Chapter 23: Memories

In the void, there was tons of time to waste and a giant black abyss to stare into. Philza had been doing a lot of thinking in between his research of the abandoned towers, magic practice, and hanging out with Rutha. Sitting at the edge of the island, he let his legs hang off the side of the dusty yellow cliffs, swinging gently. He hadn't been able to sleep, the last memory of the terrible visions he had all those years ago playing over and over in his head. He had been thinking about it a lot. The visions had been hanging over his head like a ticking bomb. But now, sitting here in the darkness, he realized that two out of the three had already come true. He hadn't been able to escape them. 

The first one, that one had come true a long time ago. And the second one-

He was living it right now.

Despite the endless prison he was trapped in, Philza counted himself lucky.

If two out of the three visions came true, the chances of the third one happening decreased.

He laid down on his back, smiling sadly as Rutha flew over his head.

He missed his kids so fucking much.

He closed his eyes, the darkness behind his eyelids no different then the darkness of the sky above. 

The only way he could escape was through his head. 

The only way he could see them was through his memories. 

So, his eyes closed, he allowed himself to drift off to a time where he was actually happy. 

A time where they had been together.

>{}<

The steel sword that Techno had stolen from his father's room felt natural in his hands, like it was second nature. He had carried the gear he had taken and went out into the forest, the early morning sunrise peeking through the trees, beams of light reflecting off the river he was practicing by. Birds swooped in the canopy of lush trees, the sounds of running water covering up the sounds of the sword cutting the air as Techno swung it, practicing getting a grip on it's balance.

Something about it invigorated him. It's like something had been woken up inside him.

He practiced a good while, throwing everything he had into it. He swung, stepped, pretended to dodge and defend himself against invisible enemies. He practiced until he started to sweat, until the sun fully emerged from behind the earth.

"You're swinging it wrong."

Technoblade's heart stopped.

He swung around, looking to the voice up in the trees.

Philza sat smiling at his son. Philza had noticed that Techno was escaping every morning and today had been the day that he had flown after him. Perched up on a sturdy branch, he had watched with pride as Techno had practiced. But he could only watch his shoddy form for so long.

He jumped down from the tree, wings catching his fall. He walked up to his son, who was standing there in disbelief.

"You got to stand more like this," Philza spread his feet apart, before grabbing Techno's shoulders and helping him get into the stance.

"Yeah. Yeah like that."

Technoblade didn't say anything, instead listening intently to what he was saying.

"And you're swinging it like you're trying to poke people. You aren't trying to poke people. This isn't a rapier." Philza wrapped his hand around Techno's, swinging his arm slowly in the correct motion. "You'll want to swing your sword like that."