25 Stuck

Chapter 25

***

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I smack the shit out of my broken car.

Fifteen minutes late to work due to oversleeping. And by oversleeping, I mean tossing and turning only to pass out at sunrise.

You'd think a sleepless night after a sensual concert would mean a good thing. You kiss a tall, dark devil and get whisked away - or in my imagination, get thrown against a wall.

No. Not what happened.

Now my hair is wild and frizzy. I didn't have time to put makeup on. And my car has given up. Fucking cheap ass piece of shit.

Fucking Lucas.

No, not like that.

I can't believe I'm late especially after that kiss. He's going to think that he's the reason. I hope he has good health insurance. His neck is going to break off when his head grows big.

Which head.

Help.

Well, since my Uber made me forty minutes late, another five minutes for coffee won't do anything.

I rush to the break room, thankful it's empty.

"Wow Layla, you're so late. Wild weekend?" Gia follows after me with a smile.

"Shouldn't you be in a meeting?" I strain, rummaging the fridge for hazelnut creamer.

"Yeah... just came to grab some water. Are you okay?" She drawls.

"Mhm, just need my caffeine kick." I laugh and shove a random pod in the coffee machine.

It won't turn on.

"Why do objects hate me!" I cover my face and bend over the counter. "I just want coffee! Just a little bit of coffee."

"Whoa." I hear a voice behind me. My heart goes on overdrive.

Hand around my throat. Pressed against his chest.

I whip my head to see Gia no longer there. Wow, that was a fast conversation. I turn to the coffee machine and assume a super chill position.

Lucas stretches his arm and does something magical to it. The slutty appliance starts making sounds and drips hot liquid in my cup.

Um. Let's just move on from that one.

"You're welcome." Lucas says sarcastically when I stand mute, unmoving.

"Thanks." I focus on my cup in case it decides to escape. One can never be too careful.

"Did you oversleep or something?" He looks at my hair.

Moving my hair aside. Lips on my neck.

"Why can't I oversleep every once in a while? I have a life too. I get busy."