20 Deep

***

Chapter 20

***

Twenty-five quizzes, ten Ted talk videos, five self-help books.

That's how many places I researched to finalize 'Operation Crack Lucas.' 

It's a Friday afternoon at the office. I'm looking at my long list of questions I've prepared for him. But the problem is that he probably won't answer them seriously, unless I set the mood right. Make him comfortable.

But how do I do that without getting... too comfortable?

My dreams are certainly getting too comfortable. Things that should not be done in a workplace environment are flooding my brain. Earlier in a meeting with Grant and Lucas, I turned red and stumbled on my words, because Lucas smacked his palm on the table.

I wish I was that table.

See. This is what I mean. We're getting too comfortable.

Anyway. I need to pick an unsexy location with enough comfort to talk. Just talk. Nothing else.

"Let's go the playground." I suggest when he stops by my office.

He blinks in an 'are you stupid' type of way, muscular arms crossed across his chest. I should hit the gym and get buff. That way I can look at myself instead.

I gulp and continue. "I just mean, I need you to be relaxed when I ask you these questions. And the office setting is too formal."

"So a playground is your genius idea? Want me to push you on a swing while we eat lollipops?" He smirks, lifting a dark eyebrow.

"You lick a lollipop."

"You want to lick a lollipop while I push you on a swing, then?"

"What I wish to lick or not lick is none of your business."

Why is he looking at me like I'm free theater.

I rise on my feet, tossing my purse over my shoulder. I push past him and out my door, headed for the elevators. If he's not going to take this seriously, then I won't either.

"I'm just teasing, monster. Why are you so flustered?" He follows after me. Has he always been this tall?

I scoot away from him, creating more distance. I push the elevator button, looking around for witnesses. No funny business, Layla. Contain yourself. Get laid. Get a dildo for fuck's sake. Call Vadim.

"I thought you wanted my help." I tell him.

"I do." He smiles.

I roll my eyes and step inside the elevator. He follows after me. I punch the button, fixating on the numbers as if that's going to magically make the elevator go faster.

"Are you on your period?" He asks.

My head whips towards him. "Are you?"

"Yeah, I was going to ask if you have an extra tampon. I'm all out."

That makes me chuckle. Some of the tension in my spine eases.