Chapter 11: Bandages

"One, Two,"

Wilbur stood at the side of the path. His voice was calm, his demeanor perfectly unreadable. But inside he was shaking. He trusted Tommy. But standing with his back away from the number one adventurer and powerhouse, he looked so small with the bow in his hands.

It was Wilbur who had thought of the duel.

It would be his fault if Tommy died.

"Three, Four"

Wilbur ran away, hearing the sounds of TNT light. Multiple TNT. Even though Dream had only lit one. He watched Tommy jump into the water, quickly following suit and holding his breath as he plunged into the cold river. He felt the cold gaze of Eret from the other side of the battle field. Wilbur didn't understand why-

"Five, Six"

Wilbur stood at the podium. He read the election announcements. His throat tightened as he was forced to declare Schlatt as the winner.

"Seven, Eight,"

It was the same place where Tubbo would stand, panicked, as he was surrounded in concrete and Techno held the rocket launcher to his head.

"Nine."

Wilbur stood in the room, carving words to his nation's anthem into the walls. He didn't know what he was doing. He sung softly as he brought in the wood chair and place in in front of the button, so he could just stare and look at it. He brought his hand up above his head, and swung down, just like he had so long ago at the duel.

"Ten paces, fire."

"Aye! Wilbur!" Wilbur felt himself being shaken. He didn't realize how short his breaths had become. His lips were numb and his fingers tingled as he realized he wasn't getting enough oxygen.

He was-

He was hyperventilating.

"Wilbur!"

Wilbur opened his eyes, but he couldn't focus on anything. Everything was blurry. He couldn't-

Every touch felt so distant. He wasn't in his own skin. But he knew that Tommy had his hands on his arms.

"Wilbur, look at me."

Those words broke through to him. He broke through the hyperventilating and took a deep gasp like had never breathed before, reaching up and clutching Tommy's shirt. He was still shaking. 

"Hey. It's okay." Tommy said. "Look at me." 

Wilbur looked up, but not into his eyes. He could only look at the scar on Tommy's chin. The place where Dream's arrow struck and caused Tommy to lose the duel. It was easier then looking at Tommy's eyes.

He sat on the dirt of the underground ravine, the light of the fireplace allowed them to see far enough to the next lantern, and warmed the immediate vicinity. Wilbur didn't remember sitting down by it.

Tommy's hands were cracked and busted, knuckles bloodied from his brawl with Technoblade. Just a couple hours ago, Wilbur had lost his mind thinking about how funny it would be if Tommy and Technoblade had just killed each other in the pit, yet here Tommy was, making sure he was okay.

Wilbur guiltily looked at Tommy's bruises, his black eye and bloody nose. Technoblade had gone easy, Wilbur knows that if he wanted his twin could've just snapped Tommy's neck. But that didn't mean he wasn't going to duke it out until Tommy had learned his lesson. That he was not somebody Tommy could stand against.