34 Are You For Real?

Something terrible happened this morning. I'm so devastated, I want to cry.

The pink flower from the New York restaurant was accidentally ruined.

It was on the nightstand beside my bed. I was lazy and reached for my phone with eyes closed. And I was extra grumpy for being woken up. So I lifted my hand with unnecessary drama and slammed it down.

On the flower.

On the fucking flower.

What followed next was a slow motion of 'no!' and sliding off the bed like a puddle of shame.

It's also the first day of my period. So, I'm extra emotional.

I mourn the death of my flower — that was already dead on the inside, but now also from the outside — as I pour a cup of coffee in the break room of the office. I don't even deserve this coffee. Fuck this coffee. Never mind. I'm sorry. I love you, coffee.

"Good morning!" Lucas chirps next to me with a smile. Oh, I don't deserve his kindness.

"Don't look at me." I turn my head.

"The fuck?" He drawls. "What happened to you?"

"Nothing." I look down at the counter. I can't live with myself. I don't want this coffee. No, I want it.

"You... don't look fine." Lucas sounds worried and scared at the same time. He's watching me like a hawk. It's getting intense.

"I don't need your attention right now. Please reserve it for... never." I turn to walk past him, deciding that for once in my life, I will drink coffee without a creamer. Just bitter and dark.

Lucas stands in my way. He looks fed up with my shit. So fed up that he's not saying anything.

"I accidentally killed the New York flower." I mumble, looking at his chest.

"The... the one you put behind your ear? At the restaurant?" His eyes widen with shock. See, even he can't believe what I've done. I nod my head. "You kept that?"

"Of course." I scowl, then frown at how it's crumbled to pieces. "Not anymore, though."

"Aw... " Why is he smiling at me?

I glare at him.

"Aw... " He chuckles.

"What's so funny?" I growl. "This is a tragic situation. I don't appreciate your humor."

Lucas pouts his lower lip as if I'm some adorable puppy. I am. But that's not the point.

"I'll be in my office. Good day." I grumble, walking away.

~

It's 1 PM and thankfully a very slow day. The heating blanket in my lap soothes the cramps. And the dark chocolate in my hand is my husband. We're happily married.

"Layla! Have you seen Lucas?" A very worried Grant pants as he steps in my office.

"No... what's wrong? Is he okay?"

"He's supposed to pitch to Aaron! He's been waiting for ten minutes!"

My heart drop to my stomach. "Aaron from... Japan?"

"He's on a strict schedule. He flew out here specifically for this meeting. Oh my God, where is he?" Grant folds forward with desperation. I start to get panicked.

"I... I don't know. Let me try to call him." I quickly grab my phone.

"Take care of it. I need to go back and make up an excuse."