Parole!

A/N: I tried to Google this stuff, but all that came up was a bunch of wordy sections that gave me no information about this subject. I think though, based on parts of the wordy stuff that I could understand, that this is legal? Sorry if it's not, but this is fanfiction so I guess that it doesn't really matter that much.

Parole, when a man/woman is released from prison because of a change in behavior. A person can be paroled if they have a mental illness, and start treatment for it. But only if they show signs that they are no longer a threat.

Laurens was chilling with Alexander at the Washington house over the weekend.

"So what should I do for me and Eliza's 2nd anniversary?" Alexander asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about. It's like the first week of September. You're anniversary isn't until next year." Laurens stated.

"Yeah, but I plan ahead. I'm not exactly the kind of person who just throws a plan together in five minutes." Alexander replied.

"Yes. Yes you are."

"Fine, but not when it comes to Eliza. I want to make sure that nothing happens to our relationship ever again."

"And who's fault was that?"

"I think I liked you better mute." Alexander joked.

Laurens rolled his eyes and went back to staring at his phone. He was looking at pictures of Peggy and Stephen. It made him sad, yet for some reason, he kept doing it. He wished Stephen wouldn't make their friendship so weird.

"Dude. I know you don't like Stephen, but that's a bit weird." Alexander noticed.

"I mean, I know he makes Peggy happy, but... I don't know. It's like he doesn't want me being friends with her." Laurens explained.

"Oh, you mean because he was just a friend of Peggy's while you two were dating and look at where we are now." Alexander added.

"Right."

"Just man up and except it." Alexander joked.

"I wish you were mute." Laurens whispered.

"Be nice boys." Martha called. "Where's Laf?"

"With his wife. Gosh it's weird saying that." Alexander answered.

"I still say that about you and Eliza." Laurens chimed in.

"I guess."

Martha went over and turned on the TV, she sat down in an armchair and changed to the news channel.

"Oh my gosh." Laurens gasped. He saw that one of the local stories was that a man got out of prison on parole. Guess who?

"Is that?" Alexander asked, but Laurens interrupted.

"My father."

Stephen had asked Peggy out to dinner. He took her to a five star resort, and pampered her like the queen she is. But he had never done this before. Peggy was a little suspicious of his intentions. What if he was using her? What if he tried to sleep with? She knew her father would kill him if he tried. But worst of all, she was scared if he liked another girl there.

"So, is there a specific reason why you brought me here?" Peggy asked.

"I'm not sure yet. Maybe you'll just have to wait." Stephen replied.

Peggy got even more nervous. If he tried to sleep with her, that would end the whole thing. Her father wouldn't hesitate to kill like he did for Alexander. This was way different.

"Oh, ok." She answered, not too sure of herself.

Stephen let her go shopping and go to the spa and all of the things Peggy could possibly do at a hotel. But the whole time, Peggy was suspicious of his intentions.

Laurens couldn't speak. How did this horrible man happen to make parole?

"Laurens? You ok man?" Alexander asked.

Laurens didn't say anything. He just kept staring at the TV. He finally spoke up a few minutes later.
"He's gonna try and kill me, isn't he?"

"Maybe he has changed." Alexander suggested. "Remember what he said when he asked us to visit him?"

"Yes. But I didn't think he actually meant it." Laurens didn't break his gaze.

"What happened?" Martha asked.

"He apologized. He said he was sorry for trying to kill me and Alexander." Laurens answered.

"Oh, I see." Martha responded.

Washington came through the front door a moment later. "Hey, how are you darling?" He asked Martha.

"We're a bit confused." She replied.

Washington looked over at the TV. "Well how about that?" He said as if he were joking, but you knew he could have exploded right there.

"I can't believe this." Laurens said. "I never thought I'd see the day when my father was able to do something good with his life."

"I wouldn't call this good. Just getting out of something bad." Alexander added.

They were all speechless for a few more seconds before Martha changed the channel and tried to calm Laurens down. "Why don't we just have dinner?"

Peggy and Stephen were at dinner. Stephen buying her anything she wanted. Peggy just ended up with a salad and a sirloin steak, medium rare.

"How is it babe?" He asked, trying to be polite.

"Great, how is yours?" Peggy replied.

"Fantastic. But I don't really care about that." He smirked.

When they were done eating the main course, the waiter came by and asked if they would like dessert.

"Would you like dessert?" He asked.

"Yes please. Peggy?" Stephen asked.

"How about we split a chocolate mousse cake?" Peggy suggested. (Sorry if I spelled that wrong. I'm not really sure if I did, but if so I'm sorry.)

"Sounds good to me." Stephen answered.

The waiter nodded and walked away.

"Peg? You are the most lovely, talented, strong and capable woman I have ever met. You love to please your family but you still find joy while doing so. You make me want to be a better person. You inspire people and you inspire me." Stephen began. "In the time I've known you, I knew that you were different from any other person that I had met. I love you and I know that you love me too."

"I do Stephen, I love you very much." Peggy replied.

"I can't wait any longer though. I want you to spend the rest of your life with me, I want you to be Mrs. Stephen Van Rensselaer." He said. Everyone in the restaurant turned to watch the sight as he stood up out of his chair, and got down in one knee.

Peggy was speechless.

"Margarita Schuyler? Will you marry me?"