over. 

"Yeah... When is she coming home?" Phoebe asks, looking over to Lottie.

"Soon," Lottie decides and I look at her with a bigger frown. 

"What?" I ask, looking between Phoebe and Lottie. 

Lottie gives me a look as if to silent me. "She's coming home soon, right Louis?" She asks, trying to get me to play along. 

Which I certainly do not want to do. How can they lie to the twins like that? It'll break them when they won't come home.

"N-no." I shake my head and continue, "Pheebs, she isn't coming back love, she's gone." Just having this talk is so fragile that I feel like I'll break if I don't tred carefully. 

"No! Lottie said mummy will be coming home soon, she's coming home soon, that's what she said!" Phoebe shouts back, clearly distressed from mum not being around. 

"Phoebe, mum's dead."

She shakes her head vigorously. "No, Lottie said she's coming! She said it'll take a while but she'll be home. Tell him Lottie."

"Lou-" 

I cut Lottie off. "No Lotts, you out of everyone should know not to make up such shitty lies."