Chapter 48: The Manor

“It is a nice house.”

Tragedy. Everything tasted of it, everything smelled of it, everything screamed danger. People ran in the streets, Dreamland and Manburg soldiers in silver and green armor and black suits respectively forcing families to stay in their houses. No doubt a ploy to try to keep Pogtopia from blowing everything sky high. Keep the innocents in their home, innocents they cared about as hostages, and then theoretically the resistance wouldn’t be able to do anything. But hopefully Niki and her team were getting enough people evacuated that they could do plan B if it came to it, because if it did, Quackity wasn’t sure if the man beside him would hesitate even if there were civilians in the way.

At least it was less of a tragedy than him waking up this morning. 

"GOODMORNING. I KNOW YOU JUST WOKE UP, BUT WE ARE GOING TO WAR. SEE YOU IN FIVE." Wasn't the way he wanted to wake up, nonetheless by Wilbur. He couldn't get a fucking break, could he? But at least Niki was nice, and even though Techno still made his left side tingle in phantom pains whenever he saw his face, he had tried to give him healing potions for his wings. Something about aerial support. But it didn't do shit. Another disappointment of the day, but ya know what? He'd make the best of it. He had double axes now, his preferred weapon back and solid in his hands. He had light netherite armor Techno had made him. And hopefully all of this would be over by the time the sun sets once again. 

Last night was hell. What he went through was hell. But he'd put a barrier up. He told himself it wasn't real. He'd unpack the emotions later. He had a battle to win.

But it also gave him an insight. 

Tommy had whispered to him Dream had been talking with Wilbur. Hell, Quackity had seen it himself. Tommy also whispered of how Dream had supplied the tnt, how he and Wilbur disappeared for conversations for hours on end, how the man gave him bad feelings. And after last night, Quackity would agree. 

Quackity knew Dream was the bad guy in the first war. He'd known that from the legends and stories and nights at the bar. In that time when he first arrived that now he looked back on as the good ol days. But Dream hadn't been a major threat in Quackity's time. Sure the soldiers supported Schlatt after whatever deal they made, but that was background help and not a direct assault. But it seems that Dream was just biding his time and holding his cards close to his chest. 

Quackity wouldn't forgive Schlatt. He knew that now after spending time with people who cared about him, even if it was tense and stressful. But he knew last night who's guards were in the room with him. Whose orders were being carried out. 

And Quackity would always see Schlatt and the biggest threat. To him, personally at least. 

But if he were to pack the emotions up, think logically, think like the law student he was supposed to be, he saw a third party looming in the distance with a web of strings held between their fingers as sharp as razor blades, waiting in the shadows. 

But one evil man at a time.

The two were invisible, standing in front of the giant doorway, stalling at the front door of the security system that Quackity was very easily able to bypass because for some reason the system still took the passcode that let him in normally.

To be fair, it was a nice house. 

It was a manor style build, deeper into the heart of Mannburg, something that wasn’t up until Tommy and Wilbur were exiled. It was commissioned, built, despite the white house being perfectly suitable for occupants. But it was a nice house. Other than the security that had been set up, the defenses, and the guards that normally patrolled the ground, it did have a charm to it.