32 Come Over

*warning: this chapter includes a brat/dom dynamic that may be triggering to some*

Chapter 32

***

"His arm might be swollen for ten days?!" I exclaim as I read about bee allergies online.

Lucas dropped me off at work and went to the pharmacy. It was after 1 PM by then, so Grant told him to just stay home. Apparently last time, Lucas got a fever and became too drowsy from the medication.

"Whatchu doing?" Gia pops her curly head in my office.

I jerk back from the computer and blush red. Great, it looks like I got caught watching porn.

"Nothing." I hastily click the mouse to close all irrelevant tabs as Gia moseys in.

She sits across from me with a bag of cheese puffs. She pops one in her mouth, crunching loudly and continues to stare. I look side to side, getting uncomfortable.

"Where's Lucas?" She tilts her head.

"Home."

"Hm... " She nods. I shift in my seat, she smirks. "How was San Diego?"

"Great." I say too quickly. Her smile widens. "Yeah, the meeting went well. They liked the idea."

"Oh, yeah?" She eats another cheese puff. "What else happened?"

"Nothing." Damn it, slow down. "I mean, not much. Grant's house was nice. The beach was pretty, and I, uh, I made a delicious omelet. Yoga. Did yoga. The traffic back was horrible."

"Mhm. Nothing happened between you and Lucas?" She leans forward and puts her hand under her chin. "Spending the night under the same roof? Two hot bodies colliding—"

"No hot bodies. We were cold. And in separate rooms. With air conditioner and clothes."

Gia narrows her eyes. I sigh in defeat. "Alright, we kissed. But please don't tell anyone!"

She smacks her lips. "Relax, no one cares about who you kiss. Besides, your private affairs don't matter. It's not like we don't know you're the hardest working person at this office."

My tension softens. "Really? You mean that?"

"Of course!" She gives me a strange look. "How can you doubt that? You're the first one in and the last one out. We'd be lost without you."

I stick my bottom lip out and try not to throw my arms around her. She smiles at me gently.

"And if you happen to have a crush on a handsome guy... " She shrugs a single shoulder. "Who the hell are we to judge?"

"You're so cool, Gia. Honestly, thank you."

"I know." She chirps, striking a pose. "Anyway, why isn't he here?"

"Um..." I chuckle. "He got stung by a bee and had a bad reaction."

"Oh, no." Her eyebrows furrow. "Is he okay? How did it happen?"