Chapter 9: Blood moon

Wilbur stood at the door of the family home. It was standing wide open, moonlight shining in around the silhouette of his twin standing in the doorframe. Wind blew his hair back and carried in a slight scent of campfire. In all natural terms, tonight was a good night. It was beautiful weather. Everything was glowing in the blood moon's light. The wildlife was buzzing just outside. But Wilbur couldn't stop the tears from forming in his eyes.

"So this is really it?" His voice cracked with pain.

Technoblade didn't say anything, just turning his head away from Wilbur, not looking him in the eyes. He couldn't. Not after what he was about to do.

"When... when you said you were thinking about leaving home..." Wilbur tried to get his words out of his mouth, but every syllable was like swallowing nails, "I didn't really think you were going to follow through."

Technoblade and Wilbur had grown up so fast. They had to. First their mom, then their dad. Technoblade had gotten so much stronger, taking all of his frustration out on his training, his studies, and something that nobody else had really been too fond of- exploring his fae magic.

Fae magic is to a certain extent common, but any magic that can actually be of use is really dangerous, but Technoblade had gotten it with worrying speed. There had been a reason that it wasn't till recently that using untamed magic was a big taboo. It didn't seem to concern the people of the village that much, but it had really unsettled Wilbur when Techno had said he had started to experiment.

Not because he wasn't proud. But because it was getting harder for him to read his twin. It was getting harder to know what he was thinking. But Wilbur kept trying. He was trying really hard. Because he couldn't lose another person. Not again.

"Wilbur." Techno's own voice was gentle and apologetic. "I don't understand what you don't understand. For months now, I've said the night of my 18th birthday I'm leaving."

Wilbur slammed his fist down on the hallway dresser, shaking a vase with flowers in it. "I- I thought it was all just big talk!"

Techno couldn't look at his twin. He let his hair fall over his face as he placed a hand on the wooden frame. "Wilbur, I thought you knew me."

Techno's voice was gentle, but it still hit Wilbur like a bus. Wilbur did know Techno. He had to. He was his twin. Wilbur's mouth pulled into a grim line. Maybe he had known... Maybe Wilbur was just in denial that his twin would actually want to leave him, that he wasn't enough to keep him happy.

"So-" Wilbur stuttered, "This- this is it?"

Techno thought back to all of the memories left in this house. All the good ones. The ones with mom, and her amazing tenderness. Days of working with her in the garden, talking to the plants like they were her own children, working the ground perfectly till all the vegetables grew unnaturally three times bigger than they should be. He remembers working with dad, like when Dad had found out he had stolen his training gear. He hadn't been mad but instead launched enthusiastically into a training program he made specifically for Techno. He also remembers all the research they did together, Techno reading books in his office as he listened to the quill scratch as dad wrote down his latest adventures. He remembers sitting in the backyard with Wilbur, letting him braid his hair. And he remembers Tommy and Tubbo, chasing him around the backyard with sticks pretending to be zombies trying to get him. All these memories, all these feelings, they were supposed to be happy. But Techno couldn't feel anything. He was just... so...

Numb.

Nothing was bringing him any happiness. Nothing was bringing him any meaning to life. He would just sit out in his garden, or spar. All he did was waste time. That was it. He couldn't do anything else. He didn't...