"At least the visit is free."

A/N: Don't let the jokey title fool you. This is going to be really emotional.

So, they were back at the hospital. Again... Again.

Eliza called her father and told him what happened. He arrived around the same time as the Washingtons. All were terrified and feared of what happened to their children.

"Where is she?" Philip asked in a panic.

"Peggy's fine Daddy. She's ok." Eliza explained. "Angelica's trying to calm her down."

"Eliza, tell me in detail everything that happened." Philip stated.

"Just wait a minute. Washington just called me and said he got my message. They'll be here any second."

"Actually, we're here now." She heard a voice from behind her. "Is Laurens ok?"

"Well... it all started when Stephen showed up at the dance, uninvited. Obviously." Eliza began. "Then he grabbed Laurens and pulled out a gun. Peggy was like 'No! Kill me!' So he turned the gun and tried to shoot Peggy, but then John tried to kick the gun and Stephen ended up shooting him in the leg."

"Where is Stephen? I'm gonna kill him!" Philip pounded his fist.

"I'll help." George added.

"George. Philip. Are you listening to yourselves?" Martha asked. "You can't just kill someone."

"Why not?" Philip questioned.

"Yes. He tried to kill our children. We have every right to return the favor." Washington added.

"Martha's right. Daddy, please listen to reason." Eliza begged. "Remember when you tried to kill Alexander?"

"I'm sorry, what?" Washington asked.

"Long story. But she's right, we shouldn't kill anyone. It only leads to more trouble." Philip replied.

"What happened to Stephen anyway?" Martha questioned.

"The police arrested him. I'm sure he's in prison by now." Eliza said.

Just as they had finished talking, a nurse came out of a room and walked
over to talk with them.

"Mrs. Hamilton, right? Your friend is out of surgery now." She began. "Oh, hello."

"Hi, can you tell us how bad it is?" Martha asked.

"They're his parents." Eliza added.

"Yes. He lost a lot of blood, but he's ok. His tibia is also broken, but I'm afraid a cast won't be enough." The nurse started. "We had to put a rod in his leg."

"Ok, can we see him now?" Martha asked.

"Yes. He's still scared, but hopefully you can calm him down."

The nurse then led the Washingtons to a room and let them in.

"Hey." Washington said calmly. "Are you ok?"

"Stephen. Of all people, tried to kill us." Laurens responded. "H-He tried t-to shoot..."

"It's ok sweetheart." Martha soothed him. She went over and sat down on the bed, trying not to touch his leg that was still red and bandaged. "He's in jail now."

"You said the same thing about my father. We all know that didn't last long." Laurens snapped at her. "I'm sorry, I'm just stressed out."

"It's ok. You're right." Martha nodded. "That did end up badly."

"I just... I don't want this anymore." Laurens whimpered.

"We know, and we're sorry that this is the life you have to live." George chimed in.

"No, I don't want to be apart of this family anymore." Laurens teared up.

"What?" Both Washingtons said in unison.

"I care about all of you and the Schuylers, and all I've done is bring trouble on you." Laurens whimpered again. "I'm just a burden to all of you."

"No you're not. We..."

"You're lives would be so much better if I had never come into them." Laurens interrupted. "We wouldn't even be at this stupid hospital right now. Or the last three times we've been to the hospital would've never happened. I mean... there have been several occasions where my friends almost died because of me."

"Martha, could you give us a minute?" Washington asked. Martha nodded and then left the room.

"I know, I know. You chose to be apart of my life and that it's not my fault." Laurens sighed.

"When me and Martha first got married, we wanted lots and lots of kids. And at the time, we wanted our own. We weren't even considering adopting. We wanted our own family." George started. "I was so excited to be a father and to raise my kids and love them and take care of them, and be there for them. For the rest of my days."

Laurens stopped his rant and gave the man his full attention.

"But after months and months of trying, we ended up with nothing. We went to see a doctor and found out that I was the problem. I figured she'd want a divorce, but she said she'd rather be with me then have children with another man." Washington continued. "So we started fostering. Lafayette was first, Alexander a few years later. But our family still wasn't complete."

Washington paused for a second, but Laurens didn't say anything. He just waited for him to finish.

"We thought about fostering a girl, but with two teenage boys in the house... that wasn't exactly a good idea. We almost gave up and just thought that we were complete, but I didn't think so because... well, I couldn't tell you why." Washington said. "But then I met this skinny, little, underfed kid with duct tape holding together his only pair of shoes. And I felt for the first time since we found out that terrible news, that my life was complete. Because I needed you in my life just as much as you needed me."

"I didn't know that." Laurens frowned. "I guess I never looked at the other side of things."

"You do. That's why you thought that you were a burden. But you're not. You never have been, and you never will be." Washington reminded him. "I promise you that."

"I just want to be normal."

Washington went over and wrapped his arm around Laurens. "Normal is overrated. That's why I have three kids who all have crazy lives. You're just the cherry on top."

"Normal is safe. Normal doesn't have to worry about death on a daily basis." Laurens whimpered. "And you can't promise me that."

Washington was silent for a moment. He wanted to help him, but he didn't want to lie to him.

"I can't promise you that. But I can promise that whenever anything bad happens, I will be here for you. You will never have to go through this alone. Not anymore."

"Swear?"

"I swear."

Laurens leaned in and George gave him a hug.

"Can you hand me a wet rag or something?" Laurens asked as they broke away. "I still look like a werewolf."

"Yeah, about that. I thought you were going as Marty Mcfly?" Washington asked.

"Long story."

A nurse came in a few minutes later with a clipboard in her left hand and a pen in her right.

"Back so soon?" She teased.

Laurens pulled out his punch card from his pocket. "At least the visit is free."