Cleared

Henry arrived at the station a few minutes later. Peggy had already cleared that Laurens was with her at the time of the murder, but they wanted to make sure that his story was accurate in order to find out who really did this.

"Can someone please tell me what's going on?" Henry asked.

"Are you Mr. Laurens?" The cop that arrested Laurens asked.

"Yes." Henry nodded.

"My name is Officer Michaels. Your son has been arrested as the suspect for murder." The cop explained.

"Yeah, well that's not true." Henry sighed.

Will saw that he arrived and ran over to them. "Mr. Laurens!"

"Yes, hello..." Henry paused. "Wait, I know you. You were there when I was arrested. You're John's friend."

"Yes." Will said slowly.

Henry unexpectedly gave him a hug. "Thank you for helping save him."

"From you." Will stated awkwardly.

"I was a different man then." Henry nodded and walked on with Officer Michaels to an interrogation room.

Will froze for a moment. "What the heck just happened?!?!"

Henry and the cop went to the interrogation room Laurens was in.

"Finally." Laurens sighed in relief. "They think I killed someone."

"Why?" Henry asked.

"We found his driver's license at the crime scene. It's the only evidence we have to go on." Officer Michaels explained. "He said it was stolen and we were hoping you could confirm that."

"Yes. By some man trying to rob him." Henry nodded.

"Ok then." Michaels uncuffed Laurens from the table. John rubbed his wrists before mouthing 'thank you' to Henry.
"Did you get your license replaced?"

"Yes. So am I free to go?" Laurens asked.

"Not yet." Michaels said. He grabbed a clip board that was on the table and reas over some of the information. "Mr. Laurens?"

"Yes." Both of them said simultaneously.

"Henry Laurens. Did you see this man's face?"

"No. I arrived right after. I saw a few people walking away, but I couldn't identify them." Henry answered.

"Then Mr. John Laurens, I'm afraid you're the only one who can identify this man." Michaels sighed. "I'm sorry, but you can't leave yet."

Laurens let his head fall into the table.

"Can you describe the man? We can start with a basic description and then we can get a sketch artist down here if we need more information." Michaels grabbed a pen and a notepad.

"He... he had brown eyes. He was about an inch or so taller then me... he was kinda big, not like fat, but big...." Laurens trailed off.

"Can you give me a more detailed description?" Michaels asked.

"I'm sorry. I'm not good at describing people like this." Laurens sighed.

Michaels sighed as well.

Henry thought for a minute. He had a suggestion that just might work.

"He could draw him."

"What?" Michaels asked. "I know that you're trying to help, but we'd need a professional sketch..."

"He can do it." Henry interrupted. "He's got my late wife's drawing abilities. He's going to school to be a better artist."

"He's right. I've done sketches of my girlfriend before. I can show you them if you don't believe me. There realistic." Laurens added. "It might be easier then giving a sketch artist a vague description."

"You can try. But if it doesn't meet a sketch artist's quality, we can't use it." Michaels agreed.

"Ok. It may take me some time, but it'll be good." Laurens nodded.

"Get started on it right away."

"But I still have school in the morning, and it's already gotta be past midnight." Laurens stated.

"Then tell them you're not going tomorrow. This has to be done pronto. There's a murderer on the loose and this needs to be a priority." Michaels ordered.

"Alright." Laurens nodded. "It may take me a couple cups of coffee, but I'll get on it."

"Good." Michaels nodded. "Now we need you to keep this low profile. No one can find out."

"What about my family?" Laurens asked.

"Only the ones that already know can know. To clear that up, that means Mr. Washington, Mr. Laurens, Mr. Ford, (not me totally forgetting Alister's last name and having to look it up 🤦‍♀️) and Ms. Schuyler." Michaels explained. "No one else, do you understand?"

"Yes, I do." Laurens nodded and he bit his lip. He didn't like keeping secrets from his family. Especially when it was something serious like this. At least Peggy would know. It would help to have someone to talk to, but it would suck that he couldn't tell anyone else.

"You can go get started on that now." Michaels ordered. "We don't want him to kill someone else. We need to catch him quickly."

"I understand. And I'm lucky he didn't kill me." Laurens mumbled that last part under his breath.

Laurens walked out of the room and was swarmed by Henry behind him and Washington and Peggy in front of him.

"What's going on?" Peggy asked.

"They thought I killed someone because they found my driver's license on the body, but I explained that it was stolen and that I got a new one and now everything is fine." Laurens explained.

"I knew you didn't kill someone, but with your luck I was worried they'd convict you anyway." Peggy ranted.

"Everything's gonna be fine, Peg. Promise." Laurens hugged her. "But they did say we couldn't tell anyone about this until I'm able to identify the man who really did this."

"Why?" Peggy asked.

"They didn't tell me, but I'm assuming the reason is because if the man finds out they cleared me and that I can identify him, he might try and kill me." Laurens whispered as to not draw attention from anyone else then who he was talking to.

"Alright. We tell no one." Peggy nodded.

"Did they say you're free to go?" Washington asked.

"Yes. But as soon as I get back," He paused for a yawn. "I have to start drawing."

"You need sleep." Peggy stated.

"She's right, you look exhausted." Washington nodded.

"I have to get this done as soon as possible." Laurens argued. "I promise to rest when this is all done."

Washington didn't like that answer, but he went with it knowing the importance of time in this situation.

"The only problem is where to go. If I go back to my dorm, I'll keep Alister up all night and he still has classes tomorrow." Laurens pointed out.

"You can stay at my place." Peggy suggested. "We have a front gate and a high security system in case said person tries to kill you. It's the safest and best place."

"What about your father?" Laurens asked.

"I'll make something up." Peggy said.

"Ok. That's probably a good idea." Laurens nodded. "I'll need to get some drawing..."

"We have supplies. I used to draw cartoons in middle school. I still have everything." Peggy explained.

"Good." Laurens nodded again. "Then let's get going."