Christmas part 3.

Alexander and Peggy had spent hours looking for Laurens. It wasn't until Lafayette found out John locked himself in his dorm that they finally stopped and called it a night. Alexander was still consumed with guilt however. No matter what he did, he couldn't take his mind off of the situation. Also, the fact that Peggy might attack him any minute now was also a bit unnerving.

It was Christmas eve and Laurens still refused to talk to Alexander. It was making things very uncomfortable for their family and friends.
The boys were staying at the Washington house for the holidays, and the girls at Schuyler Manor. So this was effecting some more then others.

"He won't talk to me." Alexander ranted. "I don't know what else to do."

"He needs space Alex." Laf replied. "Give him some time."

20 minutes ago.

Laurens stormed in with his bag and ran all the way up to his room.

"Laurens? Are you ok?" Martha asked.

"No!" He yelled as he reached the top of the stairwell.

Alexander came walking in next. "He's already gone, isn't he?"

"Alexander, what's wrong with Laurens?" Washington asked curiously. He and Martha were on the couch waiting for them to arrive, now they didn't know what was happening.

"Laurens is mad at me. He won't let me talk to him." Alexander said. He didn't want to explain everything out of fear that they would take Laurens' side.

"Care to explain why?" Lafayette came in next.

"You and your immaculate timing." Alexander deadpanned.

"Alexander? What is going on?" Washington asked, a little more stern.

"I... I don't know how to say this." Alexander sighed.

"The day he and Laurens were supposed to drive home from school, Mr. Hamildumb decided to go see Maria Reynolds instead. Care to remind them what else happened that day?" Laf stared at him.

"That was the day his father broke out of prison and came after him." Alexander sighed.

Washington and Martha were speechless. They didn't say anything for what seemed like a lifetime.

"Come on, please say something." Alexander begged.

"What do you want me to say?" Washington asked. "That he blames you for a traumatic event that he has every right to blame you for? Or he needs to calm down because everyone makes mistakes?"

Alexander sighed. "I just don't know what to do. I mean, it happened so long ago that half of the reason why he hates me is because I didn't tell him. I swear I was going to though."

"How do we know?" Laf asked.

"Who's side are you on?"

"Laurens'!!!"

"Fine."

"Alex, you can't just expect him to forgive you like that." Martha said. "When did he find out anyway?"

"Yesterday." Alexander replied.

"You need to give him time. This isn't something that will just go away over night. You need to wait, then apologize." Martha continued.

"We all know I'm not good at waiting."

"We know!" They all said in unison.

"Just give him some time. This is serious Alexander." Washington ordered.

"Alright."

Present Time.

"He hasn't left his room since he got here." Alexander stated.

"What did you expect? That because it's Christmas eve that he would put his feelings on hold for the holidays?" Lafayette asked.

"I had hoped."

Laf palmed his face. He felt dumber for being in this conversation. "Why don't you go see Eliza? Maybe he'll come out if you're not here."

"Fine. It's worth a shot at least. Just please don't make me sound like the bad guy?" Alexander pleaded.

"I will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Good day Mr. Hamilton." Laf turned and left the room.

Alexander grabbed his coat and made his way to the front door.

"Where are you going?" Washington asked.

"I'm going to see Eliza. Laurens might come down if I'm not here." He answered. He walked out the door and left for Schuyler Manor.

After about 15 minutes, the Washingtons decided to go up and check on Laurens. Hoping he would talk to them.

"Laurens?" Martha knocked on the door. "Can we come in?"

There was silence on the other end for a moment, until the door finally opened. Laurens looked depressed, like he hadn't been able to sleep the night before. He didn't say anything, he just waited for them to begin again.

"Are you ok?" Washington asked.

"No." He whimpered.

They both wrapped their arms around him and sat down on his bed. They knew this wasn't a good day for him, but they didn't really want to pick between children. It was a rather unpredictable situation. But right now, they knew they just needed to comfort him.

"I can't believe he didn't tell me." Laurens cried. "He only thinks of himself."

"You know that's not true." Martha said. "But sometimes he doesn't think at all."

"Is sometimes all the time?" Laurens deadpanned.

"I know you're upset sweetie, but everything will be ok." Martha reassured him.

"You just need some time." Washington said.

"I'm not over reacting, right? I have every right to be upset." Laurens questioned.

"You do. But you shouldn't stay upset forever." Washington continued.

"I know. I'll forgive him when he's on his death bed." Laurens scoffed.

"Martha? Could you give us a minute?" George asked.

Martha nodded and left the room.

"Why did he do this? Not only to me, but to Eliza? I don't know how she was able to forgive him." Laurens ranted. "He's my best friend. Or at least I thought he was."

"Well, you and I both know that Alexander is very different then you." Washington began. "He doesn't think of that as wrong at first. He did eventually of course, but let's not forget the examples he had in life. Look at his parents for a start. His mother had him after an affair."

"I guess you're right." Laurens sighed.

"Now that doesn't excuse the fact of what he did. But it gives you a better understanding." Washington replied. "You ok?"

"I'm not sure. I don't know what ok is anymore." Laurens wiped his eyes. "I still don't want to talk to him. I will try and get through Christmas though."

"Good. I'm sorry for this, I know it's hard." Washington smiled. "It'll be ok." George stood up and walked out the door. He had said all that he could in the moment. Now it was all up to how Laurens would react the next day.