Chapter 34

It's just past afternoon when I get released from the hospital.

Harry drives me home, all the while telling me about his first year exams he took over the last few weeks, saying he's hoping he didn't fail. I tell him about how I have but he reassures that the college might be able to help me to reset them last year.

He parks up outside his house and opens my door for me, motioning for me to come along with him. He links his arm around mine and we walk together up the porch steps and into the house, instantly getting hit by the scent of roast potatoes and some sort of meat.

Anne looks up from stirring a sauce in a saucepan, plonking the wooden spoon onto the counter, wipes her hand against a tea towel draped across her red floral apron and walks over towards us.

"If you ever and I mean ever run away again like you did Louis, you'll be talking to that wooden spoon over there. And don't think that's an empty threat, Harry knows all too well about the end of that spoon against his bottom when he was younger." She gives me a stern look and I squirm under her gaze.

"It's true, I'm bound to have a scar on my ass cheek because of it," Harry mumbles over to me.

"I'll have to check on that later," I whisper teasingly.

Anne physically relaxes, a smile easily spreading across her face and she holds her arms out, ushering with her hands. "Bring it in Louis."

I go into her embrace and her Jasmine perfume wafts into my nose. She pats my back.

"It's good to see you home honey. How you feeling?" She places a hand on my forehead as if she's checking for a temperature.

"I'm okay."

"You gave us a scare back there. Harry was worried sick and when he rung me last night God I could not sleep a wink! I'm just glad you're safe and alive." She pecks my cheek.

"Thanks Anne. I'm sorry for scaring you."

"Stop apologising Louis. Just go get yourself cleaned up and ready for dinner, yeah? It'll be ready in ten. We're having a mini mid week roast tonight. Hope you like pork."

I give her a small smile and Harry leads me upstairs.

A towel whacks me in the face, squashing my nose.

"Ow!" I yelp, rubbing at the sore tip.

"Go get yourself in that shower. There may be a surprise in there for you." Harry gives me a wink.

"I swear to God if it's a dildo, a butt plug or your naked arse, I'm not having it... although you I might have."

He tuts. "No! It's nothing like that, God your mind is always in that gutter!"

"Embrace the not so innocence of my mind Harry." I swish my hips as I walk away, making my bum jiggle just for him.

The light in me has suddenly made a reappearance. Not huge, there's still shadows but it's enough to keep the shadows in the corners, not fully encasing me. It's golden and it's all thanks to Harry.

I grin at myself in the mirror. Sure, these few years might be hard but I think I can try to at least be better at controlling my grief. I shouldn't let the shadows chase away the light no more. I need to be the one to stand up to them and give them a big fuck you.

I climb into the shower and soak myself, enjoying the feeling of the warm water beating down on my body. I look over to see a brand new pink loofah and some fresh scented shower gel. I click the lid open and give a wiff. It smells kind of like baby powder and honey.