Chapter 48: Hardships

Karl's Pov

As soon as we got inside the hospital, I was warned about George from Niki.

Apparently, he was given a relaxant to subdue his hallucinations and painkillers to subside his painful burns.

"Burns!? What burns?" I asked Niki.

"Oh sorry, I forgot to tell you yesterday...he escaped that house, but it was set on fire by someone. So after he managed to escape from the burning building, he suffered severe second-degree burns." Niki explained.

My eyes widened from shock, 'Wait...Dream burn his own house down? Why?' Then it clicked in a matter of seconds, 'He probably did it to destroy evidence and he most likely was successful with his goal.'

I shook my head and we made our way to a private room being guarded by Shlatt.

Shlatt perked up at the sight of us, "Oh hey, I heard Niki and you were going to be here today. How are you doing Karl?"

"I'm great, Shlatt. Better than I was a month ago."

"That's good." He smiled.

Our conversation was short and Niki said that I could head in on my own, as she needed to discuss some things with Shlatt.

I walked into the private room and spotted a cat at the foot of the hospital bed. It confused me a bit, 'Isn't there like a no animal policy in this hospital?'

I took a few more steps closer and noticed George.

He looked really out of it as he was playing with his blood-stained snowflake necklace. He had burns on his arms and a large but still minimal-sized teardrop-shaped one on his face right on his left eye. They had been mostly patched up but I could still see most of them peeking through the bandages and his eye patch.

I also spotted the smile marks on his neck and could only assume that he had more than what was on his neck.

I finally announced my presence in the room. "Hey, George." I smiled and then waved to him.

He jumped and shot up, now looking at me.

His uninjured eye widened, "Karl?!"

I got closer and sat on the chair next to his bed, "Yup, that's me." I smiled, trying my best to be happy about him.

He smiled brightly and started crying, "I never thought I'd never see you again, Karl."

He motioned for a hug and I got up and hugged him.

"I don't care if this hurts, I'm just so happy right now." George cried out.

After our long hug, I sat back down in the chair and the cat ran from the foot of the hospital bed to George.

He pet the cat on its head, "Hey Patches. How are you, girl?"

"So, what's with the cat?" I asked.

"Oh, well...she was Clay's cat but now she mine," George explained.