Explaining

A/N: Glad I wrote this in advance, cause me and my brother were actually in the ER yesterday. (We're fine now, though.)

Washington opened the door to find Henry. Laurens in his arms, out cold.

"Henry." Washington was shocked.

"He's freezing." Henry ignored him. He went inside and took him to the couch. Alexander and Eliza moved immediately as soon as they saw him.

"What happened?" Alexander asked.

"I don't know. I found him like this on the side of the road, slung him over my shoulder, and brought him here." Henry explained.

"It's not hypothermia, but we need to keep it that way." Eliza said. "I need some hot water in a bowl and as many blankets as you can get."

Martha immediately ran upstairs and Washington went to the kitchen.

"Why was he on the side of the road?" Alexander asked.

"Beats me. It's possible his engine froze or something and he had to walk." Henry said.

"He should be ok." Eliza smiled. "He might have a pretty bad cold though. You found him just in time."

"Good." Henry nodded.

Washington came back in with the hot water and towels, and Martha came in with blankets. Eliza arranged them so that Laurens was wrapped up with a warm towel on his forehead and feet. After a few minutes, he finally started to wake up.

"What happened?" He asked. He tried to sit up but Eliza pushed him back down.

"Take it easy. You're at your house." Eliza smiled sweetly. She took a closer look at his face and noticed his forehead was bleeding badly. "What happened to your head?"

"I... I can't remember." Laurens said. "My car broke down and I got out to check on it and... I can't remember anything after that."

Washington was deeply concerned now. Laurens doesn't show up for hours and then just turns up with Henry and he's injured with no memory of what happened? Seemed sketchy.

"Eliza? Can I speak with you for a minute?" Washington asked.

Eliza nodded and they both went to Washington's study. George then closed the doors and Eliza sat down on the couch.

"That head injury, would that be from a car accident or something else?" Washington asked.

"Car accident is unlikely. The air bags would've prevented him from making harsh contact. By the looks of it, I'd assume someone hit him in the head with something. I should probably check him for a concussion when I go back out." Eliza explained.

"That's what I feared." He whispered under his breath. "Thank you."

They both left the room and then Washington called Martha and Henry in to talk. Eliza went back and sat down with Laurens and Alexander.

"What was that about?" Alexander asked.

"I'm guessing that he thinks Henry is responsible for his head." Eliza answered.

"My head? But... I thought he was different now." Laurens whimpered. "He wouldn't do this... right?"

"I have no idea." Alexander sighed.

Eliza then checked Laurens for a concussion while the others talked in the study.

"Tell me again what happened." Washington stated.

"I was driving back to my apartment and I saw someone on the side of the road. I wasn't really shocked when I found out it was him, so I picked him up, put him in my truck, and brought him here." Henry explained.

"Where's his phone and wallet?" Washington asked

"I don't know. Maybe they fell out of his pocket." Henry just finished before Washington started speaking again.

"Then what happened to his head?" Washington asked sternly.

"I don't know. He must've been like that when I found him."

"And you didn't notice?" Washington questioned.

"Are you suggesting that I'm lying to you?" Henry asked.

"It wouldn't be the first time." Washington glared.

"Well then what do you think happened?" Henry said.

"I'm not sure. You could be telling the truth." He began. "Or maybe you tried to kidnap my son again and got cold feet."

"I would never!"

"How am I supposed to know that!" Washington exclaimed. "You did it before and that kid has suffered from it ever since!"

"I'm sorry. I know what I did and I have to live with that every day." Henry teared up. "But I would never do it again. Never."

"You may be telling the truth, but all the evidence doesn't point to that being the case." Washington grew madder and madder.

"George." Martha stated. Both men turned to look at her. "Laurens doesn't remember what happened. Until he does, we shouldn't assume anything. Both of you make good points but your argument is useless without proof."

"Fine. I won't call the police or do anything rash, and I won't kick you out into the storm." Washington began. "But I'm warning you. Stay away from my son! And if I find out otherwise, I will call the police." Washington stormed out and went over to see Laurens.

"Mrs. Washington?" Henry asked before she left. "Please, I would never hurt him again. I just want John to know that I'm not a monster anymore. Please don't take away my chance to do that."

"If you're telling the truth, then there's nothing to worry about." Martha said. "I believe that people can change, and I hope that a man like you would certainly change for the better. But you can't be mad at my husband for not trusting you after what you did to our son. If you want him to trust you, it will take time."

"Ok." Henry nodded.

Washington sat down by Laurens. "You ok?"

"Freezing cold, but I've been worse." Laurens joked.

"Do you remember anything?" Washington asked.

"No." Laurens sighed. "You don't think..."

"I'm not sure." Washington interrupted.

"I thought he changed." Laurens frowned.

"He might've. But we can't be sure right now. And if he hasn't, it's not your fault for trusting him." Washington started. "I know you can make good decisions, and one bad one doesn't mean you're too immature to make them."

"No. You were right. I should've known." Lauren whimpered. "I should've known."